Planet Pack Alteration

TrooperTK_0421

I was wondering if someone could help me with altering a set of planet packs for personal use. I want to use Antares Solar System, Kerbol Star System, and Kerbol Origins, but they conflict with each other. Can someone tell me or link me to a video that shows me how to alter the planet packs to work with each other, move planets around, delete planets, etc. Also, can someone link me to a video/txt. Document that has a notepad file for a planet/body to use as a template for my own planets I want to create, like binary planets that are VERY close together in a horseshoe configuration that share an atmosphere.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Unfortunately that is an extremely complex request, and the resources you ask to be linked to probably don't exist. Planet pack building is a small niche. Even if there are 10 different planet packs for download, that still means that only 15-20 people or so on these entire forums are really active in the scene. They all taught themselves.

Copying example stuff would be a start. The example stuff in question? Kopernicus itself offers examples for download. And beyond that: the planet packs themselves. Crack open those configs and find out how other authors did their work. If you don't understand what something does, change it and see what happens ingame - maybe do a forum search. You're going to have to learn the majority of Kopernicus yourself, because the mod is poorly documented. Only a single person works on developing it, and he barely even has the time to keep development going next to his IRL obligations. There is nobody with the time and inclination to write a full scope documentation (although, you know, the project is always accepting volunteers...!)

You should also inform yourself about the inherent limitations of KSP as a game. I'm pretty sure that horseshoe orbits are straight-out impossible - this is not a N-body simulation. You have Keplerian conic segments, and that's all. Binary systems don't work, either... but fortunately there's a mod for that. And, well, there's also a mod for the N-body part, but you prooooobably don't want to touch that one... Atmosphere sharing also doesn't work, unless you make do with putting the planets so close to each other and their atmospheres so tall that they intersect. Which just might bait the Kraken, but I wouldn't know.

For additional info, go to the Kopernicus release thread and ask around. But, try to come with actual questions about specific details you don't understand. You can ask "I don't understand how I should use this value" - but if you try to say "someone teach me all the things", you probably won't get aresponse. Kopernicus is too large and too complex for that kind of question to make sense.

You can also try #kspmodding on EsperNet. Not guaranteed that you'll find someone well versed in Kopernicus there at all times, but if there is someone, you might be able to get a discussion going. Maybe some tutoring if you're really lucky.

(I probably don't need to mention that a good understanding of Squad's ConfigNode syntax, as well as Module Manager usage is required to get anywhere with this. Also a solid knowledge of orbital mechanics from a mathematical point of view.)

Good luck in your endeavours, may you find success eventually! :wink:

Edited by Streetwind

21 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Welcome to the forums! :)

Unfortunately that is an extremely complex request, and the resources you ask to be linked to probably don't exist. Planet pack building is a small niche. Even if there are 10 different planet packs for download, that still means that only 15-20 people or so on these entire forums are really active in the scene. They all taught themselves.

Copying example stuff would be a start. The example stuff in question? Kopernicus itself offers examples for download. And beyond that: the planet packs themselves. Crack open those configs and find out how other authors did their work. If you don't understand what something does, change it and see what happens ingame - maybe do a forum search. You're going to have to learn the majority of Kopernicus yourself, because the mod is poorly documented. Only a single person works on developing it, and he barely even has the time to keep development going next to his IRL obligations. There is nobody with the time and inclination to write a full scope documentation (although, you know, the project is always accepting volunteers...!)

You should also inform yourself about the inherent limitations of KSP as a game. I'm pretty sure that horseshoe orbits are straight-out impossible - this is not a N-body simulation. You have Keplerian conic segments, and that's all. Binary systems don't work, either... but fortunately there's a mod for that. And, well, there's also a mod for the N-body part, but you prooooobably don't want to touch that one... Atmosphere sharing also doesn't work, unless you make do with putting the planets so close to each other and their atmospheres so tall that they intersect. Which just might bait the Kraken, but I wouldn't know.

For additional info, go to the Kopernicus release thread and ask around. But, try to come with actual questions about specific details you don't understand. You can ask "I don't understand how I should use this value" - but if you try to say "someone teach me all the things", you probably won't get aresponse. Kopernicus is too large and too complex for that kind of question to make sense.

You can also try #kspmodding on EsperNet. Not guaranteed that you'll find someone well versed in Kopernicus there at all times, but if there is someone, you might be able to get a discussion going. Maybe some tutoring if you're really lucky.

(I probably don't need to mention that a good understanding of Squad's ConfigNode syntax, as well as Module Manager usage is required to get anywhere with this. Also a solid knowledge of orbital mechanics from a mathematical point of view.)

Good luck in your endeavours, may you find success eventually! :wink:

Thank you. As you can probably tell, I'm new to the forums, even though I've been playing KSP since 1.0.5. Apparently Kerbol Origins and Kerbol Star System just hate each other because even switching reference bodies from sun (which is now The All) to Kerbol still caused the game to crash. I think it's due to a retexturing of Cool because in Kerbol Star System, cool looks more detailed, but with Kerbol Origins and Kerbol Star System installed and with the main menu being placed above Jool, Jool reverts to the vanilla texture. Also I watched TheWhiteGuardian's tutorials and began to edit the placement of bodies. I accidentally added an extra 0 to the radius of Kerbol and got a HILARIOUS Result. When I get done editing the planet packs to get them the way I like them, I might post pictures of the pack (If that is allowable). And what you said about the planet idea I mentioned earlier is what I planned to do! The sides closest together will be EXTREMELY Hot, but the other side's would be (relatively) cool at 300F°-400F° (enough to land on). Thank you for the introduction to the forums and I will continue to post about my progress on this discussion!

"Copying example stuff would be a start. The example stuff in question? Kopernicus itself offers examples for download. And beyond that: the planet packs themselves. Crack open those configs and find out how other authors did their work. If you don't understand what something does, change it and see what happens ingame - maybe do a forum search. You're going to have to learn the majority of Kopernicus yourself, because the mod is poorly documented. Only a single person works on developing it, and he barely even has the time to keep development going next to his IRL obligations. There is nobody with the time and inclination to write a full scope documentation (although, you know, the project is always accepting volunteers...!)"

Also (once I figure out how to work Kopernicus fully) I would be more than happy to document how Kopernicus works and all of its features. I would assume that TheWhiteGuardian is the creator of Kopernicus, but I may be wrong. I found some of his tutorials and are about 75-80% done with editing existing planet packs (which is how I'm learning how everything works). I have yet to try to create my own planet, but that will come soon enough. I'm trying to find unique space engine planets to use for textures.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.