TiktaalikDreaming

[KSP 1.3.0->1.5.*] Mod Pods

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just a suggestion, if the mod supports multiple (ie:  parts mods which work unchanged), you could do [1.4.*, 1.5.*] .......

I do this for my mods when it works

That's a good idea actually. Preanswer some of the "does this work in 0.80?" questions. I'll do that once at a computer. Editing forum things on mobile is still pretty horrible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

That's a good idea actually. Preanswer some of the "does this work in 0.80?" questions. I'll do that once at a computer. Editing forum things on mobile is still pretty horrible.

Editing anything with this nasty forum software can devolve into something pretty horrible in a hurry on any platform.

32 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Editing anything with this nasty forum software can devolve into something pretty horrible in a hurry on any platform.

Well, at least on desktop it doesn't jump around all over the place.  Not saying it then becomes my favourite web content editor, but it stops being next to unusable. 

• Like 2

Is there anyway to stop the shroud from defaulting to enabled when something is attached to the bottom of the service module?

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

Is there anyway to stop the shroud from defaulting to enabled when something is attached to the bottom of the service module?

I'm the right click menu, you can turn it off in the VAB. You can't alter the default on v off for the part without editing the cfg file or writing an MM patch.

I looked at the CFG, and I couldn't figure out what to change to stop it from defaulting to enabled. Which CFG section is it?

2 hours ago, dlrk said:

I looked at the CFG, and I couldn't figure out what to change to stop it from defaulting to enabled. Which CFG section is it?

mmm... checking the module, I'm not sure if it's actually an option.  See Public Attributes of https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/api/class_module_jettison.html

You could try isFairing = false, but I have no idea what that does.

Otherwise try flipping some of the various true/false things, or setting the bottomNodeName to something that isn't top or bottom (so it would not trigger the fairing for any attachment). 

Generally, if you want edits without stuffing up future updates, the gold standard is to write them as Module Manager patches.

So, for example, you create folder in GameData for just your own custom bits, and add a whatever.cfg file and put in something like;

@PART[mk2to3ServM]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleJettison]
    {
        @bottomNodeName = notbottom
        @isFairing = False
   }
}

And assuming you have ModuleManager (like 99.9999999% of KSP players) then MM will edit ModuleJettison on that named part and edit those values.  To add new variables, just put them in without the leading @

Hmm, so changing isFairing does nothing, and changing bottomNodeName to a dummy like "notBottom" causes the shroud to always display, as does settig ignoreNodes to true.

2 hours ago, dlrk said:

So, as it turns out shroudHideOverride = True defaults the shroud to disabled apparently....huh

LOL. Well, I never really expected the variable names to make complete sense, but I'm, whatever.

I am thinking of redoing or tidying up some parts at least. And in this post 1.3 world I could just use part variants.

But I have quite a back log of things to revamp, and this isn't high on the list because it doesn't look awful. But at some stage, I'd like to fix a bunch of issues.