How many Kerbals do you usually have?

JonathanDahlq

Hi.

Just like the title says, how many Kerbals do you usually have in your spacecrafts? I'm trying to choose between and small and light, but not that advanced, command pod for orbital and interplanetary missions (basically all missions), and a big 7 Kerbal spacecraft packed with equipment and good stuff. What would you recommend?

I only send as many kerbals that are needed to do any work required of them.

I only have a lot of kerbals in one place when they are ;

1. Somewhere to gain experience

2. Waiting to be selected for a mission at my station at Mimnus.

3. Are on their way in a transport to facilities which will enable 1 or 2.

Well from a gameplay perspective you need three kerbals at an absolute maximum - that covers you for any engineering, science and piloting requirements. If you're using probe cores to control your ship you can ditch the pilot if you like.

Anything after that is down to personal preference really and, if you're playing Career mode, how much money you want to spend.

Typicly 3 on most trains..one driving

A guard that jumps out to repair tyres, connect KAS and suchlike

One passenger in the nose if shes a 44 class, or passenger in the carriage behind the loco

They usually survive when the guard in the rear carriage goes to big railyard in the sky when mild derailments happen.. Eg not a complete loss of train

Also functioning as drivers for any stranded trains found with still functioning cab (rare)

Why only 1 driver? 

I hate scanning the terrain and looking at a bug eyed fireman screaming silently..tongue flapping in fear..

No need to scream...itll be all over soon :)

Many, many Kerbals... actually there are around 32 (34?). Still have to hire (or "rescue" :wink:) some more for a new Laythe colony with plenty inmat inhabitants.
Target is still having 50% of each gender, ending up with around 50 Kerbals sometime.

Oh, i misread the topic: Per spacecraft three to nine. Might split during missions.

Edited by Mikki
Uh, spacecraft

spacecraft: 4

Station: >20

interplanetary spacecraft: 1

(I use life support) XD

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

I rarely send less than two, mostly because I pack as much as I can for leveling missions, so it's often one pilot + one or two other Kerbals.

Interplanetary missions are different, where I send four. The fourth is additional scientist, who is chosen to stay on surface until next crew arrives.

Orbital stations - one or two, same for surface bases.

I only have 22 Kerbals, and half of them is currently outside home, so you know.

The training missions, I carry 16 at a time. That minimizes the number of launches I have to make.

For science; I usually have 6 at an orbital station (2 pilots, 2 engineers, 2 scientists), with the scientists stuck in a lab, sending down pilots one at a time to harvest science. For next time, though, A, no labs (too cheaty), and B, I'm thinking two-man landers, with a pilot and a scientist to reset any experiments onboard, so that I can just spam the goo cans and materials bays until they no longer transmit any science.

The engineers are there mainly for KAS-driven ISRU operations on the surface; while the miners are unmanned, I use KAS parts to attach the miners to the refueling vessel. Those, too, are 2-man (1 pilot, 1 engineer).

Edited by Starman4308

I usually send 3 Kerbals, Pilot, Scientist, Engineer. If no science is required, I always send a pilot and engineer especially if the mission involves landing on another body. With KIS and KAS the engineer is more valuable than a pilot in the fact that he can build, repair, and attach things. If it's a training mission like @Starman4308 said, ill pack as many as I can. But for early game send only what you need, no reason to risk more kerbal lives than is necessary. 

-leafy

Typically zero, except when doing flag planting or other things the amazing robots can't do yet. One day those greenies become obsolete and we can finally build a collective without individualism those greenheads have.

Generally 4 for most non-training missions.(not counting tourists)

Pilot, Engineer, 2 scientists(in lab, even after I finish the tech tree).

I'm also careful to gender-balance for interplanetary missions.

Using life-support I usually keep my ships down to those 4 unless I am doing the 3-star training mission(Mun, Minmus, step outside Kerbin SOI)

Currently I have one with 22(8 tourists and my last 14 1 and 2 star kerbals), but that is likely to be the largest crew I have in this save unless I do some tourist cruise ships for some reason.

The usual mission consists of five or more kerbals, across two or more craft. Minmus was six, which quickly grew up to nine, after rescues. Two for the surface (scientist, pilot), four for the station (engineer, pilot, two scientists).

Duna was 9, with two pilots, two scientists and an engineer on the station, two pilots, engineer and scientist on the surface. Currently 12 await return (one surface rescue, one orbit rescue, and one Ike surface).

Gilly was 8 - two engineers, one scientist (fail! Should be two!) and a bunch of pilots who are there to do heavy lifting of parts during assembly :)

Currently I ponder how many to send to Eeloo. Seven at the very least - more likely more. Base: two scientists, two 'any' for the workshop, and an engineer. At least two (scientist, engineer) for the rover.

With OSE Workshop I can manufacture pretty much anything I wish - with the exception of Kerbals. So I need to bring enough from Kerbin.

On average, my crews grow slightly during the course of the mission.

Initially, just one kerbal in a one-seater to orbit, and then mun return missions.

A few 3 seater orbital poppers in the midgame that have 2 butts in chairs (pilot + tourist) on the way up, and 3 (rescuee) on the way down.

Later in the game, it is 5 or 6 in a standardized SSTM spaceplane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.