[1.12.x] QuantumStrutsContinued - Magical Struts for Rigidifying Outside the VAB!

linuxgurugamer

This is a contuation of the Quantum Struts as originally made by @BoJaN, and continued by @toadicus.  The torch has been passed to myself, all future dicussions should be ehre:

QuantumStrutsContinued is the continuation of QuantumStruts by BoJan, providing a set of toggleable, magical strut parts to assist in construction outside the assembly buildings.

Also includes a set of ModuleManager patches by K3|Chris for adding KAS functionality to the strut parts. ModuleManager and KAS not included.

Point them at a part you want to strut and it'll be held rigid. You can turn them on or off either by right clicking or with action groups. They only strut across one vessel so if you have some reinforcing a decoupler or docking port, once you detach, they will be put in 'standby' until you reattach something that hits their line of sight. Don't point them at each other or massless parts because Bad Things happen. If you use them reinforce an Infernal Robotics joint, be sure to deactivate them before moving the joint or Bad Things will happen.

The strut gun and quantum strut are functionally the same thing, they just look different. You also don't need the core at all.

Note:  Version 1.7.3 is for all versions of KSP up to 1.6.1

Version 1.7.4 is for KSP 1.7 and later, and you MUST read and follow the instructions in the README file (not needed in latest version)

DEVELOPMENT NOTE:

I have adopted this mod for maintenance only and am not actively developing it. That said, if you find a problem or have a request, feel free to ask and I'll see if it fits in my schedule. :)

DOWNLOADS:

SpaceDock: http://spacedock.info/mod/301/QuantumStrutsContinued

Source Code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/QuantumStrutsContinued

License: BSD

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

LEGAL:

QuantumStrutsContinued

Continued from QuantumStruts by BoJaN. Used by permission.
ModuleManager patches © 2014 K3|Chris. Used by permission.

Copyright © 2014-2015, toadicus

All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1.  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
    materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

+3102+'kerbal+space+program'>+3102+'kerbal+space+program'>

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...

Hello! I'm loving the struts, just as perfect as ever. however I get the weird message that my struts are bailing out in the VAB and it spams a different message when I fly the ship. In the old thread I didn't find a fix for that. Mod works fine, that message however is rather distracting. I installed it through CKAN so it's the latest release.

Are you referring to the (unfortunate) log spam such as this:

LOG 15:21:46.027] QuantumStrut: Found raycast hit.  Fetching target part.
[LOG 15:21:46.028] QuantumStrut: Found target part Part on Dedalus Mk1.
[LOG 15:21:46.029] QuantumStrut: Target part is in our vessel and we have the energy to continue.
[LOG 15:21:46.031] QuantumStrut: Built a new strut, setting material, colors, and sizes.
[LOG 15:21:46.033] QuantumStrut: Strut all done!
[LOG 15:21:46.033] QuantumStrut: Checking for ray hit.
[LOG 15:21:46.034] QuantumStrut: Enabled, continuing.
[LOG 15:21:46.035] QuantumStrut: strut is null
[LOG 15:21:46.036] QuantumStrut: Got transforms.  Checking for raycast hit.
[LOG 15:21:46.037] QuantumStrut: Found raycast hit.  Fetching target part.
[LOG 15:21:46.038] QuantumStrut: Found target part Part on Dedalus Mk1.
[LOG 15:21:46.040] QuantumStrut: Target part is in our vessel and we have the energy to continue.
[LOG 15:21:46.041] QuantumStrut: Built a new strut, setting material, colors, and sizes.
[LOG 15:21:46.042] QuantumStrut: Strut all done!
[LOG 15:21:46.043] QuantumStrut: Checking for ray hit.

I'm sorry I didn't reply. I was busy. Yes that's the issue I was having, the log Spam. I will try out the patch as soon as possible! Unfortunately I'm unable to test it at the moment but I will tomorrow Afternoon (I'm from Germany, so time zone shenanigans happen). Thank you so much the quick help!

12 hours ago, DamianDrazhar said:

I'm sorry I didn't reply. I was busy. Yes that's the issue I was having, the log Spam. I will try out the patch as soon as possible! Unfortunately I'm unable to test it at the moment but I will tomorrow Afternoon (I'm from Germany, so time zone shenanigans happen). Thank you so much the quick help!

No problem.  Sorry about the spam, the debug dll got released by accident.

Hey guys !

I saw something about a needof a modeler in the previous topic ? 

If yes tell me what you need, I should be able to do some stuff in my spare time. I'm not able to code or integrate but I'm definitely able to model and texturize stuffs. 

Tell me if needed, I can provide OBJ/.blend objects and textures :)

Edited by Da_Pedro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had some problems with the "Max. Strut Length" setting, it will not save the setting when i change it so if the beams at setting 10 are too short, i can't get it to go higher.

I have a workaround for this problem, just in case anybody else has the same problem. Insert "MaxStrutLength = 30" at the "MODULE" part of the part cfg file, so it looks like

MODULE
    {
        name = QuantumStrut
        IsEnabled = true
        PowerConsumption = 0.01
        MaxStrutLength = 30

It worked for me so maybe it helps someone else aswell.

Greets

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2017 at 5:10 AM, Satlock said:

I had some problems with the "Max. Strut Length" setting, it will not save the setting when i change it so if the beams at setting 10 are too short, i can't get it to go higher.

I have a workaround for this problem, just in case anybody else has the same problem. Insert "MaxStrutLength = 30" at the "MODULE" part of the part cfg file, so it looks like

MODULE
    {
        name = QuantumStrut
        IsEnabled = true
        PowerConsumption = 0.01
        MaxStrutLength = 30

Greets

Just FYI, that's a good tip but I think it would be better to put that in your own MM .cfg file.  Otherwise it will get clobbered when QS updates.  I think something like this might work (I plan to try it tonight):

@PART[*]:HAS[MODULE[QuantumStrut]]
{
	@MODULE[QuantumStrut] 
	{
		@MaxStrutLength = 30
	}
}

Or something close to that.  I'm still learning MM syntax.

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2017 at 8:10 AM, Satlock said:

MODULE
    {
        name = QuantumStrut
        IsEnabled = true
        PowerConsumption = 0.01
        MaxStrutLength = 30

Greets

Fixed:

New minor release:  1.7.1.1:

• made MaxStrutLength persistent
Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.