[KSP 1.3.0->1.5.*] Mod Pods

TiktaalikDreaming

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just a suggestion, if the mod supports multiple (ie:  parts mods which work unchanged), you could do [1.4.*, 1.5.*] .......

I do this for my mods when it works

That's a good idea actually. Preanswer some of the "does this work in 0.80?" questions. I'll do that once at a computer. Editing forum things on mobile is still pretty horrible.

1 hour ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

That's a good idea actually. Preanswer some of the "does this work in 0.80?" questions. I'll do that once at a computer. Editing forum things on mobile is still pretty horrible.

Editing anything with this nasty forum software can devolve into something pretty horrible in a hurry on any platform.

32 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Editing anything with this nasty forum software can devolve into something pretty horrible in a hurry on any platform.

Well, at least on desktop it doesn't jump around all over the place.  Not saying it then becomes my favourite web content editor, but it stops being next to unusable. 

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

Is there anyway to stop the shroud from defaulting to enabled when something is attached to the bottom of the service module?

I'm the right click menu, you can turn it off in the VAB. You can't alter the default on v off for the part without editing the cfg file or writing an MM patch.

2 hours ago, dlrk said:

I looked at the CFG, and I couldn't figure out what to change to stop it from defaulting to enabled. Which CFG section is it?

mmm... checking the module, I'm not sure if it's actually an option.  See Public Attributes of https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_module_jettison.html

You could try isFairing = false, but I have no idea what that does.

Otherwise try flipping some of the various true/false things, or setting the bottomNodeName to something that isn't top or bottom (so it would not trigger the fairing for any attachment). 

Generally, if you want edits without stuffing up future updates, the gold standard is to write them as Module Manager patches.

So, for example, you create folder in GameData for just your own custom bits, and add a whatever.cfg file and put in something like;

@PART[mk2to3ServM]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleJettison]
    {
        @bottomNodeName = notbottom
        @isFairing = False
   }
}

And assuming you have ModuleManager (like 99.9999999% of KSP players) then MM will edit ModuleJettison on that named part and edit those values.  To add new variables, just put them in without the leading @

2 hours ago, dlrk said:

So, as it turns out shroudHideOverride = True defaults the shroud to disabled apparently....huh

LOL. Well, I never really expected the variable names to make complete sense, but I'm, whatever.

I am thinking of redoing or tidying up some parts at least. And in this post 1.3 world I could just use part variants.

But I have quite a back log of things to revamp, and this isn't high on the list because it doesn't look awful. But at some stage, I'd like to fix a bunch of issues.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying so hard to get the mk2to3CrewCabin's antenna to work with RemoteTech but get all kinds of animation issues. I'm certain I'm using the correct animation name and DeployFxModules index, I can elaborate once I'm done with my current testing.

My preferred version would even be demoting the pod to a mere personell carrier (I fit the Mk1-2 pod on top as a control pod) and turning it into a ModuleRTAntenna with two ranges (high range for deployed antenna).

Has anyone else tried this?

Edit: wait, I may be using a previous version with that bug... 

Edited by Zah

1 hour ago, Zah said:

I'm trying so hard to get the mk2to3CrewCabin's antenna to work with RemoteTech but get all kinds of animation issues. I'm certain I'm using the correct animation name and DeployFxModules index, I can elaborate once I'm done with my current testing.

My preferred version would even be demoting the pod to a mere personell carrier (I fit the Mk1-2 pod on top as a control pod) and turning it into a ModuleRTAntenna with two ranges (high range for deployed antenna).

Has anyone else tried this?

Edit: wait, I may be using a previous version with that bug... 

I can take a look if it's still an issue.

Due to various factors (mostly the science module bay doors, but also laziness) the antenna is pretty much independent of the pod itself.  So the unity hierarchy is a bit off compared to referring to most other animations. It helps to be able to view the setup in unity.

Also, for reference, I have no clue about remote tech. But happy to look into how it references animations. :)

12 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I can take a look if it's still an issue.

Due to various factors (mostly the science module bay doors, but also laziness) the antenna is pretty much independent of the pod itself.  So the unity hierarchy is a bit off compared to referring to most other animations. It helps to be able to view the setup in unity.

Also, for reference, I have no clue about remote tech. But happy to look into how it references animations. :)

It persists, but I'll have to redo all my testing with the new model now. I get flickering of the cabin light when activating the RT antenna.
https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/modders/modules/

I'll supply more info on what I tried but currently watching DasValdez.

7 minutes ago, Zah said:

It persists, but I'll have to redo all my testing with the new model now. I get flickering of the cabin light when activating the RT antenna.
https://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/modders/modules/

I'll supply more info on what I tried but currently watching DasValdez.

Sounds like it might just be a case of ensuring it references the correct animation. Pretty sure the mod is too old to have used the colour changing module for Windows lights, so that will be an animation as well. And once you start adding modules with mm the ordering might not be what you expect, esp if you remove earlier modules.

Edit, checked on git, you should have the deploy fx module set as 0, for the current version. If it's 1, then I'd expect the windows to become "interesting".

Also, these parts are insanely inefficient with textures. Holey crap, I should redo the unwrap and texturing.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

46 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Sounds like it might just be a case of ensuring it references the correct animation. Pretty sure the mod is too old to have used the colour changing module for Windows lights, so that will be an animation as well. And once you start adding modules with mm the ordering might not be what you expect, esp if you remove earlier modules.

My current attempt is sort of hacky, I just commented out all the modules I don't need in the part config, and then I manually add the RT antenna module. That may just work as opposed to patching.
Edit: yes, the window light is an anim.

46 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Edit, checked on git, you should have the deploy fx module set as 0, for the current version. If it's 1, then I'd expect the windows to become "interesting".

Also, these parts are insanely inefficient with textures. Holey crap, I should redo the unwrap and texturing.

Always used 0, always had flickering. I mean, it animates the antenna AND flickers the cabin light.

I, uh, changed the textures myself a little to match the stock textures more :D

https://imgur.com/a/3xPEkt7

Edit 2:

PART
{
	name = mk2to3CrewCabin
	module = Part
	author = TD
	mesh = NewModel.mu
	rescaleFactor = 1.0
	node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.6129, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,2
	node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.7129, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0,3

CrewCapacity = 8
	TechRequired = highAltitudeFlight
	entryCost = 12000
	cost = 4200
	category = Pods
	subcategory = 0
	title = Crew Cabin Size 2 to 3 
	manufacturer = Podular Mechaniks
	description = A Sz2 to Sz3 Profile Compliant, eco-friendly crew transportation module, made from up to 80% recycled (paper) aircraft components. 
	attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
	mass = 2.1//4.2 -- lowered because modded to be a can with antenna and crew storage with large battery.
	dragModelType = default
	maximum_drag = 0.2
	minimum_drag = 0.3
	angularDrag = 2
	crashTolerance = 45
	breakingForce = 200
	breakingTorque = 200
	maxTemp = 1400
	skinMaxTemp = 2500
	emissiveConstant = 0.8
	vesselType = Ship
	bulkheadProfiles = size2, size3
	tags = base contain outpost passenger statio (stor tour
	INTERNAL
	{
	  name = Mk2to3Internal
	}
	MODULE//0
	{
		name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
		animationName = Extend
		//actionGUIName = Toggle Antenna
		//startEventGUIName = Extend Antenna
		//endEventGUIName = Retract Antenna
		//allowAnimationWhileShielded = False
		allowManualControl = false // added
	}
	MODULE//1
	{
		name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
		animationName = CrewCabinLight
		actionGUIName = Toggle Lights
		defaultActionGroup = Light
		startEventGUIName = Lights On
		endEventGUIName = Lights Off
	}
	//MODULE
	//{
	//	name = ModuleCommand
	//	minimumCrew = 0
	//	RESOURCE
	//	{
	//		name = ElectricCharge
	//		rate = 0.020
	//	}
	//	hasHibernation = True
	//}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceExperiment
		experimentID = crewReport
		experimentActionName = Crew Report
		resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
		reviewActionName = Review Report
		useStaging = False
		useActionGroups = True
		hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
		rerunnable = True
		xmitDataScalar = 1.0
		usageReqMaskInternal = 5
		usageReqMaskExternal = -1
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer
		reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
		storeActionName = Store Experiments
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 2.0
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = FlagDecal
		textureQuadName = Flag
	}
	//MODULE
	//{
	//	name = ModuleDataTransmitter
	//	antennaType = DIRECT
	//	packetInterval = 2.0
	//	packetSize = 2
	//	packetResourceCost = 8.0
	//	requiredResource = ElectricCharge
	//	antennaPower = 50000
	//	DeployFxModules = 0
	//}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleRTAntenna
		Mode0OmniRange =  300000
		Mode1OmniRange = 4000000
		EnergyCost = 0.19
		DeployFxModules = 0//antenna!

TRANSMITTER
		{
			PacketInterval = 0.3
			PacketSize = 2
			PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleJettison
		jettisonName = PlainFairing
		bottomNodeName = bottom
		isFairing = True
		jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
		jettisonForce = 5
		jettisonDirection = 0 0 1
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 1000
		maxAmount = 1000
	}
	//MODULE
	//{
	//	name = ModuleSAS
	//}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKerbNetAccess
		MinimumFoV = 21
		MaximumFoV = 54
		AnomalyDetection = 0.06
		DISPLAY_MODES
		{
			Mode = Terrain
		}
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleReactionWheel
		PitchTorque = 15
		YawTorque = 15
		RollTorque = 20
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			rate = 1.2
		}
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = MonoPropellant
		amount = 0
		maxAmount = 80
	}
}

No matter what I try, even this hack, I get light flickering when activating the RT antenna.

Now I know RT doesn't recommend ModuleRTAntenna for pods, but I removed the command-pod module so RT should treat this as an antenna only.
I very much like the idea of having a low range antenna when not deployed (for reentry/launch) and a long range antenna when deployed. This is sort of my crew shuttle for within Kerbin SOI and I bring one or two for interplanetary missions so part count matters, I'd love not having to add an antenna part.

I've also tried a normal RT MM patch

@PART[mk2to3CrewCabin]:AFTER[ModPods]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
		%Mode0OmniRange =  300000
		%Mode1OmniRange = 4000000
		%EnergyCost = 0.19
		%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER
		{
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}

}

Same thing. It's weird.

Edited by Zah

• 3 years later...

@TiktaalikDreaming

Are you aware that the node placement of the Size 2 to 3 parts are not properly placed for the latest Mk 1-3?

6pD9ZyE.png

Edit:  I just checked it in a different save, they look ok with stock, but with ReStock, it's a problem

Looks like setting the top node to this makes it look better:

0.0, 0.7329, 0.0

It's not perfect, but until you  (or the restock people) redo the texturs, it looks ok:

3CdPkdC.png

For anyone interested, here is a patch to fix this issue:

@PART[Mk2to3ServBay]:NEEDS[ReStock]
{
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.7329, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,2
}
@PART[mk2to3CrewCabin]:NEEDS[ReStock]
{
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.7329, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,2
}
@PART[mk2to3Dual]:NEEDS[ReStock]
{