Kraken! Post your "What???" moments here!

EpicSpaceTroll139

We all have had moments when we botched a mission out of our own stupidity. But I've often wondered how many of us have had our plans thwarted by some strange, and sometimes hilarious bug!

Recently I had this happen when I tried to launch a reasonably large hypersonic aircraft with two parasite aircraft. The configuration looked perfectly fine in the SPH. When I launched it however... uhh... just take a look. :0.0:

2016-12-04%2018-13-46.png

I took the old version and attached new parasitic fighters, and it came out fine that time, so no harm done.

Please post your kraken moments here!

btw, if there is a preexisting thread like this somewhere else, feel free to point it out, and close/merge this thread. I thought there would be, but all the kraken threads I found through search (and also by looking through about 5 pages manually) were complaining about bugs. This thread is for the humor! :D

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139
SPH, not VAB

I just had one today, I set a lander down on the Mun, it was on a slight slope nothing huge, and I sent Bill off to find a flat area to set up some science. He was weighed down with some stuff (KIS) so I couldn't RCS and had to run. It was slow, so smart me forced the physics timewarp to scout a bit faster. I planted my flag, switched to my lander, which for some reason was now laying on its side! I ended up sliding it to the flag to set up experiments and cheated it into orbit (which was a shame because I had a ton of fuel left, I broke a leg on the slide so couldn't go back).

Minmus Quakes. Dire events, with the base often jumping 30 meters up. Leaving lasting damages too. For example, look at these batteries.

dBziWgm.png

Or at these pylons.

R0GrmkB.png

That's all minmus quake damage.

My solution? Launch clamps.

4uUx5uD.png

Although when unstoppable force meets immovable object, sometimes effects are not pretty, In one case it took form of ore tanks scattered everywhere.

I once had an encounter with Duna for a manned mission. I planned to timewarp all the way to Duna's atmosphere (since the game slows down warp automatically as you get closer to the planet) but I was warping in map mode, so the automatic slowing didn't work for some reason. Result? I ended up accidentally warping through Duna and the craft was hurled into orbit around the sun.

Lodfred, Jengen and Hardfield Kerman are still out there to this day...

5 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I once had an encounter with Duna for a manned mission. I planned to timewarp all the way to Duna's atmosphere (since the game slows down warp automatically as you get closer to the planet) but I was warping in map mode, so the automatic slowing didn't work for some reason. Result? I ended up accidentally warping through Duna and the craft was hurled into orbit around the sun.

Lodfred, Jengen and Hardfield Kerman are still out there to this day...

SO THAT'S WHY!

I have flown right through planets before.

Haw. Now I know.

Thanks,

ME

Jeb, Bill, Bob, and a couple minions are currently on a Dres colonization mission, about 40 days out from Kerbin.  When I went to check on the progress of the rescue ship already pursuing them, I found that the colonizer was missing.  Checking the tracking center, I picked them up, but it said "suborbital".

A Kraken attack had split the ship into 3 pieces at zero absolute velocity, and was dropping them into the sun.

At least that one was easy to fix by splicing in an older state of the colonizer from a KAC backup and then deleting the debris.

Loaded my game and anything with a thermometer, .625m LFO or monoprop tank, or Probe core was deleted as part could not load basically my whole comnet was wiped out. Thank goodness i had only jsut started and had only a few in Kerbin SOI

I was playing around with landing a science lab on Duna and the MechJeb module started behaving oddly, so I sent one of my kerbals to check it out and suddenly...

T70qU4j.pngAWm03YO.pngKM39OwS.pngTVe49fS.pngZIPmYVZ.pngkZD7Tyo.png

I eventually got both kerbals into stable orbits and sent a rescue mission.

(Why is album embed not working? Why can I not preview or delete posts?)

Edited by KevinW42

I had a shunting accident once that accidently created an anti gravity generator for a single wagon

I decoupled a tanker wagon from the locomotive but somehow the fuel line stayed connected and kept stretching

Impressive enough on its own

Except the wagon wasnt rolling backwards..it was floating up..without a care in the world.. Silently hovering as the fuel line grow longer

KSP crashed soon after

My response was a very immersion killing.. "No?......"

And it ripped me out of my landtrain mood and its lore like jumping into an ice cold bath!

2 hours ago, W. Kerman said:

Sorry to be a tad off topic, but launch clamps on Minmus? Wut? Isn't that a kraken into itself?

You can load launch clamps into KIS containers, you can manufacture them with OSE workshop, and you can mount them using KIS tools. Also, you need to be very careful; once deployed they soon 'solidify' and there is no force in the universe to move a solidified clamp. (the connection to whatever they hold IS subject to normal in game physics though - but very sturdy.)

Interestingly, once 'solidified', the clamp can be 'moved' with KIS tp a different point on the base. Except the clamp won't move. The base will. Very rapidly and very explosively.

One more thing.

You can't attach clamps to a moving craft. But if the craft's surface speed is near zero, you can attach the clamp just fine... Where else than the surface is the craft's surface speed near zero?

7bERfDF.png

That's a very keostsationary satellite. It's also an extreme kraken bait. Especially to kerbals in its vicinity... creepy things happen.

I docked something in space with the claw, then pivoted, let the stuff float freely behind the ship as I accelerated, then pressed lock and then hell broke loose. My ship started moving outwards the system at over 200000m/s. Looked like a cartoon, watching the planet get smaller so fast, then disappearing into space.

It was a recovery drone tugging away a disaffected satellite for recovery from Minmus towards Kerbin. Yes, I recover parts rather than waste them, I enjoy recovery missions for space junk.

I have no pictures, but it was funny to see, at that speed I could reach any planet in minutes.

Ok, so i was doing more testing and I decide to launch this craft:

0NbBFSn.png

I turn on ignore max temperature, no crash damage, and unbreakable joints. Then I hit launch. The result was spectacular.

1vnNaBY.png

Then, exactly one second later, this happens:

5gAj5tJ.png

I revert to launch, and...

DjlKLDB.png

LRwOHhd.png

Ar6p39S.png

It's the same glitch as in Danny2462's video "Shady"! Side note, does anyone know the glitch's name? Or if it has one?

I have a small creepy story to share.

WVO5ZhS.png

"You CAN'T pilot this thing, Jeb," groaned Bob. "I told you to use the autopilot."

"Okay, okay, let's try again with the autopilot! then!"

8AkqCqq.png"Do you really have to fly full speed two meters above the surface?!"

"I've got it. This autopilot works flawlessly!"

The speeder approached the tower, climbed above its upper surface, and moved slowly towards the roof.

Then - everything went entirely dark and quiet. Bob could only hear his breath in the EVA suit.

Bob stood up, reorienting himself. His vision returned. The old tower was gone. He spotted a silhouette nearby.

Egfnpk3.png

"Jeb, is that you?"

VKTsXgv.png

"Jeb?"

A8RCmNj.png

"...Jeb?"

"Mission Control! Revert Revert! Rever..."

ugs7GyA.png

But Revert didn't help.

c4foGUo.png

The control tower was not the only thing gone. The other thing gone was the Sun. And all other planets. Morning would never come again.

tl;dr: Throttle Controlled Avionics can't handle geometry of the old control tower as reference for altitude hold.

Edited by Sharpy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.