Astrophotography

ROXunreal

I am not a fan of HDR i have seen many photos and most of them go too far and the photos end up to ''edgy'' for my liking. My M45 was done only with levels, curves, masks and layers using Photoshop and the fact that i had a very good set of data.

Here is a video for blending the core of M45 at an overexposed image, you can use this method for galaxies too like M31 or overexposed stars

Unfortunately it's in Greek but i believe you can make out the procedure, if not i can help you. First make sure you align the two photos with the software of your choice and then use an image processing software, at this video the photographer uses the final combined images but the best choice is to do this method only at the L layer and then combine the color.

Edited by kookoo_gr

Yesterday was a fine day for astronomy in BC (except that it was so bloody freezing and windy) as these three were together. 

D04UocQ.jpg

The bright thing next to the moon is Venus and the very dim dot to the top right of the moon is Mars. Two planets in one crappy iPhone photo, what a deal! I took the opportunity to take out my old telescope and got this with my iPhone through the lens:

OAk2gBl.jpg

Not a bad picture of the moon using only an iPhone and a cheap telescope from Hong Kong. The ISS also flew over me, but I was too slow to react.

Today I tried another attempt at a moon photo, except during dusk, and captured this:

jDXwbY1.jpg

I'm quite surprised that the iPhone camera managed to capture most of the detail. 

I managed to catch the ISS today as well.

Spoiler

XZ38mgW.jpg

This is my professional telescope: the SkyEagleProBro Master 2 Electric Boogaloo 5000.

Spoiler

0kLbgvH.jpg

3 hours ago, CelticCossack51 said:

Yesterday was a fine day for astronomy in BC (except that it was so bloody freezing and windy) as these three were together. 

I got a 10 inch Newtonian astrograph for Christmas and have taken it outside 3 times. If you wanna count the times I was actually able to do something 2. This weekend, it might clear up. I don't care how cold it is. I almost lost it being able to see the moon.

• 1 month later...

We all have these problems. That happens if you don't let it adapt to the changes. I doubt that too much frost/water will be good for the mirror coating in the long run (mold, bactaria, pollen, etc.), so let it adapt slowly to temperature changes. Put it in the garage or in cool dry place after viewing until the next morning. Don't wipe moisture off with a towel or so, use optical cleaning stuff only if necessary. The reflective coating is not hardened, if will scratch easily, so only clean it if it has visible dirt on it. Leave dust where it is, it'll be back anyway. Blow perpendicular, not directly on the surface. Stow the scope upright with the mirror at the top facing down so it will not serve as a dust shelf.

Don't use an ultrasonic cleaning device like the opticians use for our wearing glasses. The coating will be off afterwards :-)

Sorry if talking old ....

I got a version 0.2 of my orion nebula. Same data, different processing. LRGB composite this time, DSS for stacking and PixInsight for the LRGB. Down with those satellites ...

asxspt6.jpg

Lots of noise and artifacts. There'll be a version 0.3 soon(tm).

Edited by Green Baron
aversion for a version

• 6 years later...

Yesterday's active region 3272 imaged in ultraviolet radiation which allows us to see plages (large collections of faculas) scattered among small sunspots and photospheric pores.

It's a GIF showing the shimmering of our spring air. Very bad for imaging which requires still air, so here's a real-time animation instead.

All done with my 150 mm mirror, UV pass filter and monochrome camera.

Spoiler

2023-04-10-1111-8-Sun-UV-F0001-0070.gif

@VanamondePlease consider merging this thread with this, older one of the same topic.

I'm poor;.; I probably need a job... But then I'm gonna do astrophotography, any recommendations for what I should save for(I am also saving for a 3d printer so I could bring mounts as well.)?

On 4/13/2023 at 6:34 AM, Ryaja said:

I'm poor;.; I probably need a job... But then I'm gonna do astrophotography, any recommendations for what I should save for(I am also saving for a 3d printer so I could bring mounts as well.)?

It depends on what you want to image and how well you want to do it.

There are three general teams of astrophotographers:

• very wide angle (sky, Milky way, visually large nebulas, comets) - it can be cheap, but ideas and targets are quickly exhausted
  • Solar system photography (Sun, Moon, planets and their satellites) - moderately expensive to very expensive, targets are always changing in appearance and ideas are basically inexhaustible, can be done in light polluted sky
  • deep space objects (nebulas, galaxies) - very expensive to extremely expensive, requires dark sky and personal transportation

Considering owning equipment, if you are in team SSO, you can do very little for team DSO.

If on team DSO, you can do a bit more than that for SSO but not a lot.

If on team wide angle, you can't do anything detailed for other teams and other teams can't do wide angle stuff.

If you cherish our money, patience and nerves, do NOT make your own mounts and mirrors. It's not worth the effort with prices of new or used equipment today.

Also, do not buy crappy 50 mm refractors from malls unless you are perfectly aware you're getting a very bad device usable for fun only.

Pick a team and then we can discuss further steps.

Yesterday's work because the sky finally granted me with lack of clouds and twitchy jet stream.

Highly resolved Sun's pore in the active region 3284, imaged in green light (and subsequently colored to match the channel) which is for most intents and purposes equivalent to Solar continuum or white light. Details the size of France can be noticed. Pore is somewhat smaller than Europe.

Spoiler

2023-04-22-1200-LW.png

Next, active region 3282 sunspots, very large system with a gigantic lightbridge almost long as Earth's diameter. Earth could probably fit inside the largest sunspot's umbra. Imaged in green light, but left in black&white for clarity. Orientation is adjusted so that the closest Sun's limb is at the top, which gets us a nice "aerial" view of the scene. And no, you're not wrong, lightbridge really does stick upwards, it's not an illusion.

Spoiler

2023-04-22-1116-LW.png

Same scene 18 minutes later, but this time imaged in soft ultraviolet radiation. Intense faculas grouped in plagues can be seen emanating from spaces between granulas. Granulas themselves seem "hairy" because, in this electromagnetic band, beginnings of lower chromosphere can be seen. Almost only the hottest part of the lightbridge is seen radiating. Amount of amperes there has to be fantastic.

Spoiler

2023-04-22-1134-LW.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.