River Runner Challenge!

The River Runner challenge is a stock and modded air race that goes along the river northwest of the KSC. You must stay below one kilometer at all times. The starting line is the second bump/ridge (the one at ~0:44). You must be under a kilometer by that time. Sorry if that was unclear. See video below for more info.

Stock Leaderboard:

1. theAvenGuard - 218
  2. Aero Gav - 3:07
  3. KrogTV - 3:25
  4. Fireheart318 - 3:55

Modded Leaderboard:

1. ______ - ______

FAR Leaderboard:

1. ____ - ____

My editing software was acting up, sorry for not having more to show. Either way, this video'll explain what's going on: 

And here's the map: http://imgur.com/PY7KE6C

Edited by Fireheart318

11 minutes ago, rkarmark said:

What are the Starting Cordinats???? Oh does it need to be stock??? Errr challenge rules????? Learderboard???? Hello is this even a challenge???? 

Challenge Submission Guide

He's asking you to fly down the whole river with a plane. I for one found it very easy to see what the challenge was.

Hi there Fireheart318!

I have accepted AND completed your challenge!
I score myself at 3 minutes 25 seconds but I will of course wait until  you review my video and accept this as truth and push me up to the first place spot :wink:

My vehicle entry is my stock built Phoenix 5 (click for craft page) and it manged to hit a top speed of 1316m/s during the race!

1 hour ago, AeroGav said:

Is there a limit on the airspeed you can carry into the start line?    I got a fighter plane with a seriously decent sustained turn rate that would be crossing the start line at way over 400 m/s....

There is no limit. I threw the Speed Demon into a steep dive and pulled up right before crossing the second ridge (starting line). Any kind and combination of engines are allowed. Ions, jets, monoprop, rockets, what drives, you name it!

When do you stop the clock, after passing between those two spits of land out in the bay , is that the finish line, or is it after landing on the sand bar, when it stops moving completely?

I used an existing design but it doesn't have any airbrakes and makes a rather good infini-glider...

OK,  i think the Gryphon is more of a high altitude fighter.  Wings are far too big for going down on the deck.  Had to limit control authority again and again and again, about 15% by this run i think.  Hardest thing was not broaching 1000m accidentally, you can see that halfway through my run i lost a lot of speed by slamming the nose down to prevent a ceiling bust,  then a panicked pull-up to prevent a crash - followed by several more cycles of pilot induced oscillation.   Cut my speed down to 550,  the one thing this plane is good at is hanging onto speed through corners .

Time from start to finish line was 3 minutes dead

Time to landed and stopped (well, almost stopped, as you will see if you watch it) - 4.27  - lack of airbrakes.

ps .   at the end of the vid you see me try a water landing on this thing.  turns out the wing segments that form the engine tunnel make good hydrofoils.  Got me thinking about seaplanes.

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/Silver-Gryphon

8 hours ago, AeroGav said:

When do you stop the clock, after passing between those two spits of land out in the bay , is that the finish line, or is it after landing on the sand bar, when it stops moving completely?

I used an existing design but it doesn't have any airbrakes and makes a rather good infini-glider...

Oh! Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier:

The clock starts when you're over the second bump (very steep dive) (don't worry, I give a lot of leeway on that one, your current run still counts. Just make sure you're under 1 kilometer by that point if you submit another run or that run won't count). The clock stops when you're between the large peninsula on the left and the skinny one on the right that you pulled a hard right at.

Edited by Fireheart318

57 minutes ago, theAvenGuard said:

Ah, good catch!I hadn't noticed while in game. Don't worry Krog, we can fix it with a sub 2:00 time :P

I want to do a hardcore mode of this Challenge. Maybe with a 500m ceiling and gun turrets shooting at you on every corner. 

THAT would be a Death Star run! :o

The river in question is NOT northwest of KSC. it's northeast, on what I would consider the Loneankopa-Ryemnarg border in my old border map. Just a guesstimate is lat 20 long -30 in hyperedit.

Anyway. I'll submit an entry soon.

Edited by Pds314

2:53, will post a vid later, or maybe go for a better run.

19 minutes ago, theAvenGuard said:

There we go, now a bit faster and no breaking 1000m. 

Private video, we cannot watch =/

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.