How to update a mod?

alpha tech

I have questions relating on the incompatibility of addons with newer versions of ksp.

If I have unity and visual studio, also blender, if I say I want to update a mod for personal use, according to the licenses and have the full right to make any modifcations as long as I give credit to the owner and do not benefit financialy for personal gain the owner has that right .

so how do I update it, because some of the mods work with the newer version and some parts are broken.

like wheels with the 1.1 version .

or communications with the 1.2 update .

and if I misspelled anything please disregard.

Depends on the mod.

If it is simply a parts mod, you usually only need to update som cfg files.... Text.... Normally the models work fine across versions. Often not even cfg editing are needed for pure parts... But it depends.

Plugins you need to get the source code from the mod page. Sometimes recompiling them through visual studio is all you need. Remember to use .net version 3.5!

Model??? Well this I have no idea about.....

3 hours ago, alpha tech said:

I have questions relating on the incompatibility of addons with newer versions of ksp.

If I have unity and visual studio, also blender, if I say I want to update a mod for personal use, according to the licenses and have the full right to make any modifcations as long as I give credit to the owner and do not benefit financialy for personal gain the owner has that right .

so how do I update it, because some of the mods work with the newer version and some parts are broken.

like wheels with the 1.1 version .

or communications with the 1.2 update .

and if I misspelled anything please disregard.

I think the thing that broke most stuff is changes to the colliders for parts models. That at the least requirea pulling rhem into blender likely reapplying the textures and making new colliders in blender or unity. Also, even if the licence allows it i'd probably make a reasonable effort to check with the original author first.

2 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

Depends on the mod.

If it is simply a parts mod, you usually only need to update som cfg files.... Text.... Normally the models work fine across versions. Often not even cfg editing are needed for pure parts... But it depends.

Plugins you need to get the source code from the mod page. Sometimes recompiling them through visual studio is all you need. Remember to use .net version 3.5!

Model??? Well this I have no idea about.....

Like for the antenna I need to update the .cfg file to make it compatible

like from version 1.0.5 to 1.2

Edited by alpha tech

2 hours ago, alpha tech said:

Like for the antenna I need to update the .cfg file to make it compatible

like from version 1.0.5 to 1.2

Yes, for antenna parts that weren't made for 1.2 you would need to go in and update the .cfg for the parts, deleting the old antenna MODULE and adding in the new antenna MODULE. Very easy to do with a simple text editor, I always recommend Notepad++ for editing .cfgs

• 2 years later...
45 minutes ago, EeshSinGer said:

Hi i was wondering is it ok that i update for personal use not to share it to others?

It's generally okay to do whatever you want on your own own machine, if you're not sharing it with others.

However, this thread is a few years old, and its purpose was to answer one person's specific question. Presumably they've long since gotten their answer, so this thread isn't really the right place to tack on additional questions.

Accordingly, locking the thread to prevent further confusion.

I see you've already gone and posted your questions in a new thread of your own, which was going to be my next piece of advice, so it looks as though you're on track. :)