KSP Weekly: Jeb’s adventures around the world and more!

SQUAD

On 12/3/2016 at 1:47 AM, passinglurker said:

so basically we aren't getting rocket parts for christmas because some one thought the artists time would be better spent on t-shirts, coffee mugs and plushies...

but what about part ballance? I held my tongue about it during 1.2 pre-release because I expected it would be done with the revamp in 1.3 it honestly hurts knowing if you didn't buried your heads in the sand and actually were honest about what was happening with the revamp when it was happening I could have done something so that I would at least have better part ballance.

Part masses are all wrong, and Career mode as it stands now is a mess many features are still proof of concept, progression through the tech tree is rough as there is no sense of flow as you either bog down in the early game out of frustration or you leap over the first 4 tech tiers cause you found an exploit in the unbalanced part stats. It doesn't feel like I'm engineering a rocket when I build it feels well hacky... single player isn't an excuse to half bake ballance, and I can't gift this game or any collectables to others when what is supposed to be the actual game mode part is still full of half baked parts and mechanics that have barely been touched since thier initial implementation. And now you want to shift priorities to merch instead? the statement is appreciated but it doesn't restore my faith in you just yet.

What's unbalanced, other than the pods weighing a million tons?

I just wanna throw in an unabashed fanboy note: KSP is in its current state highly enjoyable, and will in all probability provide me with hundreds of hours of entertainment yet. Any update that provides bug fixes and performance improvements are appreciated.

On 3-12-2016 at 2:47 AM, passinglurker said:

but what about part ballance? I held my tongue about it during 1.2 pre-release because I expected it would be done with the revamp in 1.3 it honestly hurts knowing if you didn't buried your heads in the sand and actually were honest about what was happening with the revamp when it was happening I could have done something so that I would at least have better part ballance.

Part masses are all wrong, and Career mode as it stands now is a mess many features are still proof of concept, progression through the tech tree is rough as there is no sense of flow as you either bog down in the early game out of frustration or you leap over the first 4 tech tiers cause you found an exploit in the unbalanced part stats. It doesn't feel like I'm engineering a rocket when I build it feels well hacky... single player isn't an excuse to half bake ballance, and I can't gift this game or any collectables to others when what is supposed to be the actual game mode part is still full of half baked parts and mechanics that have barely been touched since thier initial implementation. And now you want to shift priorities to merch instead? the statement is appreciated but it doesn't restore my faith in you just yet.

Part balance? Adjusted weight? This is no alpha software. Don't expect it will ever change again. The amount of existing craft is growing every day, lots of people have a very elaborate career mode ... Ever heard of Star Wars Galaxies? It's dead.

And I don't agree with this either:

actual game mode part is still full of half baked parts and mechanics that have barely been touched since thier initial implementation.

Considering Unity's limitations, I feel they've done an outstanding job. Finding a balance between adding features, debugging, optimization, marketing and planning ... 99.9% of the worlds population has never made a game and never will, certainly not the scale of KSP. It's much easier to create a shooter or even a flight sim. KSP is incredibly complex and the most advanced physics simulator any indie developer has ever produced. Looking at that, I feel the models & textures are a very minor issue.

I could rant about what we don't have. I rather look at what we do have.

A different part balance? We can only hope Squad has the motivation and the money for KSP 2.

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

who cares for plushies

And i was actually worried that when i said i dont give a crap about plushies i was alone in that regard.  Long live the anti-plushie bandwagon!

We want useful DEVELOPMENT info in the devnotes, please move the promotional and or unrelated crap into another thread where people who like that sort of stuff can read all about it.  As for the rest of us KSPers, just make the devnotes purely that, developer information and also please consider adding something akin to an official roadmap that will inform the community the direction KSP is heading, and any new major planned features.  And if something ends up being impossible or canceled, just go out and tell us (preferably with an explanation as to why), would make devnotes actually worth reading like they used to be.

4 hours ago, panzer1b said:

And i was actually worried that when i said i dont give a crap about plushies i was alone in that regard.  Long live the anti-plushie bandwagon!

We want useful DEVELOPMENT info in the devnotes, please move the promotional and or unrelated crap into another thread where people who like that sort of stuff can read all about it.  As for the rest of us KSPers, just make the devnotes purely that, developer information and also please consider adding something akin to an official roadmap that will inform the community the direction KSP is heading, and any new major planned features.  And if something ends up being impossible or canceled, just go out and tell us (preferably with an explanation as to why), would make devnotes actually worth reading like they used to be.

Agreed. Stop trying to appeal to us with toys, we want VALUABLE  information.

4 hours ago, panzer1b said:

It's KSP weekly, not KSP devnotes. It's evreything Squad has been doing, not just development. I understand the want for a dev thread, I just don't think it is a high priority on Squad's to-do list

Just now, Garrett Kerman said:

It's KSP weekly, not KSP devnotes. It's evreything Squad has been doing, not just development. I understand the want for a dev thread, I just don't think it is a high priority on Squad's to-do list

Well, they got rid of devnotes (I have no idea why, I don't think they said anything about it), so this is our only source of info outside of rumors. It's kinda disappointing when your only source of info is mostly about not development stuff, which I and many people probably want.

On 03/12/2016 at 10:24 PM, Gaarst said:

I don't expect KER or a stock dV readout to give me the accurate dV for every possible design, as nonsensical as possible, and I'm doing just fine.

I agree with this. Isp mixture is very easy to calculate; different burn times not so much, but not too difficult either. And if my two main engines are facing sideways, and at opposite directions, then it's my own fault for being a dumbass and trusting the ship will go anywhere based on a dV readout. 

On 12/2/2016 at 6:33 PM, SQUAD said:
tumblr_inline_ohl2dxQcOx1rr2wit_540.png

We have been listening to all the concern about what happened to the Rocket Parts Revamp and we wanted to shed some light on that topic. The reality is that the development focus had to shift towards other matters, that is why we decided to make the already completed parts from porkjet’s PartOverhauls public, which you can download here.
Despite the change in priorities, this doesn’t mean that we will put this project aside indefinitely, we may continue porkjet’s work in future installments, but for the time being it is not within our immediate work plans.

See @SQUAD,  You can tell us that you're not working on something and we won't freak out and scream about it.....so how about a console port update?  Pleeeeeeeeease!!!!!!

On 12/4/2016 at 1:39 AM, StarStreak2109 said:

Dear @SQUAD, I would greatly appreciate, if at one stage, you could at least tease, hint at or maybe even give a nonbinding roadmap at what the next KSP version will be about. 

Any sort of hint or verbalized thoughts are currently taken as rock-slid promises by some members of the community who have become very vocally displeased when those 'promises' were not delivered upon.  There is no good reason for squad to provide a community already armed with torches and pitchforks with even more potent weapons, considering the propensity that this community has shown for pointing those weapons at SQUAD.  (people have already suggested trying to sue SQUAD over not delivering things mentioned as 'in-progress' in a squad-cast, so it could be down-right suicidal to actually release anything official)

20 hours ago, panzer1b said:

And the first time Squad gives an honest reason akin to 'We have decided that it is not cost-effective to continue development on (feature wanted by a very small and very vocal minority)' the forums will erupt in a holy-war as that small, vocal minority does everything they can to try and force Squad to change their minds. 

If there is one thing this community has demonstrated, is that there are a number of vocal members with little understanding of the software development process in general and game development in particular.  As such, even explanations such as 'we have determined that we cannot provide this functionality without an O(2^n) performance hit and have decided to stop development on it' will have some people up in arms over losing the potential feature without any understanding that actually adding that feature would make the entire game act like it was being played on an Apple II.

I will also reiterate a statement I made previously: Making promises to customers about things that have not yet been developed is one of the worst things you can do to the person who is responsible for developing those features.  And any company that does this regularly without getting developer by-in first, will not survive long.

1 hour ago, Delta_8930 said:

If you guys want a stock overhaul go check out Ven's Stock Revamp...

Vens is a great mod but the biggest reason i cant consider it for stock is that ALOT of the geometry changes considerably from it to stock so you cant just add the mod and expect every craft you had up to today to work afterwards.  I can seem to find it worth my life now (despite having the parts) but there was a smaller scale 100% stock compatible part revamp (or the start of one, it didnt go very far) somewhere that kept the geometry (and i believe the hitboxes stayed the same) and just made a few of the parts look way better.

That said, if i can find the time to do it, i might actually start texture modding for KSP (that is if we dont get an official graphics overhaul stock).  Ive done it for countless other games, and while new models are ideal, i will say that a good texture can make a bad model look acceptable or even beutiful.

On 03/12/2016 at 0:33 AM, SQUAD said:

The reality is that the development focus had to shift towards other matters,

I`m so glad you cleared that up. I know so much more than when I only had a the idea that you changed priorities for an unknown reason.

8 hours ago, Terwin said:

Any sort of hint or verbalized thoughts are currently taken as rock-slid promises by some members of the community who have become very vocally displeased when those 'promises' were not delivered upon.

Pro life tip:  Never let one person's opinion affect you so much.

4 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Pro life tip:  Never let one person's opinion affect you so much.

That is why I advocate against requests that I think would ultimately be destructive if they were granted.

A company who is continuing to improve upon a game I greatly enjoy being harmed by granting unwise requests/following poor advice is just about the only way they could affect me beyond the few moments it takes to peruse their statements and shoot off a reply. 

(I tend to pretty much forget such things as soon as I feel like I have addressed them, it took me a few moments to even remember what the gist of the unwise requests were in this instance, and as I address ideas and not people, I would not notice if 2/3 or more of my posts were in response to the same person)

That said, I am looking forward to try out the improvements in 1.2.2.

On 12/2/2016 at 5:33 PM, SQUAD said:
...and tests of the Dvorak layouts efficiency in KSP have been inconclusive.

Does this mean there are now default settings for different keyboard layouts??  That's awesome!  I use Dvorak, and setting 999 keybindings every time there's an update is a real headache...

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:44 AM, Keldor said:

Does this mean there are now default settings for different keyboard layouts??  That's awesome!  I use Dvorak, and setting 999 keybindings every time there's an update is a real headache...

Most of that paragraph was a funny poke at country stereotypes; I would not reach to assume any new feature, based on it. 

3 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Most of that paragraph was a funny poke at country stereotypes; I would not reach to assume any new feature, based on it. 

It's about the localization, and setting keyboard defaults. On Dvorak, it'll probably be <,A,O,E instead of WASD and so on.

900px-KB_United_States_Dvorak.svg.png

On 12/6/2016 at 3:44 AM, Keldor said:

Can't you back up your config file and put it back whenever a new update comes out?

3 hours ago, Scientia1423 said:

Whenever I look into the KSP weekly, it seems to me like I go into Syria due to the amount of bombs that are being thrown at Squad and each other.

Can't we all just get along and be friends? Or you know where the door is...

Heated opinions aren't necessarily bad - they're a sign that people actually care about a topic. Even friends disagree with each other. The trick is to keep it polite and, ultimately, not to let it spoil the friendship. By and large, this forum succeeds in that, in my opinion

5 hours ago, Scientia1423 said:

Whenever I look into the KSP weekly, it seems to me like I go into Syria due to the amount of bombs that are being thrown at Squad and each other.

Yes, but with these heated opinions, it seems that Squad stopped their own (pathetic) auto-congratulation ... The thing become (a little) better :P

6 hours ago, Scientia1423 said:

it seems to me like I go into Syria 

Not cool. Make a better analogy. 

6 hours ago, Scientia1423 said:

Disagreements and negative opinions are not bad things. Of course we can get along, just that I don't agree or find what you're doing to be something I like. I do not have to leave.

7 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Disagreements and negative opinions are not bad things. Of course we can get along, just that I don't agree or find what you're doing to be something I like. I do not have to leave.

I know but I see it way too much on KSP(former devnotes) weekly that it's becoming a routine thing...

Everytime I read further into these threads theres always too much anger thats been forced out here which is kind-of pathetic and puts pressure on Squad who are actually doing a fine job at that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.