[KSP 1.3.0->1.5.*] Mod Pods

TiktaalikDreaming

The dev for this is all over in the WIP forum topic

Now, while this is still a work in progress, that's because the planned part list is large.  Apart from some tidy up on IVAs, and some frustrating issues with a few things like antenna, these parts are done and ready for release.  As a release version, I will also endeavour to not change any existing part in such a way as to break anyone's game or block loading craft that use the parts.  Other than that, there's still a heap of work to do.

So, what is it?  It's basically a way of making larger pods.  Not by providing any giant pods, but by providing a set of floors/stories to pods to add onto the existing pods.  Mainly the Mk1-2pod (the same idea has already been embarked on in the M.O.L.E. mod for the Mk1 pod, to a large degree, and I don't intend to duplicate someone else's work).  So, each module will be roughly as tall as the Mk1-2Pod, and go from a size N to Size N+1.  So far, I've mostly just done size 2 to size 3.  So there's now a use for that 3.75m heatshield.The only part that isn't like that so far isn't very usable, as I haven't added 5m heat shields.

Somehow during dev, integrated heatshields and aeroplug engines snuck into the mix.  These are inspired by the ROMBUS/PEGASUS/etc plans of Doulgas Aerospace.  So far, there's three flavours.  The simplest is a standard heat shield with an ablative surface, used as the base of an aeroplug (truncated aerospike) engine that forms the whole base of the craft.  Then there's a monopropellant variant.  And a more Romboid edition following the Douglas/Bono plan where liquid fuel (in RL was to have been liquid hydrogen) is circulated around the base and bled off so it acted to carry away the heat.

The parts in the first release are basically a teaser for what I'm aiming at for a series of sizes.  The eventual goal was to get to size 8 (10m), and hopefully I'll get there.  Working from small to large means it'll be useful all along though.

Release Versions (tested, etc) Download link (updated to 1.0.2)

Work in Progress versions at https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/ModPods/releases

Wildly beta, untested, sometimes me just syncing stuff from laptop to desktop or vice versa; https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/ModPods

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) 

KottabosGames did up a nice we preview;

Now, I'm going to paste a pic for each of the parts, because album support in the forum is still cactus.  Sorry, kaktus.

h4ewNOc.png

veOlyvm.png

TW14piO.png

UbJ15nc.png

8cNX2en.png

o8SHkJI.png

OMF7CJC.png

ZaZ0yH2.png

QXu0vX0.png

IWYwoWG.png

PcvYHM1.png

AFhORzo.png

buBnR1N.png

KNOWN ISSUES:

Antenna.  Sometimes they work sometimes they don't.  But I get the same with the internal antenna on the mk1-2pod so it might just be me not knowing how antennas work in 1.2. Antenna type changed to Direct rather than INTERNAL, and most issues seem to have gone away.  I'm not 100% sure though, so if you have any data transmission issues with them, please let me know.

Several IVA props are not yet textured.  I know.  I wish there was as much freely available image material for them all as for the fire extinguisher, but alas.  I will get there.

The two IVAs are not complete.  The textures are incomplete on both, and the science lab is still quite sparse.  AKA, it needs MOAR stuff!

I get a bewildering weirdness with one of the ladders on the Science lab.  It's bewildering as it doesn't affect the crew module, which has the same ladder.  And it's not the ladder that passes over the science bay door.

There's some issues with transmitting science stored in the science lab.  Probably to do with the module ordering, or possibly a conflict between the many overlapping functions.  I'm having some fun trying to nail down what might be causing that.

NOTE: I've shifted the props out to their own mod for a couple of reasons.  This permits me to re-use the props in the MEM mod, and having duplicates was annoying.  And this allows anyone else doing IVAs access to the props as a separate package.  See 

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming
Update version

1 hour ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

QXu0vX0.png

Love this one :) (the others too)

It don't seems to be on you todo list but would you consider doing a pod extension that's not conical ? Like a short 2.5m sleeping compartment for 1 or 2 Kerbals ? I could really use it as lately my rockets tends to grow to fast to a 3.75 size.

Anyway thanks for the hard work.

26 minutes ago, Li0n said:

Love this one :) (the others too)

It don't seems to be on you todo list but would you consider doing a pod extension that's not conical ? Like a short 2.5m sleeping compartment for 1 or 2 Kerbals ? I could really use it as lately my rockets tends to grow to fast to a 3.75 size.

Anyway thanks for the hard work.

Well, the aim was to make it possible to build a pod that would fit on top of my Nexus stack as a single conical beast with interchangeable bits.  But I'm constantly tempted to add in the parts I consider missing. I'm pretty tempted to add in a 3.75m circular mono tank as well, but it doesn't quite fit.  I might start a mod that's just a collection of those parts that don't quite belong anywhere, but the game sorta needs.

Still tweaking IVAs.  The latest update has an updated laptop and some tidy ups on a few other props.  I left off the circle around the Kell logo on the back of the laptop.

I'm now working on filling out the Lab workstations.  At the moment, that one kerbal seems to have all the kit, scanning electron microscope and glove box, and a laptop, while the other 3 are just along for the ride.  So I'll be adding some work for them.  I want to make one a telescope station, probably have the one closest to the mini ISRU have a collection of chemistry bits, and so on.

Also, I added a rescaled Romboid engine for the 5m size so that one part doesn't look too lonely.  And fixed up the title fields, and the textures on the romboids.

I've updated again.  1.0.2.  No major significant changes to anything, but I wanted to get the decouplers out there, seeing as there aren't any stock 5m ones.  Also included is a WIP 3.75m-to-5m lab.  That is a part where I can't make the promise not to break saved craft if you use it.  Hopefully wrapping it in a "Work in Progress" image helps to make that clear.  :-)

Apart from that there's just a teeny bit more of the slow march towards finished IVAs.

And, just after an upload is THE BEST time to fix an issue.  I have a fix for the science lab never using it's stored science.
It will be included next time, but I just had my indexes wrong, because I didn't even notice there were indexes.  Was 0, should be 4.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceLab
        containerModuleIndex = 4

K, I may have got in early enough.  I've re-updated to include the science lab pointing to science container fix.  Looks like 8 early adopters between updates.  Sorry guys.  :-(

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

3 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

And, just after an upload is THE BEST time to fix an issue.  I have a fix for the science lab never using it's stored science.
It will be included next time, but I just had my indexes indices wrong, because I didn't even notice there were indexes.  Was 0, should be 4.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceLab
        containerModuleIndex = 4

K, I may have got in early enough.  I've re-updated to include the science lab pointing to science container fix.  Looks like 8 early adopters between updates.  Sorry guys.  :-(

Fixed that for you (apologies, my OCD demanded it)

And, because I've had a few questions about it, I realise I never posted my plan for which parts I'd do.  So I've added that to the OP for the WIP topic.  So yes, I will be doing a command pod for 3.75m-to-5m AND for 5m-to-6.25m etc etc.  Ditto for all the other parts.  What's not mentioned is I think I'm going to want to add some double height cargo modules.  Because my land rover doesn't have enough space.  Can't have that.   :-) 

• 2 months later...

I'm getting the following error when loading:

[Agent]: Cannot find logo scaled at url 'ModPods/Agencies/Podular_logo_scaled'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[Agent]: Failed to scale the logo [ModPods/Agencies/Podular_logo] into a logoScaled. Exception: UnityEngine.UnityException: Texture 'ModPods/Agencies/Podular_logo' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:GetPixels (int,int,int,int,int)
  at UnityEngine.Texture2D.GetPixels (Int32 miplevel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Texture2D.GetPixels () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Contracts.Agents.Agent..ctor (System.String name, System.String logoURL, System.String logoScaledURL) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I verified that the files were there:

4MIBUYJ.png

• 2 months later...

I love this mod but the big aerospike engines have a pretty sever thrust offset that makes them nigh unusable as well as them having using just mod pod fuel tanks about 17 Gs of acceleration to start with!  It is a bit excessive but not an issue but I just cannot use the engine due to the thrust offset.  

On 5/18/2017 at 6:58 PM, captinjoehenry said:

I love this mod but the big aerospike engines have a pretty sever thrust offset that makes them nigh unusable as well as them having using just mod pod fuel tanks about 17 Gs of acceleration to start with!  It is a bit excessive but not an issue but I just cannot use the engine due to the thrust offset.  

Only just noticed this is in both the dev and prod threads. 

As discussed, this was due to limitations in the physics system vs CPU capability.  Not everyone will notice it (depends on computer).  Should be significantly reduced by updating to 1.0.3 which has 18 thrust vectors instead of 36.

Just a heads-up: your 1.0.4 release for 1.3 compatibility won't install through CKAN: "Trying to install Modular Pods 1.0.4, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted." The download file is there in the cache, though, and is at least a functional .zip file.

Exception details given as follows:

************** Exception Text **************
CKAN.FileNotFoundKraken: Trying to install ModularPods 1.0.4, but it's not downloaded or download is corrupted
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.Install(CkanModule module, String filename)
   at CKAN.ModuleInstaller.InstallList(ICollection`1 modules, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IDownloader downloader)
   at CKAN.Main.WasSuccessful(Action action)
   at CKAN.Main.InstallMods(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
   at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

-c