Mk1 crew cabin hatch and radial mount

I think the Mk1 crew cabin should have a top and side (and maybe bottom) hatches like the Mk2 and Mk3 cabins and be mountable on the side of a vessel. Yes, I know it's from a private jet, and KSP is (more or less) focused on realism, but the hatch is on the top of the Mk3 (also the Mk2, but that doesn't exist IRL (yet)) cabin! Aren't commercial planes (AKA non-military/cargo) supposed to be evacuated as fast as possible in an emergency?

I know there's a mod that adds a top hatch, but I never use the part because I mostly build fighters, leaving it to just take up RAM and storage until that one time I need it. Recently, I've started playing career mode more, and I need that part for Jeb because he rides shotgun to Bob. Bob gets out mid-flight to reset the science containers (I place the Science Jr. right behind the Mk1 Command Pod to keep him from flying off. It's probably the most Kerbal thing I've ever done) and leaves the plane pilotless. I still don't want to use the mod because it is just that - a mod, and my career save is superstock - only should-be-stock mods like KER, RCS Build-Aid, and Hangar Extender.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is there's no point not to have it, and it would make Mk1 planes a whole lot more useful for most things

2 hours ago, Rath said:

While, I belive that some private jets do have an area that can be easily cut for rescue, but a door would be too heavy, and it's really easy to get to the normal door.

All (Respectable) aircrafts have 2 exits. The main one is always on the left (Port) (Take that MK2) (Sorry. Pet peeve). And the other one on the right (Starboard) (Usually to the rear) (It's an emergency door, not to be used on a normal basis).

On the smaller jets (Cessna, Lear, Piper, Hawker and what not) the emergency door is small and of a "Plug" type. One of the idea is that is there is a fire (Or any other danger) on the left or front you use the emergency exit that happens to be right and back.

And Yes aircraft have places where the rescuers can cut through in a safe manner. No fuel, electrics or main structure. But those are not doors.

ME

31 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

There is a mod... I just found it, but it adds a top door to the MK1 crew cabin. Very useful and well done i must say. 

Actually providing a link to said mod would usually be greatly appreciated. The OP might not be interested, others probably are.

Edited by Tex_NL

50 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

There is a mod... I just found it, but it adds a top door to the MK1 crew cabin. Very useful and well done i must say. 

I adressed that but I don't use it often enough to warrant keeping it installed

21 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Actually providing a link to said mod would usually be greatly appreciated. The OP might not be interested, others probably are.

Thanks! I forgot about that

1 minute ago, Tex_NL said:

Actually providing a link to said mod would usually be greatly appreciated.

You are absolutely right, I should have included it. That is my mistake. Thanks for covering my back and posting it for me. I appreciate it. 

-leafy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.