DrunkenKerbalnaut

[1.2.x] Structural Tubing

Recommended Posts

DK Salvage is proud to present

Structural Tubing.

This mod adds a few structural components for ruggedizing your various crafts.

HBV2DqF.jpg

Spoiler

AgZ94ug.jpg

Spoiler

8s8C2VS.jpg

Spoiler

A2QRAOE.jpg

Spoiler

Ct4najr.jpg

Download Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9whvrrs39sauaoa/StructuralTubes1.0.6.zip?dl=1

Features:

-24 different tube sections, etc.

-FireSpitter TextureSwitch support. 

-Tweakscale support. 

-Agency and Flag. 

KottabosGames Review of v1.0:

License: Much like the mod itself, the license encourages you to do whatever you want (albeit, in a more colorful manner): License: WTFPL . However, be sure to observe Wheatons Law

Support/Bugs: I'm a friggin noob at this, but I'll do my best. Luckily it's just structural pieces. Don't expect cargo bays from me anytime soon :) . Feel free to bring up any issues in this thread. 

Credit:

@SpannerMonkey(smce) for modeling, making sweet rovers, and including FSTextureSwitch support. He did pretty much all the important stuff, really. 

@BureauJaeger for the addition of new textures for Firespitter users. The USI-alike one is my new fave. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut
1.0.6 - 3 more parts, and some other stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having these that could move fuel or the like would look cool on off world refineries using Kerbal Inventory....  Excellent work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fr8monkey said:

Having these that could move fuel or the like would look cool on off world refineries using Kerbal Inventory....  Excellent work!

I was torn on wether to allow fuel crossfeed. A Kerbal could easily route his/her fuel lines inside such a tube, to the benefit of the vehicle design. However, I wanted a way to justify these things to be as cheap as possible, and tough as nails, so I left crossfeed out for balance. 

The good news: you can simply change a single line in the .cfg file(s) and they will allow fuel crossfeed. You will be looking for "CrosfeedEnable: false" or something like that. Just make it "true". 

Anyways, glad you like it! Got any pics of how your using the pieces? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I was torn on wether to allow fuel crossfeed. A Kerbal could easily route his/her fuel lines inside such a tube, to the benefit of the vehicle design. However, I wanted a way to justify these things to be as cheap as possible, and tough as nails, so I left crossfeed out for balance. 

The good news: you can simply change a single line in the .cfg file(s) and they will allow fuel crossfeed. You will be looking for "CrosfeedEnable: false" or something like that. Just make it "true". 

Anyways, glad you like it! Got any pics of how your using the pieces? 

Can't you just make two versions of each one? A cheap one without crossfeed and a more expensive one with crossfeed. It wouldn't increase memory footprint of the mod since both parts use the same mesh (unless you wanted to add additional textures for the crossfeed capable one) and would add even more control over fuel flow.

In fact that's what I'm about to do myself now. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, m4ti140 said:

Can't you just make two versions of each one? A cheap one without crossfeed and a more expensive one with crossfeed. It wouldn't increase memory footprint of the mod since both parts use the same mesh (unless you wanted to add additional textures for the crossfeed capable one) and would add even more control over fuel flow.

In fact that's what I'm about to do myself now. :)

What if it was just a tweakable setting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These kind of basic parts are incredibly useful for all kinds of stuff! I hope we see more, maybe some curved versions of the angles for example? So far I've been using the tubes as simple bumpers on my rovers to hopefully make them a bit less explodey but I was thinking about building some kind of ultralight plane next.

A small bug report. The texture switch doesn't seem to work on some parts (other than the H that is). Firstly, I only had the first two camos and the solid green on some parts and some were the default dark grey. I tried to troubleshoot this yesterday and there seems to be unneeded semicolons:

//The line now, line breaks for clarity 
textureNames =
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Camo1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Camo2;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/green1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/;Hot1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/;Texture

//should be like this?
textureNames =
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Camo1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Camo2;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/green1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Hot1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Texture

But the odd thing is, I edited this on my install and had the missing textures appear on some parts but others still didn't have any alternative skins. The switch buttons are there, but they don't work. The FStextureSwitch2 module seems to be exactly the same in all the files apart from the objectnames, so I don't know where the problem might be. I saw no errors related to this in the logs either. Does anybody else have the same issue? I have a huge list of mods installed so it could just be my setup bugging out.

I noticed there's a light grey texture in the pack that's left out of the list, why is that? I tried it too and it seems fine, fits well with the stock airplane parts.

Also, would you consider adding a Tweakscale patch in the future? Would be convenient to have it included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BureauJaeger said:

These kind of basic parts are incredibly useful for all kinds of stuff! I hope we see more, maybe some curved versions of the angles for example? So far I've been using the tubes as simple bumpers on my rovers to hopefully make them a bit less explodey but I was thinking about building some kind of ultralight plane next.

A small bug report. The texture switch doesn't seem to work on some parts (other than the H that is). Firstly, I only had the first two camos and the solid green on some parts and some were the default dark grey. I tried to troubleshoot this yesterday and there seems to be unneeded semicolons:


//The line now, line breaks for clarity 
textureNames =
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Camo1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Camo2;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/green1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/;Hot1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/;Texture

//should be like this?
textureNames =
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Camo1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Camo2;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/green1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Hot1;
DKSalvage/Parts/FStextureSwitch2Textures/Texture

But the odd thing is, I edited this on my install and had the missing textures appear on some parts but others still didn't have any alternative skins. The switch buttons are there, but they don't work. The FStextureSwitch2 module seems to be exactly the same in all the files apart from the objectnames, so I don't know where the problem might be. I saw no errors related to this in the logs either. Does anybody else have the same issue? I have a huge list of mods installed so it could just be my setup bugging out.

I noticed there's a light grey texture in the pack that's left out of the list, why is that? I tried it too and it seems fine, fits well with the stock airplane parts.

Also, would you consider adding a Tweakscale patch in the future? Would be convenient to have it included.

*facepalm*.  

Thanks, I'll get that fixed. 

I'll have to reinstall FSTS2 to check your other problem. I'll update you tonight sometime. 

The light grey texture? Is it texture.png? That's just the standard texture for the pipes, sans FSTS2. Oh, wait. I'm an idiot.  Grey.png. Yeah, it just didn't make it into the module line. Will fix. Thanks for catching that. 

Tweakscale: you bet :)  

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

Well, @BureauJaeger...

Good news/Bad news?

Good: 2 new parts. Another 180* that fits to a scale, instead of arbitrary dimensions. 50cm x 50cm, actually. And another "H", also with meaningful dimensions -1m x 1m. The original ones are still there, so no broken .craft files. Just more options. Original "H" has a new .mu and config that plays well with FSTextureSwitch. You might see some node offset behavior when loading crafts built with the old model, but simply detaching and reattaching anything attached to it will fix it. And that's a good segway to...

Bad: FSTextureSwitch issues with half the parts? Yeah.... Still an issue. I'm thoroughly perplexed, and have given in for the evening. Same story with Tweakscale, and Crosfeed Toggles (SQUADS own module). And the same parts share these problems. The rest work fine. Beginning to think it might be something in the .mu, as that is really the only dark corner at this point. Any insight, @SpannerMonkey(smce)? Either way, feel free to check it out at

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/content_link/5aKHQ95K8FD3VtmJAUUVmSJR0rkVO9iDFMbOINz7bUAEnxpFZrL7FF5etxIg2XLG/file

But this is most certainly an EXPERIMENTAL RELEASE, for lack of a better term (like "crap that doesn't work"). The good news for those that play without Firespitter or Tweakscale: you get all the good, none of the bad. :)

The spoilered information is out of date. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DrunkenKerbalnaut bearing in mind that they all work before i send them on to you, the reference in the cfg for the texture switch is not the model name but the mesh name,

objectNames = crank1   // not the model name but the mesh name

if you use a good example is the double 45, the mesh name for that is crank1, if you open the mu with notepad++ the mesh name is usually the third human readable word in the mu, why is it different? it doesn't have to be, but in dev it has to be something i know exactly what it is by it's name, and in this case crank1 tells me what it is, I can send you the dev folder that still is in my pref'd form that has the dev cfg's etc.  if you need it , but in this case it's not rocket science :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@DrunkenKerbalnaut bearing in mind that they all work before i send them on to you...


objectNames = crank1   // not the model name but the mesh name

 

Haha, yes. Yes they did. Sorry if it seemed I was implying otherwise. I had been looking at it too long, made some doofus typos. Fixed ver. up in a few. Thanks for the insight. 

 

6 hours ago, Kombat engineer said:

KottabosGames did a review. Also add ckan support.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUawj5QRYYM

Hey, will you look at that? Thanks for taking the time. I'll link it in the OP.

CKAN? I've never used it, and I read mixed reviews a lot. Don't hold your breath for that one. 

6 hours ago, AdrianK. said:

Great mod! It will be very useful for my vehicles :D

Feel free to share a pic when you get something together! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! Everything seems to be working beautifully! Fuel crossfeed is going to make things interesting, it opens up all kinds of possibilities. (Now, where could I find a fitting cockpit for a Bell 47.)

If I may throw out another suggestion, a short and stubby straight piece would be useful for fine-tuning lenghts. I'm thinking perhaps a quarter of a metre?... Because, as they say, it's not the size of your structural tubing that matters, it's how you use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BureauJaeger said:

a short and stubby straight piece would be useful for fine-tuning lenghts. I'm thinking perhaps a quarter of a metre

Just pushed another few bits to DK,  definitely needs a couple of stubby tubes, I/2 and 1/4 mtr , this next lot is T's

goBz1gm.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great! By the way, do you need any additional textures? I was thinking I might create some new ones for my own use, seeing as they're simple pngs, and if I come up with something presentable and useful I'd be happy to distribute them as a submod or a part of the pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BureauJaeger said:

That's great! By the way, do you need any additional textures? I was thinking I might create some new ones for my own use, seeing as they're simple pngs, and if I come up with something presentable and useful I'd be happy to distribute them as a submod or a part of the pack.

What do you have in mind? I don't see a problem with 2 or 3 more :) . 512x512 is a good size, unless the texture needs 1024x1024. 

I'll have the new pieces up sometime today. Gonna try to spruce up the OP a bit, as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been up and down this forum and google looking for a way to add an editor tab to better organize these. I remember at least one mod using it before, but everybody seems to be saying that's not exactly API-moddable or whatever. Anyone know how that's done? 

Anyways, headed out to do groceries, then I'll get the new parts up. 

EDIT: if you are googling from the future, this is DK from the past :) . "Community Categories" adds this functionality somehow. Not sure if I will add it to ST though. We'll see. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2.12.2016 at 4:09 PM, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

What do you have in mind? I don't see a problem with 2 or 3 more :) . 512x512 is a good size, unless the texture needs 1024x1024. 

I'll have the new pieces up sometime today. Gonna try to spruce up the OP a bit, as well. 

A chrome look with a sort of faux reflection would be nice, but it really only works if the texture wraps around the cylinder the same way in all the pieces, I think. Similarly a copper pipe could be useful for fuel lines and such. Perhaps a couple of solid colours with a bit of sheen for sporty rovers; a snazzy racing red and a hi-vis kerbal green. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.