Mod for dead/missing Kerbals in career?

beelzerob

Playing a new career again, I'm looking for something that makes accidentally killing (yes, that really WAS an accident!) Kerbals something that is PAINFUL...but not soul crushing (or space program ending).

I tried setting it in the difficulty settings to return Kerbals after the max amount of time, but it only went as high as 100 hours.  I use Kerbal Construction Time, so 100 hours is nothing.  100 days would be more in line with what I'm thinking.

Is there a mod I'm somehow not seeing that makes death painful but not permanent?  I think I could deal with permanent death, but not for the orange suits...that's too harsh.

Killed/MIA Kerbals could return after a year, or have to be rescued from somewhere on Kerbin, or orbit, or bottom of the ocean....or something.  Does such a mod exist?

I'm not aware of any mods.

Have you investigated whether the Kerbal Respawn system itself is limited to 100 hours? It may be that it's only the limit of the slider. If you go into your save file you should be able to find the setting. Try putting 600 hours instead of 100 and see if that works.

That's a good idea, I'll look into that tonight.

I was looking at the contract mods out there to see how hard it would be to tie a Kerbals death into a contract to go rescue them from wherever they may be, or thereabout.  If I could just stop playing the game long enough, I could probably figure it out....

There is a way to edit a .cfg file that does what you want (I know this because I have done it) but I don't seem to be able to find exactly what needs to be edited right now...

So I guess I'm just here to tell you it's possible, and when you find it would you repost it? I'm sure I'll need it again for some reinstall or the other..

I want to make a mod that allow you to resuscitate Kerbal, I was thinking of a big, heavy part with a non- aerodynamic profile that must be in low orbit above the sun for working. It will make possible the return of dead Kerbal but at a high price. 

Considering I have close to zero experience in modeling it will take me a while... If someone with modelling skill is interested let me now, I should be able to do the code behind it. 

To extend the respawn timer from hours to days you can do it at the beginning of the save persistent.cfg:

DIFFICULTY
{
	MissingCrewsRespawn = True
	RespawnTimer = 7200
}

The quantity is in seconds.

@Li0n If you do make this "Highlogic.CurrentGame.Parameters.CustomParams<GameParameters.DifficultyParams>().RespawnTimer - This is the Kerbal Respawn period. Is initially set to" looks like it may do what you want programmatically.

This and more from JPLRepo here

How about removing experience - they turn up a year later with no experience - that could be painful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.