Flight Controls

SavageAngel

Quite a few people do. I'm using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick, which is still a great, cheap option to flight control that I find works really well with the game, both in Windows and Linux. If you search around the forum you'll find people successfully using different HOTAS setups as well, but I think the Unity engine starts to have trouble with more advanced joysticks.

I have set up 2 sticks, one Saitek X52 Pro and one el cheapo 4 axis USB rc simulator controller but curiously enough I am so used to using the keyboard now that I rather keep doing that. Especially during the first few hundred meters on lift off, any cross coupling of axis inputs can lead to some... interesting results and with the keyboard, I'm guarantied no such cross coupling. For space-/airplanes I will probably appreciate the stick a whole lot more.

I did (until Elite Dangerous broke my joystick), but I could never fly craft with it very well, not even aircraft. Where I really liked using it was for docking and station building, with pitch/roll/yaw on the stick, thrust up/down/left/right on the hat and thrust forward/back as two side buttons on my mouse. I'd use the joystick with my left hand and the mouse with the right and not need to touch the keyboard at all. Made doing docking in IVA mode really immersive. 

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

I did (until Elite Dangerous broke my joystick), but I could never fly craft with it very well, not even aircraft. Where I really liked using it was for docking and station building, with pitch/roll/yaw on the stick, thrust up/down/left/right on the hat and thrust forward/back as two side buttons on my mouse. I'd use the joystick with my left hand and the mouse with the right and not need to touch the keyboard at all. Made doing docking in IVA mode really immersive. 

Heh.  Descent: Freespace - The Great War, the expansion, Silent Threat, and Freespace 2, over a period of three years, broke four joysticks of mine.  I guess I can be a bit rough on them.  However, I've mellowed in my old age, and my current Logitech Extreme 3D Pro has been with me for 7 years now.  However, I don't use it for flying rockets in KSP - just planes and spaceplanes.

'Course, I haven't played Freespace in 10 years, so...

Edited by MaxxQ

A flight stick makes a big difference in my enjoyment of the game. Throttle control especially makes soft precision landings with a very small vertical velocity possible. The Thrustmaster T.FLIGHT HOTAS is probably adequate for KSP and tends to run around the $40 range.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.