Gravity turn challenge

Kussris

Hi!
This is a nice rocket that has just enough delta v to get into low Kerbin orbit and back.
Can you fligh it into orbit?
Have a try .... (if you know how a gravity turne works)

File for KSP 1.2.1:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-Q0g-nbUkOSFNNU05iSEdpM0E/view?usp=sharing

Reward:

For the Kerbonaut how has the most fuel left during the reentry to Kerbin I offer a post flight data and charts like this:

http://imgur.com/a/KlGKj

But I need the .craft file of the rockte to do a testflight to log the data. Only stock!!!

expire date: 15.12.2016

Thanks for your interest!

xQ2mfuZ.png

Edited by Kussris

My 2nd try (the first I flipped out because I got a bit too aggressive on 2nd stage turning, because I didn't turn the 1st stage enough before aerodynamics said "no"), got to VLKO (71ish km ap/pe) with 27.92 LF in the tank. I decided to splurge and burn my Pe down to 40 instead of 69.9 :) and during re-entry had 24.68 LF in the tank.

4 jpgs behind a spoiler:

Spoiler

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

Even came down near KSC :)

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

My 2nd try (the first I flipped out because I got a bit too aggressive on 2nd stage turning, because I didn't turn the 1st stage enough before aerodynamics said "no"), got to VLKO (71ish km ap/pe) with 27.92 LF in the tank. I decided to splurge and burn my Pe down to 40 instead of 69.9 :) and during re-entry had 24.68 LF in the tank.

4 jpgs behind a spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

screenshot4.jpg

Even came down near KSC :)

Thanks for posting the pic's. That is more fule than I ever left over in the tanks and I fly my kerbal tourist with the rocket into the orbit. In my eyes your result is very good!

6 hours ago, Kussris said:

Thanks for posting the pic's. That is more fule than I ever left over in the tanks and I fly my kerbal tourist with the rocket into the orbit. In my eyes your result is very good!

Well I *WAS* able to turn SAS on, which I think you weren't with a tourist. I kinda guessed that with the Stayputnik on top that you needed it for control, but hey it wasn't in the contest rules so :D

FWIW I tilted 5-10 degrees immediately, let it get up to about 50m/s, then just cranked it down to the East as much as I could (not much). By the time the solid let out I was tilted maybe 60 degrees off the horizon. I kicked it off and then ran the Reliant at about 1/3 throttle sideways, to keep going but not send my Ap into deep space. When the Ap just hit 70km, my Pe was still underground but not much.

Another one. OK, let's do this one in the spirit of the original mission, which is tourism on the cheap. No SAS, no navigational tools, no advanced probes beyond the Stayputnik, and no adjusting any settings.

Spoiler

27.62 fuel left at low Kerbin orbit. 71.952 km apoapsis, and 71.090 km periapsis. Had 21.76 fuel after de-orbit, and landed within 100 km of the Space Centre.

I could do better with more practice, but I like putting these short stories together too.

--

14 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Another one. OK, let's do this one in the spirit of the original mission, which is tourism on the cheap. No SAS, no navigational tools, no advanced probes beyond the Stayputnik, and no adjusting any settings.

Reveal hidden contents

27.62 fuel left at low Kerbin orbit. 71.952 km apoapsis, and 71.090 km periapsis. Had 21.76 fuel after de-orbit, and landed within 100 km of the Space Centre.

I could do better with more practice, but I like putting these short stories together too.

--

Thank you for the video!! I really like it. It seems to be that this is not real a challange for you?. But anyway ... thanks for give it a try.

18 hours ago, Kussris said:

Thank you for the video!! I really like it. It seems to be that this is not real a challange for you?

After launching the stock Kerbal 1-5 thrust-limited orbiter a few hundred times in another challenge, I've had a lot of practice. This one was neat too, in that you succeeded in doing orbital tourism this early in a career game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.