Okay, now I'm REALLY confused!

I really don't know what to make of my current game status, or whether I'm being incredibly dim (always a possibility ;0)) or whether there truly is just something massively screwy about my installation. I'll explain:

I'm in career mode. I have R&D as far as "advanced rocketry". I took on a contract - showing up in the Mission Control archives as completed - to "Haul RE-15 "Skipper" into orbit of Kerbin. I did this. I did however, recover the craft forgetting to take a crew report. No biggie except I got no science for the contract.

Now, I have an active contract to "test 48-7S "Spark" liquid fuel engine in flight". Inside the VAB currently, in my "engines" panel, this 48-7S Spark is shown, but in a green-shaded box. If I try to use it, it tells me "contains untested experimental parts" and won't let me to launch. However - and here's the weird bit - despite having completed an earlier contract with the "Skipper" engine, this engine no longer appears anywhere, and is not available. Furthermore, it is now a part of "Heavy Rocketry" inside R&D.

This is so confusing! I've completed a contract with an engine that I now no longer have, and have accepted a contract to test an engine, and which is available to select, but I am not allowed out of the VAB with.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure why you can't test the spark - are you trying to fit it to the skipper powered rocket?  If so that is why you are having a problem.  The game lets you test parts above your current tech level.  This part will be available to you until you actually test it.  Once you have tested it it reverts back to it's tech node and won't be available until you unlock the node or get another test part contract.  Hope this helps.

These part test contracts often involve a part from a node one tech level more advanced that what you have researched. When you accept it, you are allowed to use the part until you complete the contract. Basically, you got an "experimental" version. When you complete the contract, you lose that part until you research it normally. 

You should be allowed to use the spark if you have accepted a contract to test it - the green box means that it is experimental. Do you still have a skipper on your rocket (did you re-use the booster?) - that would explain the issue. 

Can you send a screenshot of your error message, the contract and the rocket you are trying to launch?

Thank you both for your answers.

I seem to have overcome the block. What I did was to begin a new rocket and build it all from scratch. This time, it's let me go to the launch pad! I have the Spark attached to a (newly constructed) rocket powered by the LV-T45.

This may be related to a different issue I've had, which is that if I, for example, click and delete inside the VAB and realise I've deleted the entire rocket, I use "ctrl+z" to undo. Yes, the rocket comes back, but if I then try to launch, it tells me that my rocket has no active control systems! and I have to then begin again by selecting a command module from the build panel.

Might be some odd glitch. A bit annoying to have to keep building rockets from scratch, but if it lets me keep playing...

Thanks yes, I know about saving rockets etc. My point above was more that whatever the saved status of something, if I use "ctrl+z" at any time before launch, I get a warning box pop up telling me that my rocket has no control systems - as if somehow during the "undelete" some part got erased. The only way I can then get out of the VAB is to build a new rocket from scratch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.