The Stock Weapons Challenge

1 hour ago, Mitchz95 said:

How'd you do it? Mine always lose the target as soon as I stage them off.

Set the probe core on the missile as the root part, then control from the missile. Since that only works for one missile per fighter, I've been using mid-range missiles that you have to switch to to set target. However, after you do it, it's fire-and-forget.

wVeD6Ns.gif

Also, expect some videos of F-14s and F-5s dogfighting soon. The file corrupted when I overloaded the memory on my computer (1500 parts, 10 craft, recording. How did that happen?), but I'm going to try again as soon as I have 2-3 hours to spend on it.

50 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

I'm trying to put this into practice, but it doesn't seem to be working.

My goal is to come up with a weapon that can reliably punch through the M-2x2 Panel (which almost everyone uses for armor plating). The panel has a mass of 0.3 tonnes and an impact tolerance of 80m/s. So it should therefore require an impact momentum of 24tm/s.

My missiles consist of a single Pocket I-Beam (with two Seperatrons attached), which has a mass of 0.19 tonnes and an impact tolerance of 80m/s. 24/0.19 = 127m/s, so that's the minimum speed I should accelerate them to, correct?

In practice, though, the missiles always either bounce right off the panel, get somehow stuck inside it, or simply explode themselves. In all instances the "armor" is completely undamaged. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I also tried it with the standard I-Beam, which has a mass of 0.38 tonnes. Same thing.

I suspect the impactor has to survive the initial impact.  The standard I-beam should be slightly tougher than the armor panel, but not much.  I was using very massive impactors for my torpedoes (ore tanks).  One could make a "tiny" radius missile with the smallest (radial) ore tanks, but be advised their center of mass is at their radial attachment point, not the center of the tank model.  This would make a true sidewinder of a missile.

When the I-beam is stuck inside the armor plate, I'd wonder if the physics step skipped over the instant of impact?

What are you using for a target?  Theoretically, if you hit the armor plate hard enough, that plate will impact against its joints and potentially break weaker parts it's attached to.

There are folks on these forums who build great beasts of warships with just the type of armor you describe, and weapons that punch holes in it.  I can't find them with a quick search, but I recall them being very impressive.

19 minutes ago, Servo said:

Set the probe core on the missile as the root part, then control from the missile. Since that only works for one missile per fighter, I've been using mid-range missiles that you have to switch to to set target. However, after you do it, it's fire-and-forget.

This is not how my KSP works.  Stock doesn't allow switching between craft in atmo, and If I switch away from a craft, it loses its SAS state.  Are you using some mod that lets you control these squadrons of aircraft in your dogfighting videos?

6 minutes ago, Torquimedes said:

I suspect the impactor has to survive the initial impact.  The standard I-beam should be slightly tougher than the armor panel, but not much.  I was using very massive impactors for my torpedoes (ore tanks).  One could make a "tiny" radius missile with the smallest (radial) ore tanks, but be advised their center of mass is at their radial attachment point, not the center of the tank model.  This would make a true sidewinder of a missile.

When the I-beam is stuck inside the armor plate, I'd wonder if the physics step skipped over the instant of impact?

What are you using for a target?  Theoretically, if you hit the armor plate hard enough, that plate will impact against its joints and potentially break weaker parts it's attached to.

There are folks on these forums who build great beasts of warships with just the type of armor you describe, and weapons that punch holes in it.  I can't find them with a quick search, but I recall them being very impressive.

The impactor (the I-beam) almost always survives, either bouncing off or getting wedged inside the plate. I do get explosions sometimes, but I think that's just the seperatrons going off.

I've tested it against both ships in space and just the mounted plate on a test stand on Kerbin.

I'll look up those warships, thank you!

9 hours ago, Torquimedes said:

This is not how my KSP works.  Stock doesn't allow switching between craft in atmo, and If I switch away from a craft, it loses its SAS state.  Are you using some mod that lets you control these squadrons of aircraft in your dogfighting videos?

As far as I know, it's stock. The catch is that both craft have to be airborne at the same time to switch between. Then, the selection range is 20+km. To switch from in the air to on the ground, you need to be within 200m.

As for SAS, it holds it just fine, so long as you don't switch back to it later. 

On 7-3-2017 at 3:15 AM, Mitchz95 said:

How'd you do it? Mine always lose the target as soon as I stage them off.

Use the reroot tool in the hangar to set a part of your missile as the root part; and use "control from here" on a part of your missile in flight. (you need to do both, not just either)

Edited by Jefzor

12 hours ago, Jeb federation said:

Tanks anyone?

This is the Jackal MK2 MBT. It is equipped with a 4 shot cannon and 2 anti tank missiles.qBAqLLl.png

Interior view of turret...

aEGPXhz.png

The aftermath 

x2NoGEu.png

Awesome tank! What kind of missiles are you using?

I made something nice :D

It's my second attempt at a stock weapon, so it probably hasn't reached its full potential. I named it the Broadsword Flying Bomb.

It's really maneuverable, but it has trouble taking off. Anyways, here's the video (target is VAB):

Oh, and it has a range of about 30km.

Edited by Deathpuff12

On 2017-03-09 at 6:01 PM, Jeb federation said:

the anti tank missiles are Vernor engines and sepratrons attached to a cubic strut

Interesting... how are they arranged? I tried it like this but it still couldn't punch through armor:

gWnWeYI.png

On 3/11/2017 at 6:36 PM, Mitchz95 said:

Interesting... how are they arranged? I tried it like this but it still couldn't punch through armor:

gWnWeYI.png

I have the seperatrons clipped to the center of the cubic strut and the Vernor's are clipped together to form a point. They destroy wing panels usually but they can't do anything to metal plates. However they can clip through the metal plates. They tend to decapitate my tanks by going between the hull and turret and destroying a battery I use as the turret's swivel point.

Edited by Jeb federation

Really couldn't tell you why, but I felt like this needed to be done. If it seems like your thing, check out this 1000 separation swimming pool getting dropped on the science center!

Sepratron Sender

Edit: Also, I put a bit of work into projectiles, and the little plane wheels work well with their spring turned to max and the damper at min. They will regularly spirit through plates, making a HEAT sorta setup. Still trying to get it work consistently, but here's it when it works!

Spoiler

boom.gif

Edited by Cunjo Carl

2 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Really couldn't tell you why, but I felt like this needed to be done. If it seems like your thing, check out this 1000 separation swimming pool getting dropped on the science center!

Sepratron Sender

Edit: Also, I put a bit of work into projectiles, and the little plane wheels work well with their spring turned to max and the damper at min. They will regularly spirit through plates, making a HEAT sorta setup. Still trying to get it work consistently, but here's it when it works!

Reveal hidden contents

boom.gif

Definitely my jam, I spent so much R&D time on my cluster missile, Love cluster Stock weapons gj :cool:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made a heat torpedo a while back. Right before the claw latches onto the hull I fire the sepratrons, they then heat up the plate until it blows up.

I also made a shotgun. The spread depends on the ammo.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 7:49 PM, boomchacle said:

that was the prototype for a recoil/blow-back operated weapon.

its not very powerful as its just a prototype

its also too bulky to be attached to anything

how does it work?

Within an hour, I had made this bomber called The Ceti "Skyshot" Bomber.  It has 2 missiles and 2 unguided bombs.

850911247BFF75454E17214BA3FEFDBC1155D7C9

I discovered on its first launch that it requires the entire runway to take off. I headed for the old island airfield.

CE2986A7A4F9FF8A4F014D09439DB00AB0D99DE7

The accuracy wasn't great, but that was because I didn't know how long to wait before the bombs hit.

E544F32EC5E17085BB54236ED0FAF797476CC70E

BAE079E9D3AF8BB928468C760DF23AE23A6702EE

"Not the best of accuracy..."

Here's the craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Ceti+_Skyshot_+Bomber.craft

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.