Real time clock

Hello,

I've tried to find the right place for this, and decided here was the best place I could find. Please move it if there's a better one :-)

I found the Real Time Clock mod a while ago. It display the time in the real world in game - this is really useful since I play full screen, and can't see my computer clock. Now that I'm getting back into KSP, has anyone seen a mod that performs a similar function? Apparently the one I linked to hasn't been updated since KSP version 0.21 :-(

Thanks,

Starbeamrainbowlabs

I don't think there is an alternative. There is TotalTime that display a lot of time related information but not the current time.

The source is included in the download so I may be able to update it to KSP 1.2.1 but I have my own mod I like to finish first. I also have little experience in modding KSP but this one should be simple enough for me :wink: Don't expect it right away but I'm thinking on it.

5 hours ago, Li0n said:

I don't think there is an alternative. There is TotalTime that display a lot of time related information but not the current time.

The source is included in the download so I may be able to update it to KSP 1.2.1 but I have my own mod I like to finish first. I also have little experience in modding KSP but this one should be simple enough for me :wink: Don't expect it right away but I'm thinking on it.

Oh thanks! It's totally not a huge deal - just a nice to have. I can always press alt to bring up my OS's UI anyway in the mean time.

2 hours ago, Qwarkk said:

Kerbal Engineer includes a system clock. You just need to customise the information shown and add it to the display.

It does? Oh cool! I'll have to take a look into that mod. 

Edited by Starbeamrainbowlabs
spelling correction

3 hours ago, Starbeamrainbowlabs said:

Upon investigation, I've discovered that Kerbal Engineer Redux doesn't support the latest version of Kerbal Space Program. I'll have to wait until the mod developer updates it, I guess.

There is a dev version here. It is working just fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've send a PM to @Jarcikon to ask if he mind I maintain his mod.

In the meantime I have an unofficial working version here, basically the same behavior as before. You can now toggle on which scene the clock is display (GameData/RealTimeClock2/PluginData/Settings.cfg) and it also display on the KSC view.

Edited by Li0n

Apologies for being an incredible pragmatist here but what's wrong with a regular clock? A clock on the wall, a clock next to your bed, a clock on your desk, a clock on your phone, a clock on you wrist.
Seriously, I don't get it.

Edited by Tex_NL

29 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Apologies for being an incredible pragmatist here but what's wrong with a regular clock? A clock on the wall, a clock next to your bed, a clock on your desk, a clock on your phone, a clock on you wrist.

You have to have a space for it, have the clock, and think to look over.  This is right in front of you, doesn't cost anything else, and works.  :wink:

(Not that I would use it myself, but I can see why.)

3 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

I'm too lazy to turn my eyes and watch the clock as the phone's clock I'll even need to push a button to see it, way too hard. So I wrote/update a plugin that does just that :D

Original author of Real Time Clock has respond to my message and give me his ok for maintaining his work. So here is Real Time Clock 2.

On 10/12/2016 at 3:43 PM, Tex_NL said:

Yeah, it's not something that you'd immediately find useful. For me though, I keep forgetting to check my watch / clock (I have aspergers) - so having one on my screen means that I won't loose track of time :-)

On 10/12/2016 at 1:05 PM, Li0n said:

I've send a PM to @Jarcikon to ask if he mind I maintain his mod.

In the meantime I have an unofficial working version here, basically the same behavior as before. You can now toggle on which scene the clock is display (GameData/RealTimeClock2/PluginData/Settings.cfg) and it also display on the KSC view.

Oooh, thanks! I'll have to try that one out. Is it in CKAN, or do you install it manually?

Edited by Starbeamrainbowlabs
spelling correction

45 minutes ago, Starbeamrainbowlabs said:

Oooh, thanks! I'll hav eto try that one out. Is it in CKAN, or do you install it manually?

Probably not on CKAN (never used it). I'll see what I need to do to make it available there, I need to do it for my other mod too.

The first link I post (the one you quoted) is NOT the last/official release, you can get it here :

Edit : you obviously already saw it :wink:

Edited by Li0n

57 minutes ago, Starbeamrainbowlabs said:

Yeah, it's not something that you'd immediately find useful. For me though, I keep forgetting to check my watch / clock (I have aspergers) - so having one on my screen means that I won't loose track of time :-)

Whenever I have a day off but still have an appointment I simply set an alarm clock. That way I can completely ignore time but still get a warning I have to get ready.
Any kind of alarm clock, even something as simple as an egg timer, would suffice. Just place it in an inconvenient location in order to make sure you'll have to physically leave your desk to shut it down.

IIRC Kerbal Alarm Clock can set real world timers.

2 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Whenever I have a day off but still have an appointment I simply set an alarm clock. That way I can completely ignore time but still get a warning I have to get ready.
Any kind of alarm clock, even something as simple as an egg timer, would suffice. Just place it in an inconvenient location in order to make sure you'll have to physically leave your desk to shut it down.

IIRC Kerbal Alarm Clock can set real world timers.

So you have a solution that fits your workflow.  Good.  :wink:  Other people's workflows are different - no harm in their solutions existing, especially if (as with a mod) their solution doesn't impact yours in any way.

(And, of course: A timer at a set time in the future is different than knowing what the time is now.)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

(And, of course: A timer at a set time in the future is different than knowing what the time is now.)

And that's why I already answered that part of the question. It's called a clock!

Edited by Tex_NL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.