MKS Documentation Development

PocketBrotector

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

I've added my Karibou Mobile Builder to the example craft page.  Tell me if there's something unclear, or should be addressed.

Looks good to me.

4 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

The home page of the MKS wiki begins with a warning that says:

This page reflects changes implemented in 0.50, but prior to 0.50.9. Some of the ratios may be off unless noted otherwise

Even if most of the info is actually up-to-date, a reader who's new to MKS won't know that, and the warning gives the impression that it's outdated.

We're more up to date than this aren't we guys?

On 2/2/2017 at 0:37 PM, dboi88 said:

Does anyone have the time to add a bit of a road map and empty pages for more example crafts? I think if we get the pages up and ready to be filled in we'll get them filled up in short order.

It looks like the plan now is to add the sample ships to a single page.  If someone comes up with a road map, I can create the filler pages.

As I get ready to update the MKS Wiki to capture changes in ratios and resource numbers when the next patch comes out, I realize there has to be a better way to extract the numbers than manually scanning each .cfg file.  Is anyone aware of a "part module viewer" app that allows easy extraction of relevant data?  I'm thinking something like a DOM viewer for HTML.

On a related note, the part file often seems to express all resource consumption numbers in "per sec', but the game shows some of these as "er hour" or "per day".  This may be a @SQUAD question, but what are the rules for determining how the resource value is shown in game?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

I like @LatiMacciato's image.

Big red arrow. Can it go in the wiki? Maybe there should be a topic about "The Kolonization Dashboard" between "Kore Design" and "Parts" on the home page?

Yeah get it in there. Just make sure you kite both blizzys and stock examples. Example images are available on the KSPedia github

@dboi88 Basically I just copied the KSPedia as the text there is perfectly fine :D. Gosh, I got lost in the KSPedia github, simply because it is so huge! Amazing. I couldn't find an image Blizzy's toolbar icon. On my KSP it appears as GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Kolony24.png .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I would really like for the wiki to have the converters listed for all of the applicable parts, so that I can use the MKS wiki as a quick reference for the numbers I need when I need to run some calculations. I went ahead and started writing some tables that I would like to add to the wiki to do this. I am very new to this, so I figured it would be best for me to post what I have finished so far here so that I can get some feedback and suggestions regarding formatting and anything else. This is what I have so far, for a couple of the Tundra Parts. I pulled all the numbers directly from the .cfg's. Writing these has kinda been a pain to get aligned properly, so if anyone can suggest a more easy to format with which to write these tables I would be happy to do the grunt work of copying and pasting the necessary data.

MKS Tundra Agriculture Module

These modules can be toggled to provide the following resource converters. Note that the 2.5m Agriculture Module only provides a single converter while the 3.75m Agriculture Module provides two converters that can be independently toggled. Agriculture Module only provides (Values are in units per second and assume 100% load) 

Agroponics: 

> Inputs   | `Fertilizer`       | `Mulch`            | `ElectricCharge`   | `Machinery`        |
> --------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|
> 2.5m     | 0.00021            | 0.0021             | 4.62               | 0.000002           | 
> 3.75m    | 0.000375           | 0.00375            | 8.25               | 0.000008           | 

> Outputs  | `Supplies`         | `Recyclables`      | 
> --------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|
> 2.5m     | 0.00231            | 0.000002           | 
> 3.75m    | 0.004125           | 0.000008           | 

Cultivate(S):

> Inputs   | `Fertilizer`       | `Substrate`        | `Water`            | `ElectricCharge`   |`Machinery`         |
> --------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|
> 2.5m     | 0.000043           | 0.0043             | 0.0043             | 9.07               | 0.000002           |
> 3.75m    | 0.000074           | 0.0074             | 0.0074             | 15.61              | 0.000008           |

> 2.5m     | 0.00043            | 0.000002           | 
> 3.75m    | 0.00074            | 0.000008           | 

Cultivate(D):

> Inputs   | `Fertilizer`       | `Dirt`             | `Water`            | `ElectricCharge`   |`Machinery`         |
> --------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|
> 2.5m     | 0.000018           | 0.0045             | 0.0045             | 9.2                | 0.000002           |
> 3.75m    | 0.0000315          | 0.007875           | 0.007875           | 15.61              | 0.000008           |

> 2.5m     | 0.00018            | 0.000002           | 
> 3.75m    | 0.000315           | 0.000008           | 

Agriculture(S):

> Inputs   | `Fertilizer`       | `Substrate`        | `Water`            | `ElectricCharge`   |`Machinery`         |
> 2.5m     | 0.000015           | 0.00375            | 0.00375            | 8.57               | 0.000002           |
> 3.75m    | 0.0000262          | 0.00655            | 0.00655            | 14.96              | 0.000008           |

> Outputs  | `Organics`         | `Recyclables`      | 
> 2.5m     | 0.00045            | 0.000002           | 
> 3.75m    | 0.000786           | 0.000008           | 

Agriculture(D):

> Inputs   | `Fertilizer`       | `Dirt`             | `Water`            | `ElectricCharge`   |`Machinery`         |
> 2.5m     | 0.0000083          | 0.00415            | 0.00415            | 9.06               | 0.000002           |
> 3.75m    | 0.0000144          | 0.0072             | 0.0072             | 15.71              | 0.000008           |

> Outputs  | `Organics`         | `Recyclables`      | 
> 2.5m     | 0.000083           | 0.000002           | 
> 3.75m    | 0.000144           | 0.000008           | 

MKS Tundra Agriculture Support Module

This module can be toggled to contain three of the following resource converters:

Fertilizer(G):

> Inputs   | `Gypsum`            |  `ElectricCharge`  | `Machinery`        |
> --------:|:------------------:||:------------------:|:------------------:|
> 3.75m    | 0.0272              | 29.92              | 0.00004            | 

> Outputs  | `Fertilizer`       | `Recyclables`      | 
> 3.75m    | 0.0136             | 0.00004            | 

Fertilizer(M):

> Inputs   | `Minerals`          |  `ElectricCharge`  | `Machinery`        |
> 3.75m    | 0.0305              | 31.72              | 0.00004            | 

> Outputs  | `Fertilizer`       | `Recyclables`      | 
> 3.75m    | 0.0061             | 0.00004            | 

H2O (Hyd):

> Inputs   | `Hydrates`          |  `ElectricCharge`  | `Machinery`        |
> 3.75m    | 0.0272              | 29.92              | 0.00004            | 

> Outputs  | `Water`            | `Recyclables`      | 
> 3.75m    | 0.0136             | 0.00004            | 

H2O (Ore):

> Inputs   | `Ore`              |  `ElectricCharge`  | `Machinery`         |
> 3.75m    | 0.0305             | 31.72              | 0.00004             | 

> Outputs  | `Water`            | `Recyclables`      | 
> 3.75m    | 0.0061             | 0.00004            | 

MKS Tundra Kerbitat

Recycler:

> Inputs   | `ElectricCharge`   |
> --------:|:------------------:|
> 2.5m     | 37                 |
> 3.75m    | 138                |

Purifier:

> Inputs   | `Water`            | `ElectricCharge`   | 
> 2.5m     | 0.00905            | 37                 | 
> 3.75m    | 0.009325           | 138                | 

Hab-Common:

> 2.5m     | 0.235              |
> 3.75m    | 0.813              |

> Outputs  | `Crew Capacity`    | `Hab Multiplier`   | `Kerbal Months`    | 
> --------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|
> 2.5m     | 4                  | 2.35               | 0                  | 
> 3.75m    | 6                  | 5.42               | 0                  | 

Hab-Quarters:

> 2.5m     | 0.4625             |
> 3.75m    | 1.625              |

> Outputs  | `Crew Capacity`    | `Hab Multiplier`   | `Kerbal Months`    | 
> --------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|
> 2.5m     | 4                  | 0                  | 18.5               |
> 3.75m    | 6                  | 0                  | 65                 |

MKS Tundra Colonization Module

Living Module

> Inputs   | `ColonySupplies`   | `ElectricCharge`   | 
> 2.5m     | 0.000278           | 18                 | 
> 3.75m    | 0.000833           | 138                | 

Edit: Oh crap, it looks like I pulled these numbers from version 0.50.15. Hopefully they were not changed in 0.50.17.

Edited by Rabada

The trick is that they don't actually need to be aligned - they just have to have the same numbers of pipe characters.  (Also, while starting with '>' appears to work, it's not a good idea, as that typically means 'blockquote'. )

So this is technically identical to the first table above:

| Inputs   | `Fertilizer`       | `Mulch`            | `ElectricCharge`   | `Machinery`        |
|--------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|:------------------:|
| 2.5m | 0.00021            | 0.0021      | 4.62 | 0.000002 | 
| 3.75m    | 0.000375     | 0.00375            | 8.25           | 0.000008       | 

And if you want them all to line up nicely, you feed it through a tool that can reformat.  I use Pandoc, set into GitHub mode for output.  (Note that if you have a preferred input format, Pandoc can probably read it...)

Hi! So I have been working on the Wiki page for the Konstruction ports, because I finally figured out how they are supposed to work.

You can check out my text here: https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Konstruction)#advanced-construction-port-usage

I tried to make sense of the whole Angle Snap and Compress Parts (Rotate) business, and expanded a bit on the various Port settings.

Please read it and give feedback if any of that makes sense to you, and if not please mention the parts where confusion arises.

(obviously, you can also report or fix typos, grammar, and spelling mistakes :) )

I would request a little help on the illustrations, though. 

First, I would suggest to split up @dboi88 amazing diagram: https://github.com/dboi88/USI-MKS-KSPedia/raw/master/MKS KSPedia/Assets/Pages/Konstruction Parts/magnet diagram.png

Instead of having them as one giant diagram, the parts should go into the individual sections under "Settings", below their textual explanation.

Second, if you read this paragraph, your head might start spinning:

Spoiler

Look at the picture of the Konstruction port above. You are looking onto it along the "docking axis". The Port itself has a preferred orientation: the black rectangle is what we call the "top". What I mean when I say "respective roll angle" is the angle between the UP direction of one port and the UP direction of another port. So at 0° roll angle, the black rectangles of the Konstruction ports are above each other, at 180° roll angle they are on opposite sides.

The angle set in the "Angle" setting is the interval of the allowed roll positions. For example, if the Angle is set to 180, there are only 2 allowed positions: 0° and 180°. If the Angle is set to 90, there are 4: 0°, 90°, 180° and 270°. If the Angle is set to 30, there can be : 0°, 30°, 60°, 90°, 120°, 150°, 180°, 210°, 240°, 270°, 300° and 330°. An exception is the special Angle 0: it means that there is only one allowed position (not infinite), namely 0°.

Because mine certainly did when I wrote it. I think in this case, a diagram says more than a thousand words (fine it's actually, 177 :P). I would suggest two or three diagrams: the first one, where the Construction Port is visible from the front, with the black rectangle towards the top and an Arrow to the Top. The second would also be the Construction Port and have four bars (like tick marks on a clock): at the positions 0°, 90°, 180° and 270° and maybe an arrow that points to the 90° position. The third is not strictly necessary, but might be helpful: it has also the construction port, with "ticks" at 0°, 60°, 120°, 180°, 240°, and 300°, with the Arrow pointing to 120° or something.

If somebody could make those, that would be awesome. If not, we'll have to make do with the readers geometric imagination capabilities :wink: 

Oh and of course, the main point of this whole exercise was to provide text blocks for the KSPedia, to speed up @dboi88 amazing work :)

20 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

I would request a little help on the illustrations, though. 

First, I would suggest to split up @dboi88 amazing diagram: https://github.com/dboi88/USI-MKS-KSPedia/raw/master/MKS KSPedia/Assets/Pages/Konstruction Parts/magnet diagram.png

Instead of having them as one giant diagram, the parts should go into the individual sections under "Settings", below their textual explanation.

I can certainly do that, i'll upload those later tonight. I've not wrapped my head around that explanation yet (busy at work) but i'll also look to make a diagram if i understand it.

@Kobymaru fancy making your first jump into Unity? I could guide you through making some minor changes to the KSPedia entry if you'd like. All the templates and pages layouts are done so updating things at this point is almost as easy as using powerpoint. It might be another couple of weeks at least before i can get around to it otherwise.

On 3/15/2017 at 0:17 PM, Rabada said:

So I would really like for the wiki to have the converters listed for all of the applicable parts, so that I can use the MKS wiki as a quick reference for the numbers I need when I need to run some calculations. I went ahead and started writing some tables that I would like to add to the wiki to do this. (SNIP)

@Rabada, good work and thanks for contributing to the Wiki.  Some of what you're looking for may already be in the Wiki, broken out by function(capability) rather than part.

The pages were divided into two primary sections (Parts and Functions) intentionally so you don't have pages that go on and on.  Instead, if your at the stage where you're first setting up a site, you'll only be concerned with Life Support and Habitation.  Next, you'll think about Mining to support your Manufacturing, and so on  As you delve into each advance of your bases self-sufficiency, the different part's capabilities supporting that area are grouped together.  If you need to gather resources, the Functions (Mining) page has side-by-side comparisons of the different drills, so you can pick the best one for your current need. 

This aligns with how I've seen RD play; instead of thinking "I'll make a base that looks like this, now what can it support?", he starts with a simple base where everything is shipped in, then finds the parts necessary to support the next level of his development.  At least, that's how it looks to me.

Edited by notthebobo

55 minutes ago, notthebobo said:

Does this picture make sense to anyone but me? I added it to the MKS Resource Flow document that's linked on the Resources, but I may move this specific page to the top as people seem to be looking for some master picture.

It makes sense - but a bit better punctuation at least in the top-left text block would help.  You're being concise and working with awkward spaces, which means you need to be very precise to be clear.  (At minimum, you're missing a period.)

On 3/23/2017 at 4:06 PM, jofwu said:

The "Resources (Scanning and Extracting)" page is missing from the wiki's Home page.

Good catch @jofwu.  That page is actually a leftover from the pre-0.50 re-wiki and most of the information is now on two other pages: Functions (Mining) and Resources.  It should probably go away, as well as Resources (Stats).  The only thing still unique on that page is resource scanning, but that's a core game function now.

We do need a page for the Resource Nodes if someone wants to tackle that.

13 hours ago, notthebobo said:

@jofwuThe only thing still unique on that page is resource scanning, but that's a core game function now.

Might be good to at least have a comment that scanning is done via stock methods. I went looking for the page because I wasn't sure if the stock scanner worked for MKS resources or not. Didn't want to throw the M700 on a probe and send it off only to realize I needed some other scanner part. :)

And as you say, there should probably be something about scanning for resource lodes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.