Eloquent Spacecraft Systems Long-Term Career

septemberWaves

Part 7: New Megido Spacecraft

The Megido 2 spacecraft is now in development. It's a two-kerbal spacecraft designed as an upgrade to the Megido 1 spacecraft, with improved systems, more redundancy, and the capability to stay in space for a lot longer. The Aries program continues to test the Megido 1 spacecraft.

Aries 4 and 5. Aries 4 is a test of the Megido 2 landing system. Aries 5 is a pad test of the launch escape system.

XFEfXOt.jpg

Spoiler

awXBd8f.jpg

Liftoff of Aries 4.

sNaVnwq.jpg

Parachute deployment successful.

iTLELtP.jpg

Landing successful.

Jsm8yM3.jpg

Aries 5. Pad test of the launch escape system.

SLgOInv.jpg

LES ignition successful. The LES uses solid rocket motors to propel the Megido 2 capsule away from the launch vehicle in the event of a failure on launch.

Aries 6. Mission objectives: test Megido 2 capsule on ascent and re-entry; test Bishop 7 launch vehicle.

c2VcpSB.jpg

Spoiler

6svnNtC.jpg

Ignition.

KvT0mRd.jpg

Liftoff of Aries 6.

s31cHOz.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

mgEIhfy.jpg

Breaking sound barrier. The B7 first stage is the largest first stage used so far. It is powered by 4 Hornet engines.

V5McPV0.jpg

Reaching maximum dynamic pressure.

RWwPVSB.jpg

First stage cutoff.

9M6N9eE.jpg

First stage separation.

DfvY5X3.jpg

Second stage ignition. The B6 second stage is powered by a single Hornet engine.

6qpe4rP.jpg

ToGE6f4.jpg

U6XiT8j.jpg

Second stage cutoff.

jgauB4l.jpg

Second stage separation.

n0zqpbo.jpg

Third stage ignition. The B5 third stage is powered by a Hemi Cuda engine, the same engine used on the B2 stage.

wtZDPwV.jpg

Third stage cutoff as 120km apoapsis is reached.

JetNxyd.jpg

Circularizing.

v8j9H4m.jpg

Circularization complete. The Bishop 7 launch vehicle performed as expected.

uk5Gc2V.jpg

De-orbiting. The vehicle is de-orbited with a periapsis of 40km.

XCDpscD.jpg

8Kaej5S.jpg

Service module separation.

5eYC27A.jpg

Entering the atmosphere.

OZ5MSLp.jpg

CHfuSHV.jpg

The heat shield performs as expected.

iiNaWaW.jpg

Drogue chute deployment.

faIKPUW.jpg

Main chute deployment.

5XYSV37.jpg

Landing successful.

With the Megido 2 systems fully tested, the crewed space program can continue. The Megido 2 spacecraft will allow kerbals to travel as far as Mun or Minmus orbit.

Part 8: Kerbin Research Station

It is time to construct a space station. The Kerbin Research Station will be a laboratory constructed in Kerbin orbit to conduct experiments and process science data that it receives from elsewhere. The first module includes a basic habitation module as well as power systems.

Launch of KRS-1. Mission objective: deploy first module of Kerbin Research Station in 500km orbit of Kerbin. Launch vehicle: Bishop 7.

WD1VQS5.jpg

Spoiler

pfleDum.jpg

Ignition.

9tgLch0.jpg

Liftoff of KRS1.

K0f0AdK.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

aWIBZTN.jpg

Reaching maximum dynamic pressure. This launch uses a slightly steeper gravity turn, and therefore the vehicle experiences less aerodynamic stress.

A3dMTup.jpg

LGhoa23.jpg

First stage cutoff.

nwY9YBf.jpg

First stage separation.

sXLluf1.jpg

Second stage ignition.

vn4MAnv.jpg

xY0tpqC.jpg

NUyY3RX.jpg

Second stage cutoff.

JZbrAmv.jpg

Second stage separation, fairing separation.

zOYGdHC.jpg

Third stage ignition.

7AOGIIm.jpg

Third stage cutoff, solar panel deployment. These solar panels are new, and can track the sun in one axis of rotation.

r5WQKq1.jpg

Circularizing.

bPczLpi.jpg

Circularization complete.

yPxm8CM.jpg

After some maneuvers to position the station in a 500km orbit of Kerbin, the third stage of the Bishop 7 launch vehicle is jettisoned.

SqIj2KH.jpg

The station changes orientation.

Launch of KRS-2. Mission objective: transport first science module to Kerbin Research Station. Launch vehicle: Bishop 7.

8yMx0dG.jpg

Spoiler

PoyXgW2.jpg

Ignition.

cmWkoqR.jpg

Liftoff of KRS-2.

The launch was identical to previous launches of the Bishop 7 rocket, so most footage will be skipped.

HTU6A8G.jpg

Fairing separation.

WnG5fGr.jpg

The station module in orbit. This module includes an airlock, a lab for conducting orbital experiments, and several docking ports.

eP4re8V.jpg

After several maneuvers, the module approaches the station.

VlMLhfZ.jpg

Payload deployment.

rdSo1pc.jpg

Approaching the station. This is the first docking maneuver to be done without kerbals in the vehicle to control it. It is possible that this is a benefit to the procedure.

vOks3lC.jpg

Docking successful. The module is not docked in the correct position, and will be re-oriented before the station is put into use.

g53kyvS.jpg

The station from a different angle.

Launch of M2 KO6. Mission objectives: first crewed launch of the Megido 2 spacecraft; test Megido 2 service module and docking systems; transport first station crew to the Kerbin Research Station. Crew: Valentina Kerman, Tandolin Kerman. Launch vehicle: Bishop 7.

BhpLwIK.jpg

Spoiler

cObPjlm.jpg

Ignition.

honWsus.jpg

Liftoff of M2 KO6.

Once again, most launch footage has been skipped due to similarity to previous footage.

WrU4Zpw.jpg

Third stage ignition.

iJaYVBm.jpg

Third stage cutoff.

j42dybP.jpg

Third stage separation.

TSD7Po8.jpg

SME ignition. The SME is a Terrier engine, identical to the sort used on the B3 stage.

Xa9OPKv.jpg

The service module is equipped with several powerful antennas, which will allow it to maintain a connection with the KSC from beyond the orbit of Minmus.

QSFWx5U.jpg

The Megido 2 spacecraft in orbit. It has been noticed that a fault in manufacturing means that the service module lacks the monopropellant thrusters required for docking. This will not mean that the mission cannot go ahead, but it will require the station itself to be turned to face the spacecraft for the docking procedure.

Qnc1rRU.jpg

Meanwhile, at the station.

vCapMMy.jpg

The science module undocks and prepares to move into its correct position. In its previous position, docked payloads would be dangerously close to the solar panels and risk damaging them.

KPSjN72.jpg

ANoPfKM.jpg

Re-docking succesful.

SRYnZvg.jpg

The station will usually maintain approximately this orientation relative to the sun, so that docked modules do not obstruct the solar panels.

CEBifB8.jpg

M2 KO6 approaches the Kerbin Research Station.

JN6E2w6.jpg

The station moves to face the spacecraft.

nBvRJKF.jpg

Docking complete.

KLiQ9tN.jpg

The station is re-oriented to face the sun (I do this automatically using MechJeb's Smart A.S.S by targeting Moho, since the sun itself cannot be targeted).

qPsGbHP.jpg

Tandolin Kerman conducts an EVA to test the airlock and inspect the station.

I'd appreciate some feedback on how I did the last mission report compared to others. Should I continue to skip most launch documenting of launches that are similar to previous ones, or should I keep up what I was doing previously, which is reporting on the entire launch even if it's very similar to recent launches?

Truncating the launches in this way makes perfect sense-- particularly for multiple similar/identical launches in sequence.

Nice little station.  I particularly like the use of the Mk-1 can as a dedicated "airlock."  But I wonder why that module wasn't rotated 90-degrees in respect to the solar panels, to keep the docking ports an panels in different (perpendicular) planes.  Just curious.

8 minutes ago, boccelounge said:

Truncating the launches in this way makes perfect sense-- particularly for multiple similar/identical launches in sequence.

Nice little station.  I particularly like the use of the Mk-1 can as a dedicated "airlock."  But I wonder why that module wasn't rotated 90-degrees in respect to the solar panels, to keep the docking ports an panels in different (perpendicular) planes.  Just curious.

Thanks for the feedback. I think if I don't do a launch with the same rocket for a while, I'll go back to the complete launch documentation, but otherwise I'll continue truncating it for repeat launches.

I'm glad you like the station so far. The airlock is needed because the M.O.L.E station modules don't actually have hatches (at least not visible ones), so currently the only access to the station is through the airlock or through the capsules of any spacecraft docked with the station. Even so, I like to have dedicated airlocks anyway because it feels more realistic.

The main reason the module is rotated the way it is is because of how I plan to expand the station. You'll have to wait for future missions to see exactly what I mean, but there is a construction-related reason for the orientation of the docking ports (although I have since realized that it's actually attached 180° in the wrong direction; I'll correct that later). It is also because that way, kerbals enter and exit the airlock perpendicular to the solar panels, so there's less risk of damaging them.

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

I think if I don't do a launch with the same rocket for a while, I'll go back to the complete launch documentation, but otherwise I'll continue truncating it for repeat launches.

That sounds like the best approach, IMO.

The airlock is needed because the M.O.L.E station modules don't actually have hatches...Even so, I like to have dedicated airlocks anyway because it feels more realistic

Agreed; I feel the same and also like using the small cans for that purpose.

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

The main reason the module is rotated the way it is is because of how I plan to expand the station. You'll have to wait for future missions to see exactly what I mean,.. It is also because that way, kerbals enter and exit the airlock perpendicular to the solar panels, so there's less risk of damaging them.

I should have guessed as much, on both counts.  I'll look forward to seeing the "final" product then.  Thanks again for sharing and discussing the career.

Part 9: Mun Missions

Two space probes are prepared to launch to the Mun. Cassiterite 2 is launched first.

Launch of Cassiterite 2. Mission objectives: fly by the Mun; return from flyby of the Mun. Launch vehicle: Bishop 1.

R3CdLKi.jpg

Spoiler

PbyPqgn.jpg

Liftoff of Cassiterite 2.

Er1Lz2n.jpg

Fairing separation.

G6AM9eK.jpg

In orbit.

jrPyobz.jpg

Payload deployment. The new Cassiterite probes use sun-tracking solar panels to ensure that they can always generate power.

N5N55V0.jpg

Commencing Mun transfer burn.

HzCfRiS.jpg

WYdNnp3.jpg

Mun transfer complete.

Launch of Cassiterite 3. Mission objectives: land on the Mun; transmit data from the Mun's surface. Launch vehicle: Bishop 1BB.

YUI47bA.jpg

Spoiler

wJatLQz.jpg

Liftoff of Cassiterite 3.

tHQ1EUr.jpg

Fairing separation.

KlxNQpO.jpg

In orbit of Kerbin.

NBXPBfP.jpg

Commencing Mun transfer burn.

22pfC4H.jpg

Third stage cutoff.

Vtxo88X.jpg

Third stage separation, transfer stage engine ignition.

yuDycYf.jpg

9rNyHAK.jpg

Transfer burn complete.

Continuation of Cassiterite 2 and Cassiterite 3:

Spoiler

7OvTr59.jpg

Cassiterite 2 approaches the Mun.

fbBEPx7.jpg

Science data is collected at periapsis.

h0mI1fT.jpg

Cassiterite 3 approaches the Mun soon after.

Fg5XdJz.jpg

G1TR14I.jpg

Circularizing.

UpGd6Mj.jpg

The TSE continues burning until it is out of fuel, completing the orbital injection and immediately de-orbiting for the landing approach.

g8JuMv5.jpg

TSE cutoff.

Gew5OiL.jpg

Transfer stage separation.

HpOOsn9.jpg

Lander engine ignition.

G7Yf3KS.jpg

Approaching the surface of the Mun.

0fvw0NU.jpg

WyMXQ0z.jpg

Unfortunately the Cassiterite 3 lander crashed into the surface of the Mun. It was found that the problem was insufficient fuel.

kpwDRzq.jpg

Cassiterite 2 leaves the Mun. It will have to perform a maneuver in 81 days to arrange another Mun flyby, which will place it on a sub-orbital trajectory around Kerbin.

Edited by eloquentJane

Part 10: Munar Gateway Space Station

The Mun program will soon reach the limit of what can be done with only autonomous spacecraft, so the Munar Gateway Space Station is designed. This station will be similar to the Kerbin Research Station, and will consist of six modules which will be sent to Munar orbit. In order to assemble the station, however, there will be a need for larger launch vehicles to place more massive payloads into orbit. The Bishop 9 launch vehicle is the most likely to experience a failure, so will be tested before it is launched with a functioning payload.

Launch of Bishop 9 Test Flight. Mission objective: test the Bishop 9 launch vehicle.

gNGUGo4.jpg

Spoiler

gfjuMlQ.jpg

Ignition.

RdFUwiK.jpg

Liftoff of Bishop 9 Test Flight.

v1YBqt5.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

s4g0s8Z.jpg

Breaking sound barrier.

CRWzFCA.jpg

The B-9 first stage is propelled by nine Hornet engines.

vHJJSBA.jpg

Reaching maximum dynamic pressure.

4X6vrWW.jpg

First stage cutoff.

CGf9nJB.jpg

First stage separation.

mT2alFh.jpg

Second stage ignition.

8w4lRfV.jpg

The B-8 second stage is propelled by two Hornet engines.

dNPbz57.jpg

ogFxgPg.jpg

Second stage cutoff.

U7LV59z.jpg

Second stage separation, fairing separation, third stage ignition.

2nD24gq.jpg

The third stage of the Bishop 9 rocket is a B-5 upper stage, the same as the third stage of the Bishop 7.

AOEgbv7.jpg

Third stage cutoff as 125km apoapsis is reached.

sCg7As7.jpg

Beginning circularization burn.

CWui3Ze.jpg

c0EMaQq.jpg

Circularization complete. The Bishop 9 launch vehicle performed as expected.

UAkVfjq.jpg

The test payload has no use in space, so it is de-orbited.

uPE6m7e.jpg

Continuation of M2 KO6:

g5Oiktg.jpg

Spoiler

It is time for Valentina and Tandolin to return to Kerbin.

rhuUeaD.jpg

Undocking from the Kerbin Research Station.

pvxrT9Z.jpg

De-orbiting.

UVUPQPC.jpg

vohqZdK.jpg

WBTBASi.jpg

C1R3haq.jpg

Re-entering.

FsBHHsb.jpg

Re-entry successful. Parachutes deployed.

vHQhiBp.jpg

Landing successful. Recovery operations can commence.

Continuation of Cassiterite 2:

SjJfBHH.jpg

Spoiler

The Cassiterite 2 spacecraft can now also return to Kerbin.

iwa2wPW.jpg

Executing a maneuver to fly by the Mun. This maneuver places the spacecraft on a flyby trajectory of the Mun that will then place it into a sub-orbital trajectory of Kerbin with minimal expenditure of fuel.

9rFgOAq.jpg

Approaching the Mun.

uqUVW5n.jpg

YPSom5s.jpg

aSJgHq4.jpg

Approaching Kerbin's atmosphere.

cp8GygH.jpg

Capsule separation.

DPABDtn.jpg

ed1DjMQ.jpg

After a rough re-entry, the parachutes are deployed.

wjCrlYU.jpg

Launch of MGSS1a. Mission objective: launch first module of the Munar Gateway Space Station into Kerbin orbit. Launch vehicle: Bishop 9.

CpiERpO.jpg

Spoiler

LQ1YWj8.jpg

Liftoff of MGSS1a.

5OomK8l.jpg

Fairing separation.

wUlQVUf.jpg

It is probably obvious at this point that the station has a very similar design to the Kerbin Research Station. The first module is almost identical to the first two modules of the KRS, except for the fact that it is launched as one module. This is because the KRS was needed before the Bishop 9 was ready to be launched, so the habitation/microgravity lab/airlock section had to be split into two launches.

ePqrejS.jpg

The station in Kerbin orbit.

JOxsWsM.jpg

B-5 stage separation.

Launch of MGSS1b. Mission objectives: launch Mun 1 transfer stage to MGSS; transfer MGSS to Mun orbit; test Bishop Heavy 2B launch vehicle. Launch vehicle: Bishop Heavy 2B.

yiYZ3Co.jpg

Spoiler

2dPcZoK.jpg

Ignition.

7PLYhbj.jpg

Liftoff of MGSS1b.

CnCVqk9.jpg

Commencing gravity turn.

bXJYtkX.jpg

100b4CF.jpg

SRB cutoff.

qmMqvjj.jpg

SRB separation. The explosion is somewhat concerning, but it does not appear that the launch vehicle sustained significant damage.

ySrRH2h.jpg

f3DWHUj.jpg

The solid rocket boosters were simple Kickback SRMs. The liquid rocket boosters are derived from the B-7 stage. The first stage core is also derived from the B-7 stage, but is 1.5x the length and has the corresponding amount of extra fuel.

v3Sx36c.jpg

LRB cutoff.

Gj5TRvf.jpg

LRB separation.

i6DlbsA.jpg

5LknHyH.jpg

1H3EUyV.jpg

First stage cutoff.

91IkuYS.jpg

First stage separation, fairing separation.

5vkBsiq.jpg

Second stage ignition.

qNKTrCw.jpg

The second stage is a B-8 stage. The fairing on this launch is not the standard fairing that the design should use, but engineers are currently experiencing difficulties with scaling up the standard fairing base to 2.5m diameter.

MEBlvRh.jpg

Second stage cutoff.

pKZFCgw.jpg

Commencing circularization burn.

KziliqF.jpg

The spacecraft is placed in a 110km parking orbit.

mWTnpOA.jpg

Payload deployment.

C2xYrEm.jpg

Once in orbit, the Mun 1 transfer stage rendezvouses with the Munar Gateway Space Station module.

wmrIMcT.jpg

mfeIr9F.jpg

Docking successful.

c8bLCrk.jpg

Commencing Munar transfer burn.

HqDJ2YG.jpg

The station's primary antenna is extended.

cbaB4sV.jpg

The burn takes several minutes due to the low thrust of the Terrier engine.

ZT0oTIY.jpg

Transfer burn complete.

DQJcZyr.jpg

Approaching the Mun.

M5PDcL0.jpg

EHoGiAk.jpg

Circularizing.

mRCPlEX.jpg

xoodd3e.jpg

The Munar Gateway Space Station is successfully placed in a 55km orbit of the Mun.

kPafT5W.jpg

The transfer stage undocks and moves away from the station.

vaLcGO4.jpg

gfKeWNh.jpg

De-orbiting the transfer stage.

HSfvEpG.jpg

The Munar Gateway Space Station in orbit of the Mun.

Edited by eloquentJane

19 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

wow...that looks really good. nice job, and I've only docked once in a scenario! I think I have it down now though...

those launch vehicles look really good, the mod list is in the OP right? yep...

Thanks, I'm glad you like these early designs. I expect that appearances will improve as this series progresses, partially because of a wider range of parts, and partially because of my own progress being made with aesthetic designing.

Docking took me longer to learn than any other basic aspect of the game (I mastered precision landing before I learned to rendezvous and dock) but now I'm experienced enough that I can dock even with the UI turned off. It's really just a matter of practice.

The mod list is in the OP, however I need to update it because I've made a couple of minor additions.

On 2/3/2017 at 5:11 PM, eloquentJane said:

Thanks for the feedback. I think if I don't do a launch with the same rocket for a while, I'll go back to the complete launch documentation, but otherwise I'll continue truncating it for repeat launches.

I'm glad you like the station so far. The airlock is needed because the M.O.L.E station modules don't actually have hatches (at least not visible ones), so currently the only access to the station is through the airlock or through the capsules of any spacecraft docked with the station. Even so, I like to have dedicated airlocks anyway because it feels more realistic.

The main reason the module is rotated the way it is is because of how I plan to expand the station. You'll have to wait for future missions to see exactly what I mean, but there is a construction-related reason for the orientation of the docking ports (although I have since realized that it's actually attached 180° in the wrong direction; I'll correct that later). It is also because that way, kerbals enter and exit the airlock perpendicular to the solar panels, so there's less risk of damaging them.

You might not have access to it yet, but MOLE comes with an Airlock Module (with newly added science container) and a 3-way hub. Also, the O-2 "Oxygen" thrusters double as an abort system. I'm enjoying your stories, they're fun to read and see how your space program develops. I think shortened launches is a good way to go as well. :)

14 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

You might not have access to it yet, but MOLE comes with an Airlock Module (with newly added science container) and a 3-way hub. Also, the O-2 "Oxygen" thrusters double as an abort system.

I'm familiar with both of these parts, though thanks for the suggestions. I don't know if I've unlocked the airlock module yet, but the way I want to expand my station meant that docking ports directly opposite each other were needed, so the airlock module wasn't ideal (I also think that the small command pod makes it look less technologically advanced than your airlock, which I think is right for the level of progress I've made so far). I'm also not sure if I've unlocked those thrusters, but at this point in the game I prefer to have a solid fueled LES because it feels more realistic. I have some potential uses in mind for the O-2 thrusters though.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're enjoying this series!

Edited by eloquentJane

Part 11: Mun Landing and Crewed Mun Orbit

Kerbin has had very limited satellite observations made of it so far. Several satellites are planned to be launched into Kerbin orbit, both for science and for relaying signals further out. The first is a magnetometer satellite identical to Cassiterite 1, that will conduct long-term surveys of Kerbin's magnetic fields.

Launch of Kerbin Magsat 1. Mission objective: deploy magnetic survey satellite in low Kerbin orbit. Launch vehicle: Bishop 1.

c7L6Xdm.jpg

Spoiler

vsXFUo3.jpg

Ignition.

Co65U3Z.jpg

Liftoff of Kerbin Magsat 1.

wvOc82c.jpg

Commencing gravity turn. This launch azimuth is used to place the satellite in a polar orbit.

qimigaB.jpg

Fairing separation.

g9sRGva.jpg

At circularization, the engine continues to fire to raise the apoapsis of the orbit, placing the satellite in a highly eccentric orbit.

ROBrctD.jpg

Payload deployment.

5MxkFhb.jpg

The satellite at apoapsis.

Now the Mun program continues, with a second landing attempt. Cassiterite 4 uses an identical lander to Cassiterite 3, but launched on a Bishop 4 this time.

Launch of Cassiterite 4. Mission objectives: land an autonomous vehicle on the surface of the Mun; transmit data from the surface of the Mun.

zTXuNf5.jpg

Spoiler

MRTxLad.jpg

Ignition.

qKbHewm.jpg

Liftoff of Cassiterite 4.

CgJ9BkK.jpg

Fairing separation.

oaVFr8l.jpg

In orbit of Kerbin.

H8P3HRT.jpg

Executing Mun transfer burn.

gRpBts5.jpg

Transfer burn complete.

aNPVisi.jpg

Approaching the Mun.

lXvk1d5.jpg

uNmlT7P.jpg

Executing orbital insertion burn.

m9ds6wL.jpg

Third stage cutoff and separation.

Cqlzsaa.jpg

Fourth stage ignition.

1fiXs1D.jpg

The lander is now on a sub-orbital trajectory.

JDc6exB.jpg

1e4kXdP.jpg

Final approach to land.

WyIkmld.jpg

Payload deployment.

d6cAVfg.jpg

Landing engine ignition, landing gear deployed.

8Jm3KKQ.jpg

Touchdown successful. The first landing on another celestial body has been achieved.

U07yM9R.jpg

Science equipment is deployed, and data is transmitted back to Kerbin successfully.

Now the KSC will attempt a similarly prestigious achievement. It has reached the time to send kerbals to orbit the Mun. The Munar Gateway Space Station is capable of sustaining two kerbals for a short-duration mission, and the tests performed on the Megido 2 spacecraft during M2 KO6 suggest that it is suitable for a trip to Munar orbit and back.

Launch of M2 MuO1. Mission objectives: transport 2 kerbals to Munar orbit; dock with MGSS; conduct studies of crewed habitation in Munar orbit; test MGSS systems; return crew to Kerbin from Munar orbit. Crew: Valentina Kerman, Natacella Kerman. Launch vehicle: Bishop Heavy 4.

XOgbAjN.jpg

Spoiler

idItJHT.jpg

Ignition.

ViFM11e.jpg

Liftoff of M2 MuO1.

rrQry6D.jpg

Commencing gravity turn. This is the first flight of the Bishop Heavy 4 launch vehicle. This rocket is similar to the Bishop Heavy 2B which launched earlier, but it has four LRBs and no SRBs. It lifts off with the full force of 20 Hornet engines. The large rocket is necessary to transport the Megido 2 spacecraft to the Mun with a single launch.

vIPE01A.jpg

Breaking sound barrier.Uza3f3w.jpg

1hlhjFV.jpg

Launch vehicle is performing nominally.

lZE7C2a.jpg

Booster cutoff.

xb0L4Qi.jpg

Booster separation.

oewtgvf.jpg

First stage cutoff.

SiQHc0P.jpg

First stage separation.

GFCQatE.jpg

Second stage ignition.

w9pmRB5.jpg

a9JLrxf.jpg

Circularization complete. The Bishop Heavy 4 launch vehicle performed as expected. It has a maximum payload to LKO of about 20 tonnes, and it is estimated that this is the most powerful rocket that can be constructed with currently available technology.

PVjgN6L.jpg

Executing Mun transfer burn.

f8D9bxX.jpg

Second stage cutoff.

JrAfw3U.jpg

Second stage separation, SME ignition.

MmVlVPv.jpg

The service module used for the Mun-capable variant of the Megido 2 spacecraft has the same service module engine, but double the fuel capacity. This provides it with enough delta-v to reach Munar orbit and return (and probably the same for Minmus in future).

ifyDP5C.jpg

Transfer burn complete.

yBGtQKN.jpg

Approaching the Mun.

UrQvYyY.jpg

wSzl2L6.jpg

Circularizing.

X0pxsKY.jpg

Circularization complete. The spacecraft is placed into a 70km parking orbit, and then performs a series of maneuvers to rendezvous with the Munar Gateway Space Station.

KuyWUhc.jpg

Approaching the station.

71lD883.jpg

It has been noticed that this new service module shares the same flaw as the previous version that was flown, and lacks RCS thrusters necessary for a more effective docking procedure. This means that once again, the station has to be turned to face the spacecraft. This flaw should be fixed in future iterations of the Megido 2 spacecraft.

edjNhvO.jpg

Docking successful.

wz0cfUI.jpg

The station re-orients to its correct position.

QeBit6j.jpg

Natacella and Valentina both conduct EVAs over the several-day duration of the mission in Mun orbit. They inspect the station and make basic observations of the moon below them.

v8kTkc7.jpg

Once the required data has been collected and tests have been performed, the crew prepare to return to Kerbin.

AeBtyaO.jpg

Undocking.

EGgTtns.jpg

Executing return maneuver.

MlkmRhe.jpg

iFuzWRw.jpg

Leaving the Mun.

YL6El18.jpg

Dq7GMab.jpg

SW7kXkG.jpg

TfXPdRD.jpg

Re-entering.

S1jBaoH.jpg

Re-entry successful.

C7wSaeq.jpg

Drogue chute deployment.

cqU9QWT.jpg

Main chute deployment.

1a6467Q.jpg

KWUorjq.jpg

Mission summary. Notable accolades earned include "First kerbal to orbit the Mun" (both); "First docking in Mun orbit" (both); "first EVA in Mun orbit" (Natacella).

The next missions will begin to move away from the Mun. A communications network must be set up to allow contact with spacecraft beyond the Mun's orbit, and once it is in place, the space program can begin sending missions to Minmus. The KSC has also received a contract to plant a flag on the Mun, as well as getting a significant boost in funding from some long-duration contracts to explore some of Sarvin's moons. Sarvin is extremely far away, beyond the orbit of Keelon, and it will probably not be reachable without some significant technological advancement. Even so, once we can send a dedicated mission there it should be quite rewarding, and luckily the contracts allow for several decades before completion.

Part 12: Space Telescopes and New Recruits

In order to collect more science data, a new type of satellite has been designed. Three small space telescopes are constructed, to be sent to polar orbits of Kerbin and its moons. Recent funding increases have also meant that the tracking station antennas could be improved, so there is now no longer a need for a relay network within Kerbin's SOI in order to receive signals from Minmus.

Launch of Kerbin SST-1. Mission objective: deploy small space telescope in polar orbit of Kerbin. Launch vehicle: Bishop 0.

FqZTYml.jpg

Spoiler

yC3vYqA.jpg

Ignition.

MRTnXeK.jpg

Liftoff of Kerbin SST-1. The launch vehicle is a Bishop 0, which is essentially a Bishop 1 without the B-2 stage. The space telescope will be launched into a polar orbit, and will conduct observations of the entire surface of the planet.

sQ8DTlJ.jpg

Fairing separation.

Y56iOFL.jpg

FMa4tmr.jpg

Payload deployment.

lb7kXET.jpg

mWSiQ67.jpg

In orbit.

8MM3uoJ.jpg

The telescope begins surface observations.

Launch of Minmus SST-1. Mission objective: deploy small space telescope in polar orbit of Minmus. Launch vehicle: Bishop 1.

HrKmBon.jpg

tZwp0SX.jpg

Liftoff of Minmus SST-1.

PSaIvBd.jpg

Fairing separation.

mmwOclM.jpg

Payload deployment.

POKUYHA.jpg

The space telescope approaches Minmus, being the first kerbal-made object to do so.

2fQO1zI.jpg

Zm9WQCM.jpg

Circularizing.

cX07qAc.jpg

Commencing surface observations.

Launch of Mun SST-1. Mission objective: Deploy small space telescope in polar orbit of the Mun. Launch vehicle: Bishop 1.

JfLu0bK.jpg

3agOSlW.jpg

Liftoff of Mun SST-1.

epegaKD.jpg

Payload deployment.

DVVpqVW.jpg

Approaching the Mun.

4iBxYED.jpg

Circularizing.

KJxqQks.jpg

Commencing surface observations.

For clarification and future reference, Minmus SST-1 is also Aquamarine 1, and Mun SST-1 is also Cassiterite 6. The SST designation is the name of the satellite (standing for Small Space Telescope), whilst the actual mission name is for the exploration program of the particular celestial body. This sort of naming scheme will continue in future.

Due to recent funding increases (partially thanks to data collected from the new space telescopes), the space program has been able to hire three new kerbonauts: Teree Kerman (Pilot), Milliana Kerman (Scientist), and Kathula Kerman (Engineer). Additionally, the KSC has invested in some conventional aircraft technology (as well as some less conventional aircraft technology). Teree will test out one of the new planes that are available. The current prototypes are...and she's already taken off.

tQIt05g.jpg

Spoiler

Teree is flying the prototype of the Juniper Jet, with Milliana and Kathula as passengers. The good news is that this is one of the least powerful of the aircraft prototypes available.

nMe9Obz.jpg

shelp2D.jpg

FV9gqH1.jpg

sf6GlD0.jpg

EkNk86R.jpg

xlL4JvC.jpg

kGqvYrS.jpg

nFqBdNQ.jpg

That test flight was actually rather uneventful. Several passes of the KSC in the subsonic Juniper Jet, followed by a successful runway landing. It went quite well for the first flight of a prototype aircraft made by an agency used to designing things to operate outside of an atmosphere.

yX75TQ5.jpg

All things considered, it's probably a good job that the new pilot was chosen for testing the planes rather than Valentina....oh no.

Vj9C13r.jpg

This is the Hemlock prototype. It's not designed to do that.

Spoiler

sOBBb7t.jpg

The Hemlock is supposed to reach at least Mach 2, but not when headed almost directly for the ground.

03yYmnI.jpg

RJ4xYAR.jpg

DIMUF6R.jpg

Several barrel rolls later...

QjGCyar.jpg

That landing looked quite potentially very dangerous, as the plane skidded along the runway with the engine still firing (though thankfully with the afterburner turned off) and spun to a stop right outside the spaceplane hangar. It's somewhat surprising that the Hemlock managed to stay intact; forces in that flight exceeded 9 gees. However, it is good to know what the plane is capable of.

mTyaizH.jpg

Another thing that pilots aren't supposed to do is lowering the front landing gear to get out of the plane. They're supposed to wait for one of those trucks with the ladder on it that airfields tend to have lying around. Still, the plane is surprisingly resiliant.

Edited by eloquentJane

Part 13: Another Plane & Some Minmus Probes

Shortly after the earlier flight testing, Valentina took the third prototype aircraft for a test flight. The Hawthorne SPP (Supersonic Passenger Plane) is a plane that combines several aspects of both the Juniper Jet and the Hemlock designs. It has room for 6 passengers and some cargo, and should be able to travel at several times the speed of sound once we can upgrade its air intakes. As it is though, the Hawthorne can already travel quite fast.

2GHKOHf.jpg

Spoiler

5CsXsmT.jpg

Shortly after takeoff.

aIKF3rK.jpg

The aircraft easily reaches Mach 3 with the engine afterburners enabled. It's not much more massive than the Hemlock, but has twice the thrust, giving it the potential to achieve extremely high speeds.

hJU6MHJ.jpg

qU8GZA5.jpg

1mg6C6k.jpg

nJhi91S.jpg

7QrcFUu.jpg

4oeqf9B.jpg

RRwT87A.jpg

JpNDwZs.jpg

ZMttQ15.jpg

0bJfhx8.jpg

Touchdown was successful. The plane performed excellently well, although it reached dangerously high accelerations during sharp turns at Mach 3.

YS8jCKN.jpg

Valentina and the Hawthorne SPP after the flight.

Launch of Aquamarine 2. Mission objectives: deploy magnetic survey satellite in polar orbit of Minmus; return science samples from space around Minmus. Launch vehicle: Bishop 4.

ssqCZEo.jpg

Spoiler

B1j8v25.jpg

Liftoff of Aquamarine 2.

Qjei1El.jpg

Fairing separation.

X3yfE2O.jpg

Approaching Minmus.

GNl3YlL.jpg

Deploying magsat.

9H5TBZ4.jpg

NfmPhhe.jpg

Magnetic survey satellite executes orbital insertion burn at periapsis, placing it in a highly elliptical Minmus orbit.

eXkeADB.jpg

The rest of the spacecraft collects science data, and then returns to Kerbin after its Minmus flyby.

TKhmGdB.jpg

Seperating the return capsule.

OnzGpJe.jpg

Re-entering.

plc3wQO.jpg

Re-entry successful. Parachute deployed.

LikAraM.jpg

Splashdown successful. Recovery operations can commence.

Well, I'm enjoying your logs thus far. I think shortening launch explanations for previously tested and used crafts was a good call. Speaking of tests, I enjoy seeing the testing process. I've actually created a science save since reading your posts where I intend to play similarly (though with unscaled GPP). Can't think of anything any critiques, so keep up the good work.

4 hours ago, kraden said:

Well, I'm enjoying your logs thus far. I think shortening launch explanations for previously tested and used crafts was a good call. Speaking of tests, I enjoy seeing the testing process... so keep up the good work.

In the spirit of feedback, I agree with @kraden, and I'll add that "failed" missions are also interesting to read (e.g. the first tiny Mun probe, IIRC).  I don't assume that you have many "failed" missions, but if you're going to play with more challenging and/or realistic settings. it fits well to see the ups-and-downs of the space program.

HTH.

Edited by boccelounge

DIMUF6R.jpg

Blimey...   how did you  attach that tail cone connector?

I think this part generates quite a lot of lift which the stock CoL indicator doesn't allow for (only wing parts),  so it might make the plane pitch unstable.   Also,  I don't see any dedicated pitch control surfaces other than the Panther's thrust vectoring, or are those outriggers you used to attach the wheels actually elevons?      The elevons on the main wing are a bit too close to CoM to do much.

The post format of one header picture and then the full series in a spoiler works well for me. The header picture doesn't always need to be the first one of the full series, the rocket on the pad - any significant moment from the mission would work, I think.

For the content, I'm enjoying the rocket-like rockets and the tiny probe designs - very professional!

4 hours ago, AeroGav said:

Blimey...   how did you  attach that tail cone connector?

I think this part generates quite a lot of lift which the stock CoL indicator doesn't allow for (only wing parts),  so it might make the plane pitch unstable.   Also,  I don't see any dedicated pitch control surfaces other than the Panther's thrust vectoring, or are those outriggers you used to attach the wheels actually elevons?      The elevons on the main wing are a bit too close to CoM to do much.

The tail connector is attached using Editor Extensions Redux, which allows for surface attaching of almost all parts, and then is clipped into the fuselage. There's another one facing backwards that points slightly out of the back of the engine (which I attached to the node of the first tail cone to stop it from causing excess drag) but it's not easily visible in most of the pictures I got of that flight.

The plane is actually surprisingly stable, and worked very well on the first flight. I'm not nearly as experienced with plane construction as some people are, yet I rarely have much difficulty making successful designs.

The elevons on the main wing are the primary pitch control surfaces for the plane (and actually the primary control surfaces in general, since rolling and pitching works better for a turn than yawing does for this plane). The ones right next to the main body of the plane might not be ideally positioned, but the back-swept wings mean that the ones on the end of the wings are far enough behind the center of mass to have some effect, I think. The wheels are just attached using structural pylons. In any case though, I think the Panther's thrust vectoring probably does help to some extent.

3 hours ago, CSE said:

The header picture doesn't always need to be the first one of the full series, the rocket on the pad - any significant moment from the mission would work, I think.

The reason I've been doing that for most logs is because most of them start with a launch, and I like to do them in chronological order. The times when I haven't started with a launch picture have been when I've been returning to something that's already in space. When I post about this series in the "what did you do in KSP today" thread, I do tend to pick images that are more eye-catching, but for this thread I prefer to maintain chronology.

3 hours ago, CSE said:

For the content, I'm enjoying the rocket-like rockets and the tiny probe designs - very professional!

This is actually mainly because I'm using 4x scale. Delta-v amounts are approximately doubled, and going by the times I've attempted to replicate real spacecraft at this scale (in other saves), it actually leads to proportionally larger rockets than their real counterparts for achieving the same purpose. But most of my designs are primarily for aesthetics, so although efficiency does have an effect, all I really do when designing rockets is figure out what I want it to look like and then figure out its maximum payload.

The tiny probes are also mainly because of the upscaling, and the fact that it's currently quite challenging for me to send significant masses anywhere. Most of the modules for the MGSS are probably going to have to be sent there using separate propulsion modules rather than with a single launch, since I suspect I'd need access to far more powerful rocket components than I currently have. I also design probes for aesthetics, and I like to limit the equipment they carry as well (I could stick all of the DMagic equipment on one space probe, but it wouldn't feel right for the way this series is supposed to work, and it would probably also look terrible).

Edited by eloquentJane

24 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

The elevons on the main wing are the primary pitch control surfaces for the plane (and actually the primary control surfaces in general, since rolling and pitching works better for a turn than yawing does for this plane). The ones right next to the main body of the plane might not be ideally positioned, but the back-swept wings mean that the ones on the end of the wings are far enough behind the center of mass to have some effect, I think. The wheels are just attached using structural pylons. In any case though, I think the Panther's thrust vectoring probably does help to some extent.

Ah good job on that second hidden cone.  Obviously the game just sees it as another stack parallel to the main fuselage so it won't reduce drag (the circular intake's pretty damn good anyway) but if you know enough about open drag nodes to cover both ends i'm sure you're aware of that !   I guess it

• gives you the appearance of a "poor man's shock cone" intake !
  • moves the heating effects further forward, away from the cockpit 
  • adds extra crumple zone (very important!)

As for the control scheme , it kinda reminds me of Britain's attempt to be first through the sound barrier

dh-108.jpg

I never use the rudder in flight either.   However,  being so close to the centre of mass, means the pitch controls are either going to have trouble commanding much nose up trim when the engine's at idle, or they're going to have to create a lot of downforce to do so, which works against the main wings trying to lift it up and raises the stalling speed.    I always like my planes to have low stall speeds , though in this case the engine's low speed performance isn't quite as good as the airframe's.

Spoiler

Crumple zones are great.   Wouldn't put Val in anything less than an NCAP IV rated aircraft.

Spoiler

Well it seems you know quite a lot about aircraft. I assumed that the elevons were the main factor that allowed the plane to pitch, but perhaps the engine gimbal has more effect than I realized.

As for crumple zones, I doubt it would work as well as you might think with this particular plane. The Hemlock basically consists of two separate airframes: the main one with all of the conventional plane parts, and a separate one consisting of two tail cone connectors attached to each other and clipped within the first fuselage. The front cone is attached to the plane, but the back cone is only attached to the front cone. This means that if the front one gets destroyed, there will essentially be two separate vehicles clipped together, which could potentially result in the entire plane getting destroyed. I think the cockpit might be safe, because the rear cone isn't clipped into it, but honestly if the plane experiences a crash like that the pilot won't be surviving anyway. I do have a mod installed that adds EVA parachutes for kerbals, and I'll be adding the necessary part to the cockpits of planes like this so that there is a safety mechanism. But honestly I think I'm good enough at flying already that I'll be able to land okay in most cases.

Part 14: Beginning of M2 MiO1

Launch of M2 MiO1a. Mission objectives: first crewed orbit of Minmus; collect science data from space around Minmus. Crew: Valentina Kerman (pilot), Natacella Kerman (scientist). Launch vehicle: Bishop 9.

YPL78th.jpg

Spoiler

Y8alYKs.jpg

Ignition.

bDvqlxn.jpg

Liftoff of M2 MiO1a.

ToeIcFT.jpg

Loss of one of the first stage engines. Luckily the B9 stage has enough engines to compensate.

8zdEhTQ.jpg

Flight continues without too much difficulty, though the first stage burn time is slightly longer than normal.

PRnNd5Q.jpg

First stage cutoff.

Q8kNMqt.jpg

First stage separation, second stage ignition. Hopefully there will be no issues with this stage.

me0Yb9f.jpg

Fairing separation. The payload contained within the fairing is a habitation module, to extend their habitation and work space during the transfer to Minmus. It would not be necessary if there was already a station in place in Minmus orbit, but it must be used for this mission.

zPH5FSn.jpg

In orbit.

mfjLZpc.jpg

X0KyH3H.jpg

0ohhbGZ.jpg

Payload separation. There is a separate transfer stage which will be used. It will be launched next.

Launch of M2 Mio1b. Mission objective: launch Minmus transfer stage to Kerbin orbit and dock with crew module. Launch vehicle: Bishop Heavy 2B.

GcNLPe8.jpg

Spoiler

6InSm8F.jpg

Ignition.

mDoTY3n.jpg

Liftoff of M2 MiO1b.

b98M9uv.jpg

Fairing separation. It's worth noting that fairings are now able to be manufactured with the larger 2.5m base diameter. This transfer stage is another Mun 1 stage, identical to one previously launched.

Cvbj9X5.jpg

Payload deployment.

32m3oPh.jpg

Approaching the crew module.

IhfxCML.jpg

Docking successful. The crew must now await the Minmus transfer window.

As the M2 MiO1 crew await the Minmus transfer window, the next Mun transfer window approaches. The next two modules of the Munar Gateway Space Station are prepared for launch. They are sent together and use a single Mun 1 transfer stage to reach the Mun.

Launch of MGSS2-3 Transstage. Mission objective: transport MGSS2 and MGSS3 to the Munar Gateway Space Station. Launch vehicle: Bishop Heavy 2B.

zUKKas6.jpg

Spoiler

vfe0Wls.jpg

Ignition.

TlLbOOS.jpg

Liftoff of MGSS2-3 Transstage.

3JneSp4.jpg

Loss of thrust in one of the first stage engines.

wZCetfA.jpg

Loss of the first stage engine that was losing thrust. The loss of one of the first-stage engines at this point in flight is not grounds for a launch abort. The vehicle manages to maintain the correct attitude thanks to the high gimbal range of the Hornet engines.

14KHftB.jpg

The second stage has to hold a higher pitch in order to ensure that the vehicle reaches orbit.

Do3zDBN.jpg

Payload deployment in Kerbin orbit.

Launch of MGSS2. Mission objective: add science module to the Munar Gateway Space Station. Launch vehicle: Bishop 7.

LgSHjJl.jpg

Spoiler

SQPVnIV.jpg

Ignition.

b8lqAG2.jpg

Liftoff of MGSS2.

80LoHtS.jpg

Fairing deployment. It became evident at this point in flight that the vehicle lacks any reaction wheels. The station module's RCS will have to be used to maintain attitude.

OjdUtzD.jpg

Solar panel deployment.

CGHspRP.jpg

Approaching the transfer stage.

hRx7swk.jpg

Payload deployment.

fopKGDq.jpg

Docking successful.

The next module for the Munar Gateway Space Station can be retrofitted with a reaction wheel for launch, as well as additional monopropellant supplies, but this means that the launch will have to be delayed and the modules will not be able to be sent to the station in the upcoming transfer window.

You've lost engines on a couple of launches.  What mod is this, Kerbalism?  Also, since this is sort of a story type mission log, even if the mod just breaks an engine, it would be kind of cool to see a recap of "why" it failed.  I realize you'd be making it up but I think it would be kind of cool.  Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.