[1.2.X] Horizon Aeronautics - Zenit 3SLB Redux

Delta_8930

10 minutes ago, Fenyx said:

Hmm... I just install this mod.. Nice rocket! But... It's for Kerbol's system! How can i use it for RSS??? Really want to start a real zenith from Earth! Maybe you can do a little tuning of the rocket? It is only necessary to change the size of stages and thrust of engines..

How big you want it and how much fuel and engine thrust ?

Edit- And also RSS most the time cuts the mass what you want it cut by ?

Edited by Mecripp2
EDIT

Wikipedia says that the real zenith length of 59.6 meters. Diameter - 3.9 meters. The total weight of 462 tons. The thrust engine of the first stage - 8180 kN and a specific impulse of 375 (ASL). Working time 150 seconds.

The second stage thrust RD-120 - 914 kN, the RD-8 - 79.5, a specific impulse of 349 seconds, 315 seconds working time.

And the upper stage engine RD-58m 84.9 kN and a specific impulse of 352 seconds, 650 seconds working time.

I think the size of the barrels can be corrected in proportion to the available to get the correct total length. And how much fuel they should be - I do not know. It can be calculated. Or you can first increase approximately, and then look in engeener Redux and then fix it.

Oh, I found another on the size of the data! The first stage of the total mass of 353 tonnes. Without fuel, 28 tons. The length of 32.9m. The second stage of 10.4m length, weight of 90.5 tons. Dry weight of 8.5 tons. The thrust main engine 834, in addition to the steering 78 kN. fairing length of 13.7m (3.9m diameter - the zenith 2) and 16.3m (4.3m diameter - the zenith 3ms)

On 1/17/2017 at 6:49 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

@Delta_8930

Could you please fix the download file?  It is causing problems

Sorry for the late response. I've had a lot of RL commitments this past month and haven't been able to play KSP. I'll take a look at the issue either tonight or tomorrow. 

18 hours ago, Fenyx said:

Hmm... I just install this mod.. Nice rocket! But... It's for Kerbol's system! How can i use it for RSS??? Really want to start a real zenith from Earth! Maybe you can do a little tuning of the rocket? It is only necessary to change the size of stages and thrust of engines..

RSS would require a new set of configs that would appropriate resize the model and the rocket parameters. I don't have much experience in RO/RSS, but maybe @MeCripp can help me with this one....?

5 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

RSS would require a new set of configs that would appropriate resize the model and the rocket parameters. I don't have much experience in RO/RSS, but maybe @MeCripp can help me with this one....?

Why not just pick up and put the numbers from Wikipedia?

24 minutes ago, Fenyx said:

Why not just pick up and put the numbers from Wikipedia?

Not quite that easy. You have to manually rescale each individual part of the rocket to get everything to fit together. Numbers from wikipedia would likely not be sufficiently detailed. For instance, you would know the length of the stage, but how then would that be divided between the component parts?

Of course, you should feel free to take a swing at it if you think you could do it. :)

On 1/17/2017 at 6:49 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

@Delta_8930

Could you please fix the download file?  It is causing problems

Hi, I've decided to not host this mod on CKAN for the time being as I am relatively new to modding and need some time to figure out how everything works. I will get back to you as son as I add the .version (and hopefully fix the DS_Store and MACOSX issues but that could be hard because I work on a macbook). 

On 1/22/2017 at 0:35 PM, Fenyx said:

Has I haven't play with RSS in some time and don't have it installed will need a tester to test things out so if you would like to here is a test file just unzip and put it in your KSP/GameData  folder some where https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/HorizonAeronauticsRSS_Patch.zip

And let me know how things work out :/

EDIT- Updated link added a craft file but didn't add the struts to the craft if you look at the craft you will see strut mounts on it and didn't know what RSS sets there struts as so good luck but all looked good

Edited by Mecripp2
Updated download link

On 25.01.2017 at 10:34 PM, MeCripp said:

will need a tester to test things out so if you would like to here is a test file just unzip and put it in your KSP/GameData  folder some where https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/HorizonAeronauticsRSS_Patch.zip

And let me know how things work out :/

Ok, I'll try! But right now I do not have a lot of time to play in the KSP, so it is possible that the bug report will be followed by a delay ..

I tested the new patch and found a few discrepancies ..
The first - the mass of the fuel tank of the first stage is too big! In the game it is 554 tons, and should be 343.5 (full mass with RD-171 is 353 tons). Because of this, the engine is not enough thrust to lift a rocket. TWR reaches only 1.13 with full payload of 13 tons and 3-stage configuration.

c091d5cce302.png

In order to weight the first step was the correct amount of fuel should be changed by a factor of 0.62. Liquid fuel ->30690. Oxidiser ->37510. And dry mass should be 28 tons. But then the burn time

The mass of the fuel tank of the second stage is too small! In the game it is 78.665 tons, and should be 89.225 tons

Weight of engine RD-120 should be changed to 1.285 tons.

Weight of engine RD-171 should be changed to 9.75 tons.

Thrust of RD-58 engine is correctly displayed in the editor, but not correctly - in the engineer redux and mechjeb. (see next 2 pictuers)

049a399078f3.png
Third. The engine RD-58 improperly installed fairing mounting pins.

ca655d0f22e6.png

The dimensions, and the overal wiev is nice! Now that's all I found.

Edited by Fenyx
errors correction & additional info/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm... No answers... I talk with myself?

Can I ask how I can correct the ...RSS_patch.cfg in order to bring the value of the engine mass and stages to the correct values? Where the amount of fuel and oxidizer is corrected I have already found.

Does anybody want to help me at least a little? I adjusted all the parameters - the mass of engines, fuel .. But I would like the ratio of fuel and oxidiser components to be the same as in the original - 1: 2.6. I tried to transfer the corresponding lines from the part.cfg to rss_patch.cfg, but it did not work. How do I do this without fix the patch.cfg files?

In example, part of RD-120 engine from the rss_patch.cfg:

+PART[HA3SLRD120]
{
  @name = HA3SLRD120RSS
  %scale = 1.0
  %rescaleFactor = 1.9
  @node_stack_center = 0.0, -0.10086, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
  @node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
  @node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.75, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
  @mass = 1.505
  @MODULE,0
{
  @maxThrust = 834
  @PROPELLANT
  {
    @name = LiquidFuel
    @ratio = 1
    @DrawGauge = True
  }
  @PROPELLANT
  {
    @name = Oxidizer
    @ratio = 2.6
  }
  @atmosphereCurve
  {
    @key,0 = 350
    @key,1 = 295
  }
}
  @MODULE,1
{
  @maxThrust = 78
  @PROPELLANT
  {
    @name = LiquidFuel
    @ratio = 1
    @DrawGauge = True
  }
  @PROPELLANT
  {
    @name = Oxidizer
    @ratio = 2.6
  }
  @atmosphereCurve
  {
    @key,0 = 342
    @key,1 = 275
  }
}
}

21 hours ago, Fenyx said:

Does anybody want to help me at least a little? I adjusted all the parameters - the mass of engines, fuel .. But I would like the ratio of fuel and oxidiser components to be the same as in the original - 1: 2.6. I tried to transfer the corresponding lines from the part.cfg to rss_patch.cfg, but it did not work. How do I do this without fix the patch.cfg files?

In example, part of RD-120 engine from the rss_patch.cfg:

+PART[HA3SLRD120]
{
  @name = HA3SLRD120RSS
  %scale = 1.0
  %rescaleFactor = 1.9
  @node_stack_center = 0.0, -0.10086, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
  @node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
  @node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.75, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
  @mass = 1.505
  @MODULE,0
{
  @maxThrust = 834
  @PROPELLANT
  {
    @name = LiquidFuel
    @ratio = 1
    @DrawGauge = True
  }
  @PROPELLANT
  {
    @name = Oxidizer
    @ratio = 2.6
  }
  @atmosphereCurve
  {
    @key,0 = 350
    @key,1 = 295
  }
}
  @MODULE,1
{
  @maxThrust = 78
  @PROPELLANT
  {
    @name = LiquidFuel
    @ratio = 1
    @DrawGauge = True
  }
  @PROPELLANT
  {
    @name = Oxidizer
    @ratio = 2.6
  }
  @atmosphereCurve
  {
    @key,0 = 342
    @key,1 = 275
  }
}
}

Sorry not much time for ksp just checking in here and there and missed your post will try and take a look but on the weight what is ksp fuel weight to real life fuel weight has this will also play a part in burn time

Spoiler

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = LiquidFuel
  density = 0.005
  unitCost = 0.8
  hsp = 2010
  flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}
RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = Oxidizer
  density = 0.005
  unitCost = 0.18
  hsp = 1551
  flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
}

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/25/2017 at 1:34 PM, Mecripp said:

Has I haven't play with RSS in some time and don't have it installed will need a tester to test things out so if you would like to here is a test file just unzip and put it in your KSP/GameData  folder some where https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/HorizonAeronauticsRSS_Patch.zip

Mecripp, just wondering if you still had this RSS patch for Horizon Aeronautics still kicking around? The link seems DED...

Also, has anyone tried this mod since 1.4.5?
I'm trying it out in 1.8.1, but having a major issue with the Standard Payload Fairing... When decoupling a pair, its exploding the whole top of my rocket :(

I installed the latest AnimatedDecouplers v1.6.2, Procedural Fairings v1.6.2 from KerbasAdAstra's repo (looks like a possible update for 1.8.0+), and latest SmokeScreen.
Just trying to figure out if the issue is with *this* mod, before I go poking at AnimatedDecouplers and/or Procedural Fairings threads... vOv

Whoa!! ... @Delta_8930 Hey, I just saw you posted just yesterday after a long hiatus... Any plans to poke at this mod again?

I'm currently testing it out in a lightly modded install, and specifically launching this using KerbinSide Remastered and @Eskandare's Oceania addon (is the ships from Sea Launch) ;)

NJVAlgL.png3JwoOCk.png3wtZRlb.png

Edited by Stone Blue

18 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Mecripp, just wondering if you still had this RSS patch for Horizon Aeronautics still kicking around? The link seems DED...

Also, has anyone tried this mod since 1.4.5?
I'm trying it out in 1.8.1, but having a major issue with the Standard Payload Fairing... When decoupling a pair, its exploding the whole top of my rocket :(

I installed the latest AnimatedDecouplers v1.6.2, Procedural Fairings v1.6.2 from KerbasAdAstra's repo (looks like a possible update for 1.8.0+), and latest SmokeScreen.
Just trying to figure out if the issue is with *this* mod, before I go poking at AnimatedDecouplers and/or Procedural Fairings threads... vOv

Whoa!! ... @Delta_8930 Hey, I just saw you posted just yesterday after a long hiatus... Any plans to poke at this mod again?

I'm currently testing it out in a lightly modded install, and specifically launching this using KerbinSide Remastered and @Eskandare's Oceania addon (is the ships from Sea Launch) ;)

NJVAlgL.png3JwoOCk.png3wtZRlb.png

Sorry I haven't found them but will keep looking and pretty sure AnimatedDecouplers never was added in was going to but don't remember adding it

• 2 years later...

Necro again with another great old Mod.  Anyone interested in the Zenit line, this is a mod that was done very well.  Just thought I would bring it back out again to see if someone with the know-how could get it running again.  It is very well done and one of the only dedicated mods for the Zenit 3 SLB.

Edit: Tested it out and other than a couple of minor details like the craft file needing an update and during launch, the fairings explode instead of separating, it appears to be working.

Edited by ArkaelDren

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.