PocketBrotector

MKS Documentation Development

Recommended Posts

Looks like we have some new parts - Karibou is now part of MKS.  :wink:

(And we probably need a page on the new types of Kerbals as well.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Looks like we have some new parts - Karibou is now part of MKS.  :wink:

(And we probably need a page on the new types of Kerbals as well.)

Good Job I included it in the KSPedia entry :D , the images are all already available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2016 at 6:10 PM, DStaal said:

No issues per se, but I think it would be worth mentioning in there someplace that resources are always 'pulled': You need something with a bit of storage and a *need* for the resource for a resource to transfer.

Hi, I used to think this was true, but my testing shows that there is "push" functionality also. It may only be with PL and not local.

I found this out when I launched a test ship with resources. At the launch pad, I noticed that my supplies and fertilizer were cut in half from what I set them at in the VAB.  Could not figure it out until I noticed that the PL screen had large numbers of supplies and fert for Kerbin, even though i do not have bases there. Can we verify that the push functionality is only PL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DStaal said:

Looks like we have some new parts - Karibou is now part of MKS.  :wink:

(And we probably need a page on the new types of Kerbals as well.)

Updated the Crew Skills Impact On Parts page to include the new skills.  Its pretty scarce right now as I'm not sure what everyone's true effect is, yet.

On 12/17/2016 at 7:48 AM, Enceos said:

I propose to add the Easy Vessel Switch to the Helpful Mods Section.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Helpful-Mods

 

Added to Helpful Hints.  RD used this was introduced to this in one of his Twitch videos and seemed pretty pleased with it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Odonian said:

@RoverDude, my Industrial Strip Miner drills have been launching my bases off Minmus's surface after physics easing since the latest update to MKS. It seems the depth to which they can extend into the ground before pushing off of it is now much shallower. Prior to the update all of my bases sat on adjustable Konstruction cradles extended to 42, they now have to sit at 25 to remain level. Admittedly I inadvisably updated a number of mods along with this one simultaneously, and I updated from KSP 1.2.1 to 1.2.2, but I figured I would ask here if there have been any changes to the drills in MKS that might be causing this problem before going through the trouble of isolating the problem in my backed up save, game data folder, and 1.2.1 version of KSP.

This was the 1.2.2 update and the new colliders if came with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, notthebobo said:

Stock game doesn't offer consistent model of the camera positioning when active vessel is switched. Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) does. Now, your camera won't jump randomly as you switch between the vessels.

There's one more feature: "Switch to any vessel in your view by Alt + clicking on it."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi, I used to think this was true, but my testing shows that there is "push" functionality also. It may only be with PL and not local.

I found this out when I launched a test ship with resources. At the launch pad, I noticed that my supplies and fertilizer were cut in half from what I set them at in the VAB.  Could not figure it out until I noticed that the PL screen had large numbers of supplies and fert for Kerbin, even though i do not have bases there. Can we verify that the push functionality is only PL?

Yes that's right. PL does push so does warehouse distribution. Scavenging doesnt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Enceos, your right, that's the best feature.  I added this to the description.  BTW, feel free to modify the pages yourself, there's no restrictions. :wink:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

This was the 1.2.2 update and the new colliders if came with.

Thanks. A pain to deal with but at least I'll be able to deal with it in my backed up 1.2.1 save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notthebobo said:

Updated the Crew Skills Impact On Parts page to include the new skills.  Its pretty scarce right now as I'm not sure what everyone's true effect is, yet.

@notthebobo that's great. It would be nice to know a little bit more detail on some of the new skills. I guess it can be determined by reading the MKS source. For example; it seems that Farmers are for the more advanced life support converters and Biologists for the basic (greenhouse?) ones, but which parts/converters exactly I am still to discover. Also do these "other" skills such as AgronomySkill and MedicalSkill increase with Kerbal experience? I suspect they do.

Edited by Kaa253
Edit again. Sorry really tired and got off topic. That's not helpful to anyone
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kaa253, agree, the contents are lacking.  Hopefully RD will post a synopsis soon with more details on how he planned them to be used.

12 hours ago, DStaal said:

Looks like we have some new parts - Karibou is now part of MKS.  :wink:

A new Parts: Karibou page has been created, but I haven't loaded the parts details yet.  Everyone feel free to start populating the page.  I also removed it from Helpful Mods

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2016 at 2:26 PM, Enceos said:

There's one more feature: "Switch to any vessel in your view by Alt + clicking on it."

This is definitely the best quality of life improvement I've ever experienced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dboi88 said:

This is definitely the best quality of life improvement I've ever experienced. 

And it got even better with the last version. The new "O + click" to focus the camera makes navigating big vessels such a pleasant experience :)

I was getting sick of doing it the stock way when navigating my stations, big ships or big base sections. The Camera Focus Changer mod was good but shaky.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for you guys: do Kerbals still (or once again) consume 16.2 supplies per day? In the "Kore Design" section, under the "shipping-in vs producing supplies" heading, it mentions that Kerbals need 16.2 supplies per day. I know that when USI-LS 0.5.0 was released, RoverDude decreased this to 10.8 supplies. I was going to change this myself, but I'm not 100% sure this wasn't reverted at some point, so I wanted to check in here and see if anyone remembered if it was changed back or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Merkov said:

Question for you guys: do Kerbals still (or once again) consume 16.2 supplies per day?

@Merkov You're correct, it's 10.8; the USI-LS Setting.cfg has SupplyAmount = 0.0005 per second.  I updated the Wiki, but feel free to correct it yourself next time

Edited by notthebobo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, notthebobo said:

@Merkov You're correct, it's 10.8; the USI-LS Setting.cfg has SupplyAmount = 0.0005 per second.  I updated the Wiki, but feel free to correct it yourself next time

Thanks. I've made the odd correction on the wiki, but I know that I haven't kept up with all of the changes and reversions (for instance, is wear re-enabled yet?) that have gone on with USI-LS, so I didn't feel confident telling people that it was at 10.8.

I'm working an overtime night shift at work right now, so if things stay quiet, I'll probably start reading through the wiki page by page, if only for proofreading purposes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proof reading would greatly be appreciated.  It was a scramble to get everything up to date, wo I'm sure we missed a good deal of small details.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, notthebobo said:

Proof reading would greatly be appreciated.  It was a scramble to get everything up to date, wo I'm sure we missed a good deal of small details.

I can appreciate that. I remember doing a lot of work when UKS 0.44 and USI-LS 0.4.4 came out, and having to re-write everything I did twice. At least in that case most of the mechanics hadn't changed. You guys have rebuilt this thread from the ground up, which is fantastic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading through and I'm having a thought: I see some pages assume the reader is using USI-LS, and some sections that reference it have prefaces such as "this only applies if you are running USI-LS" etc. Do you think it's perhaps worth adding a small statement on the first page (perhaps right after the sentence that starts with "Before you dive in...") that says something to the effect that the wiki will assume you are using USI-LS on default settings unless a page says otherwise?

Also, I noticed that the Ranger parts page has the Scout lander, but not the Salamander pod. Is this a deliberate choice? I can start making an entry for the Salamander pod, but I have no idea how you are getting those awesome images of the parts on white backgrounds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right about the USI-LS assumption.  It's mentioned elsewhere, but not upfront as you mention.  That would be an ideal place to bring it up.

@dboi88 is providing the awesome part shots.  Not sure what he uses but they're beautiful.

RE: Salamander, I'm not sure what class it actually falls in; same with the associated lander. @RoverDude, did you intend for these two parts to be Scouts, or something different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I just added the following: " **Please Note:** this wiki assumes that you are using USI-LS in conjunction with MKS. MKS has many parts that provide functions supported by USI-LS, and the two mods are designed to work well together. If you are NOT using USI-LS, then some sections will not apply to you (specifically, any section referring to Supplies, Fertilizer, or Mulch.) " just above the table of contents. Hopefully the little bit of bold gives everyone the appropriate heads-up (I didn't want to make the whole thing bold, that would have been excessive) and we shouldn't have to worry as much about cautioning people about USI-LS in the rest of the wiki's pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, starting to feel like I am spamming the thread, but I have another observation. The "Functions: Med Bay and Colony Supplies" page mostly talks about ColonySupplies, the resource. It touches on how Med Bays and Colonization modules use ColonySupplies to affect hab and home timers. So far so good. In the Colonization section of this page, you will find the following two sentences:

"Checking for Colony Rewards is not automatic, and is a function of the Pioneer Module. Rewards are accumulated with any MKS module, but can only be collected once a Pioneer Module is present."

This isn't incorrect, but it seems to me like it's irrelevant to this page. The page is talking about ColonySupplies and hab/home times. If someone who didn't understand the Kolonization rewards stumbled upon this, I think it would just lead to confusion. Here we are talking about ColonySupplies, and suddenly there's talk of rewards and Pioneer Modules.

I haven't stumbled upon a page detailing exactly how Kolonization rewards work yet (if we don't have one, we probably ought to make one) but I just don't think this page is the place.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merkov said:

"Checking for Colony Rewards is not automatic, and is a function of the Pioneer Module. Rewards are accumulated with any MKS module, but can only be collected once a Pioneer Module is present."

This isn't incorrect, but it seems to me like it's irrelevant to this page. The page is talking about ColonySupplies and hab/home times. If someone who didn't understand the Kolonization rewards stumbled upon this, I think it would just lead to confusion. Here we are talking about ColonySupplies, and suddenly there's talk of rewards and Pioneer Modules.

You're absolutely right, this was included based on my erroneous belief that ColonyRewards gave you ColonySupplies. Feel free to clear that up. RL is getting in the way for me at the minute. I've already updated the KSPedia entry so that won't be included in the next release.

5 hours ago, Merkov said:

but I have no idea how you are getting those awesome images of the parts on white backgrounds.

 

4 hours ago, notthebobo said:

 

@dboi88 is providing the awesome part shots.  Not sure what he uses but they're beautiful.

Nothing special, just screenshots cut out in photoshop. You can find images of every part in the MKS download here. Except for the damn node helper, i always forget the node helper!

Salamander.png?raw=true

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dboi88 Thanks for the insight and update. The offending lines have been removed from the wiki. Also thanks for sharing that repo of images, fantastic work!

5 hours ago, notthebobo said:

RE: Salamander, I'm not sure what class it actually falls in; same with the associated lander. @RoverDude, did you intend for these two parts to be Scouts, or something different?

Once we decide where the Salamander should go, I'll make up an entry for it. For what it's worth, I don't think the Ranger area would be inappropriate for them. It certainly doesn't belong with the Tundras, and I don't think it really belongs with the Duna class, either. It's a very preliminary sort of a vessel, like the Rangers. Sure, it isn't inflatable, but the Tundra page includes both inflatables and non-inflatables. Also, in the pre-0.50.0 days, the old Scout and Koala combo were both part of the MkV series along with the inflatables that are now the Ranger series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now