Fairing Destroys Launchpad. Bug?

KSP Version: v1.2 Windows x64

What Happens: Launchpad explodes several seconds after launch if nose fairing is deployed prior to liftoff

Mods / Add-Ons: All Stock

Steps to Replicate:

While trying to fulfill two contracts with one ship, I built a small rocket consisting of:

1 Flea SRB
1 2.5m Fairing
1 Stayputnik Probe Core
3 Fins
1 Mk16 Parachute

The staging order was fairing, engine, parachute.

The fairing deploys normally and then the rocket lifts off.  A few seconds after liftoff, however, the maxed out launchpad explodes.

Fixes/Workarounds:

-change the fairing to an interstage fairing or do not deploy before liftoff.  (The pre-liftoff deployment is only a use case for contract fulfillment anyway.)

Other Notes/Pictures/Log Files:

Demonstration:  (the video is using a "hammer" engine but it still blew up)

Edited by Omaha
applied bug report format

First of all, welcome to the forums :cool:

Second of all, this may be the best example of how to ask a question on the forums that I've ever seen. Well done, mate. Cheers.

Lastly, it looks like the exhaust from your engines is overheating and exploding your fairing debris.

Try increasing the ejection force of the fairings to get them clear of the launchpad. Right click on the fairing in the VAB to change it. (you might need to turn on "advanced tweakables" in the settings menu)

EDIT: You can also hit F3 while in flight to view your "event log" to see what has occurred 

Edited by Gianni1122

I appreciate the reply and the comments.  I am glad I did it right.

I like your idea, and it seems probable.  I will try again later and try to keep the camera focused on the launchpad to see if the explosions originate at the debris.  One thing that I"m not sure about is that if I change it to an interstage fairing (I did this by adding a structural fuselage above the probe core, nosing it with just the parachute, and then wrapping the fairing around the core in the middle) the problem does not occur, even though the fairing pieces fell on the launchpad again.  I'll also check that event log--I did not not know how to view it outside of the catastrophic failure debriefing screen.

However, in this instance, the launchpad itself is destroyed (You can make out the flaming wreckage at about :23 in the video if you're viewing it at a high enough resolution).

I think my big question is:  Should fairing debris on the launchpad, even if overheated, cause the launchpad to self destruct?  That seems so incorrect and expensive for career games given the tiny size of the rocket involved.

Edited by Omaha

4 hours ago, Sereneti said:

The reason for explode is: the exploding fairings do damage. - and the builings explode if they recive damage....

Not really... or anything colliding with a building would make them go boom. Each building has a set amount of damage it can withstand, KSP computes damage based on a number of factors, including mass and speed of the object and time it takes to cause damage to the building. But sure fairing shells shouldn't do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.