Career Contract Bug

Hello,

I've run across a bug in which a haul contract is not completing despite parameters being met twice.  The contract is to 'haul' a RT-10 'Hammer' Solid Fuel Booster in a flight above Kerbin, at an altitude between 47,000m and 54,000m and a velocity between 260m/s and 440m/s.  I meet the parameters (just) on the way up AND down but it does not fulfill the contract.  I will explain everything in detail below for the purposes of recreation and add relevant save files and screenshots (video link):

ACTIVE CONTRACTS:

Haul RT-10 'Hammer' Solid Fuel Booster

• Kerbin
  • Flying
  • Alt 47,000m to 54,000m
  • Spd 260.0m/s to 440.0m/s

Test a TR-18A Stack Decoupler  (This contract competes normally)

• Kerbin
  • Flying
  • Alt 21,000m to 28,000m
  • Spd 70.0m/s to 1,870.0m/s

CRAFT BUILD: (Top to Bottom)(All parts using the Rigid Attachment option and default settings unless listed)

• Mk16 Parachute
    • Altitude = 500m
    • Spread Angle = 10
  • Mk1 Command Capsule
    • MonoPropellant = empty
  • TR-18A Stack Decoupler
  • RT-10 'Hammer' Solid Fuel Booster
    • Thrust Limiter = 30%
    • SolidFuel = 300

FLIGHT PLAN: (Jebediah Kerman as pilot with no experience, SAS active and launched from Launch Pad)

1. I launch straight up with no gravity turn.
  2. At approximately 17,100m up, the booster runs dry.
  3. The craft continues to rise and when it reaches 47,002m it is traveling at a velocity of 265.5m/s
  4. It continues up to about 49,625m then falls and when it reaches 260.1m/s it's at an altitude of 47,165m

At both instances when it achieves the contract parameter it only is true for less than 1 second but it does achieve it.  Do contracts require you to hold the parameter for a minimum time?

EDIT: I have noticed that the speed parameter does not display a tick until I'm traveling at = or > 309m/s, which you can see in my recording.

Below is further details for debugging crew:

LOGS, RECORDING AND SAVE FILE:

KSP VERSION:

• 1.2.1.1604 Windows x64 bit system
  • x64 bit client through Steam (NOT A CLEAN INSTALL)

SYSTEM INFORMATION:

• Windows 7 x64 bit
  • 16Gb RAM DDR3
  • Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz CPU
  • GeForce GTX TITAN X version 376.09 (Current as of post)

EXTRA NOTE:

This is not game breaking for I can achieve the contract by adjusting my craft and/or flight path, however it would be nice to get some clarification on what is occurring here.

Thank you kindly for your time.

Edited by NEBx

Hi @NEBx, I tested your save, sorry to tell you this but you've been looking at the wrong speed gauge.

At no point was I able to be between 47,000m and 54,000m and between 260m/s and 440m/s in surface speed (used for contracts within the atmosphere), my mission app would not show both items ticked at the same time, and your youtube video shows the same.

There can be quite a difference in speed between Surface and Orbital (and Target) modes, so the contract is working fine.

Could the change between surface and orbital speeds be better? Sure it can, but generally people want their orbital speed at those altitudes as they are trying to get to orbit.

You'll need around another 100m/s at 47,000m to beat this one.

Hope this helps.

12 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

@NEBx

Could the change between surface and orbital speeds be better? Sure it can, but generally people want their orbital speed at those altitudes as they are trying to get to orbit.

Thanks for that sal_vager,

I understand and have since done that with success :). 

Just to save an extra post in the suggestions forum, could the contract simply state that speeds are relative to 'surface' to save on confusion?

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, NEBx said:

Thanks for that sal_vager,

I understand and have since done that with success :). 

Just to save an extra post in the suggestions forum, could the contract simply state that speeds are relative to 'surface' to save on confusion?

Cheers!

That's a fine idea :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.