Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2 is live!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, Mako said:

I suspect we'll be waiting a while for a fix to this... The expert(s) who built it are gone... I'd love to be completely mistaken.

Yeah, I have a very similar suspicion, but didn't want to imply that the devs don't know how to fix it without hearing some official word. Then again, since there's been no word at all...
Lets hope Squad has some decent documentation on all these core systems now that the architects have moved on.

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

So, the Upgrades in Sandbox are still not on by default ???

No, and there's no indication that it's wrong to default to lowest.

If you keep complaining, maybe they'll default it to the middle like they did with throttle, so nobody will be happy.

9 hours ago, Azimech said:

For everyone having problems with terrain seams: just play with spring and damper settings. I don't have any problems with my cars.

The infamous "I'm not having problems so it must be you" response.

Edited by klgraham1013

4 hours ago, Mako said:

The expert(s) who built it are gone, and since we haven't heard anything about this issue I'd guess that those who remain (or are newly hired) have quite a bit to figure out regarding this system before they can begin to fix it.

Turns out you should try to hold on to your best talent until the project is actually finished.

1 minute ago, RentedTritium said:

Man this thread is just full of people who have never worked on large software projects. 

Unfortunately, that's the way things are outside of this thread, too. This is one of the reasons we have a "don't ask for update schedules" rule.

4 minutes ago, RentedTritium said:

Man this thread is just full of people who have never worked on large software projects. 

This. And full of people who think they are the center of the universe (we were during early access, but a lot of SQUAD's attention has moved on to a much wider target group since then).

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

No, and there's no indication that it's wrong to default to lowest.

If you keep complaining, maybe they'll default it to the middle like they did with throttle, so nobody will be happy.

It's sandbox, upgrades should be set to On by default. Right now it is causing issues with users not knowing why parts can not be scaled up without going through updates first in Sandbox. The whole point of sandbox is not to have to go through any kind of progression.

3 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

So, the Upgrades in Sandbox are still not on by default ???

Seriously dude?  That doesn't even seem worth bringing attention to.  You know where the radio button is in the game settings when you start a new game obviously. So why nit-pick what is set as on by default?  You can easily turn it on, and obviously you know to look for it...

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

The infamous "I'm not having problems so it must be you" response.

I don't really think that was the attitude.  I think he/she was simply saying "hey, I found a way to compensate for this issue" and was sharing.  I see no reason to assume it was "I'm not having problems so it must be you".

22 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

It's sandbox, upgrades should be set to On by default. Right now it is causing issues with users not knowing why parts can not be scaled up without going through updates first in Sandbox. The whole point of sandbox is not to have to go through any kind of progression.

Sounds to me like the actual issue is that users don't know to go look through the settings when they create a new game, not which options are on by default.  There are CommNet options that are off by default as well as advanced tweakables, etc.  Users not knowing to check settings when they create a game is the issue, but how do you suggest fixing that?  A guided wizard for new game creation?  (might be ok)  Or should people learn to be a bit more detail oriented and actually look through things and learn how they work? (kinda like, you know, most video games, your coffee maker, your phone, your car, etc.)  Seems to me that is the actual solution, rather than getting into some debate to determine which options should be on and off by default, which would end up in the obvious state of "there is no single arrangement that makes everyone happy".

Edited by stellargeli

Hey, everybody. This is a thread to discuss the 1.2.2 version and its features, not to attack each other.

Some posts that were not about the release have been removed. Let's please all stay on-topic.

Edited by monstah

On 12/7/2016 at 2:19 PM, Floby said:

... The console version status of this game is uncertain. The PC players are getting patches, communication, and updates. We console players are part of this community. So when you say "Yeah, what of it?", please be specific about what you mean...

I mean what is the status of the console version, but, as always, Flying Tiger is secretive.

5 hours ago, stellargeli said:

I don't really think that was the attitude.  I think he/she was simply saying "hey, I found a way to compensate for this issue" and was sharing.  I see no reason to assume it was "I'm not having problems so it must be you".

The problem is when a work around becomes an excuse for a bug.

6 hours ago, RentedTritium said:

This thread is full of customers who shouldn't be required to care how the sausage is made.  Judge products on what they are.  No other variables should be required.

Edited by klgraham1013

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

This thread is full of customers who shouldn't be required to care how the sausage is made.  Judge products on what they are.  No other variables should be required.

No other variables are required and yet here we are with a thread full of people having their sausage opinions on how they imagine the sausage industry must work. That's a variable too.

You bought a sausage and here it is. It's a sausage. It matches the pictures they showed you and it fits in your mouth.

You're the one adding baggage that isn't anything. 

8 hours ago, RentedTritium said:

I've worked on many enterprise software products and video games back in the late '90s and early '00s; development is difficult and time consuming - I agree.

What liquides me off is the lack of communication by Flying Tiger Entertainment (KSP console port studio). SQUAD is doing their best to keep the quality of releases up, but, again, communication is key.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Welcome to modern day western civilization. I stop here.

No no no ... this is no attack! But just as much my comment doesn't help, let's all create a private talk for these kind of things. This is the wrong topic.

12 hours ago, steve_v said:

Yeah, I have a very similar suspicion, but didn't want to imply that the devs don't know how to fix it without hearing some official word. Then again, since there's been no word at all...
Lets hope Squad has some decent documentation on all these core systems now that the architects have moved on.

I'm with you that I don't want to imply the devs are not up to the task. I don't believe that is the case. I just mean that it's reasonable to believe it will take some significant time to understand systems they've never looked at before enough to be able to troubleshoot and fix bugs within those systems. We know that major sections of code underwent a cleanup/optimization/documentation pass during the build of 1.2. It's likely that the departed devs worked on the PQS system in that process, so I share your hope that decent documentation exists.

9 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Turns out you should try to hold on to your best talent until the project is actually finished.

I totally agree with this line of thinking, but there's no way to know for sure why people have gone separate ways. Squad may have ended employment or contracts, but it's just as likely that a better opportunity or personal reasons pulled the most experienced devs away. So you should try to hold onto talent, but sometimes you just aren't able to do so.

8 hours ago, RentedTritium said:

As is the company developing this game we all love so much, from the top all the way down. I believe we've been introduced to only one new hire who has prior experience working on video games. This is in no way a criticism of the devs or their abilities; it's just an observation of the state of things. Squad in it's current state hasn't had the opportunity to show off it's capability. It's only my opinion, but I feel the current staff have a lot to prove given what's already been accomplished. I don't mean this in a bad way; I truly hope that they're even more capable then what we've seen before, but only time will tell.

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Can I install this without uninstalling my entire game? I got it from the KSP website, and I really really do not want to have to uninstall and reinstall it again.

If you are on Windows you can use one of the patches from the download area in the store to apply an update without a complete reinstall.

Working just fine on my computer, all my mods seem to be A-OK :)

And having the custom action for collecting science fixed was a major boon. I hope they fix the terrain seams soon, I'd never been a rover guy before but some mod combinations I started using have offered me incentives...