Superpenguin160

[1.3.0] ImpossibleDrives

Recommended Posts

ImpossibleDrives

EM-Drive
This is the EM-Drive or the impossible drive(It works in KSP anyway)

It is based after the real world model but I gave it a bit more thrust(1kN), just to make it a bit more Kerbal ;P. The engine uses a massless propellant what makes it have an infinite amount of delta V. 

There is also a cooler because this engine produces a lot of heat.

UcwkmGY.png8KMU8pm.png

                                                                                                        

GyroDrive

This engine produces thrust by swinging the fuel in the tanks around and pumping it to the other tank at the same moment. It produces 1.5kN thrust but it is bigger than the EM-Drive.

It even got the swing animation :kiss:

faeBr3N.png

Download:

Curse
Spacedock

License:
All Rights Reserved

This is my first mod, so feedback is welcome. And do not forget to report bugs.

 


 

Edited by Superpenguin160
Update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that seems to be a great idea. i wanted a mod that would add an emdrive since i read about it in a magazine. but i think 1kn is an overkill. i dont think it should have more than 0.5kn of thrust. 

Edited by notJebKerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made it 1kN because the Ion Engine from Squad is also overpowered and the real engine is much smaller so the thrust could also be more. The amount of Electric charge that you need is also super large so maybe you can say that you need a few kW and that makes that you get more thrust.

So that is why I made it 1kN, feel free to edit the config if you want :P@notJebKerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering when someone would make an EM drive, is it probe sized?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the real one? Like single digits mN/kw at best right? I guess we can get to your numbers if we assume that it's really generating force and that once we figure out how we can figure out how to change it to get more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real one is 1.2 mN/kW, which is maybe a factor of 20 worse than ion engines. Not saying you need this here. Scaling to reasonable gameplay is a great idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Superpenguin160 said:

@Eskandare It is 0.625 indeed, and I am going to make it tweakscale compatible in the next update

Honestly probe size is perfect, that is basically what the real one is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want a new model?

I have no use for it:

miG7CwQ.png
EWQtVey.png
IzLK6Jj.png

Edited by Beale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Beale said:

Want a new model?

I have no use for it:

miG7CwQ.png
EWQtVey.png
IzLK6Jj.png

I really appreciate it, but I think it is cooler that you know that you made the model by yourself. So I think I am going to make my model better when I have time:P

But I like the copper Color you have, may I have that one?

Edited by Superpenguin160

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:

-The texture is much better

-Tweakscale compatible

-The engine now uses 30 ec instead of 20

0WMtFgq.png

Edited by Superpenguin160

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to allow the amount of thrust to vary depending on the amount of electricity being used by the drive, in theory I would assume that if you pump more power then the amount of thrust will go up right? So the actual max thrust should be infinite, it's just relative to the amount of electricity being used. Say you could give it 2000 ec/sec then the drive should give you around 66 kN of thrust. Does KSP even have a mechanic to do this sort of thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, yannym said:

Would it be possible to allow the amount of thrust to vary depending on the amount of electricity being used by the drive, in theory I would assume that if you pump more power then the amount of thrust will go up right? So the actual max thrust should be infinite, it's just relative to the amount of electricity being used. Say you could give it 2000 ec/sec then the drive should give you around 66 kN of thrust. Does KSP even have a mechanic to do this sort of thing?

That is a pretty good idea, it is possible because you can already give the engine half of the energy it needs and than you get less thrust. I will look if I can make something like that, the problem with the real engine is that it produces to much heat so I need to look if I can simulate that too.

I am planning to make a water cooler so that the heat from the engine can be absorbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

Looks like first step with downloading updates of this will be editing out Tweakscale :(

Why is tweakscale compatibility a problem when you haven't got it installed?

Edited by Superpenguin160

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way it's written it attempts to load no matter what. Unlike an MM patch with a conditional statement to add only if TS is detected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

The way it's written it attempts to load no matter what. Unlike an MM patch with a conditional statement to add only if TS is detected.

When I tried it without tweakscale installed I had no problem, but I will make a way so you can load it without tweakscale compatibility tomorrow.

Is it oke to have a second config file with only tweakscale in it or is it better that you can decide by yourself which config you put in your gamedata folder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh i can do all kinda of things for getting great mods to work w/o TS. Went though IR to completely remove TS requirement from that so the change here is a piece of cake by comparison :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update:

Small "fix" There is a config for Tweakscale for the people that haven't got Tweakscale installed, you can easily delete him if you don't want Tweakscale.

Download here

Edited by Superpenguin160

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JeffreyCor @Superpenguin160 you guys realize that if a .cfg has a non-stock module and the mod that provides that module isn't installed, during KSP's boot sequence it notices it, logs it, and then ignores it (meaning that you can play w/o Tweakscale with no problems even if a part references Tweakscale)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@JeffreyCor @Superpenguin160 you guys realize that if a .cfg has a non-stock module and the mod that provides that module isn't installed, during KSP's boot sequence it notices it, logs it, and then ignores it (meaning that you can play w/o Tweakscale with no problems even if a part references Tweakscale)

You realize not loading things when a dependency of it is exactly why the :NEEDS[xyz] is in MM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

You realize not loading things when a dependency of it is exactly why the :NEEDS[xyz] is in MM

Ya I know about that. I was simply replying to your comment about needing to edit out all the Tweakscake stuff because you really don't need to.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Ya I know about that. I was simply replying to your comment about needing to edit out all the Tweakscake stuff because you really don't need to.

in other words had no purpose and added nothing. I think this can be considered done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.