[1.12.x] JX2Antenna v2.0.5: Giant 1000G antenna for big solar systems

Snark

@Snark, later today the next version of GEP will be released.  Unless you're able to update JX2 Antenna as requested, I'm going to have to list JX2 as a "known issue" and recommend it not be used in combination with GEP_CommNet.

6 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@Snark, later today the next version of GEP will be released.  Unless you're able to update JX2 Antenna as requested, I'm going to have to list JX2 as a "known issue" and recommend it not be used in combination with GEP_CommNet.

Thanks for the patience!  Apologies for the delay in updating, I've had a bit of a full plate lately and kinda lost track of this one.  ;)

I've now released version 2.0.5 of JX2Antenna, with the updated compatibility patch.  JX2Antenna should now play nice with GEP_CommNet.

• 3 months later...

@Snark Hi,

Found interesting conflict with RemoteTech-Antennas a standalone without RemoteTech. jx2_RemoteTech.cfg finds RemoteTech folder and executes -MODULE[ModuleDeployableAntenna] {}. After this all your 3 antennas do not work. Tryed to to play with config myself but im still kinda noob on ModuleManager :)

Will post if will find any fixes myself

1 hour ago, banditsan said:

@Snark Hi,

Found interesting conflict with RemoteTech-Antennas a standalone without RemoteTech. jx2_RemoteTech.cfg finds RemoteTech folder and executes -MODULE[ModuleDeployableAntenna] {}. After this all your 3 antennas do not work. Tryed to to play with config myself but im still kinda noob on ModuleManager :)

That's because some one wrote the  cfg for remotetech that's in this mod wrong its deleting -MODULE[ModuleDeployableAntenna] {} and it shouldn't let me see if I can rewrite one for you to test

4 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

That's because some one wrote the  cfg for remotetech that's in this mod wrong its deleting -MODULE[ModuleDeployableAntenna] {} and it shouldn't let me see if I can rewrite one for you to test

I know what it is doing :) My problem is that i don't know modulemanager that good to fix it my self. ATM i just removed this patch as i do not have remotetech anyway

// Compatibility with the RemoteTech mod.

@PART[jx2LDA]:AFTER[RemoteTech] {
	// RemoteTech antennas use ModuleAnimateGeneric, so need
	// to use that instead of ModuleDeployableAntenna.

!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}
	@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
	{
		%allowManualControl = false
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
		animationName = deployHexes
		allowManualControl = false
		isOneShot = false

startEventGUIName = Extend
		endEventGUIName = Retract
		actionGUIName = Toggle Antenna
	}

// This is what makes it work with RemoteTech.
	%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
		%Mode0DishRange = 0
		%Mode1DishRange = 1000000000000
		%EnergyCost = 5
		%MaxQ = 6000
		%DishAngle = 0.002

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

@PART[jw1MDA|ju1MDA]:AFTER[RemoteTech] {

{
	}
	MODULE
	{
		isOneShot = false

}

%Mode0DishRange = 0
		%Mode1DishRange = 300000000000
		%EnergyCost = 3
		%MaxQ = 6000
		%DishAngle = 0.006

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 18.0
		}
	}

}

// AntennaSleep adds a ModuleDeployableSleep to every part that has
// a ModuleDeployableAntenna on it. Since we've just removed the
// ModuleDeployableAntenna, the ModuleDeployableSleep won't work right,
// so we need to remove that if it's there.
@PART[jx2LDA|jw1MDA|ju1MDA]:AFTER[AntennaSleep]:NEEDS[RemoteTech] {
	-MODULE[ModuleDeployableSleep] {}
}
}

2 hours ago, banditsan said:

@Snark Hi,

My bad your not even using remotech just delete or zip up the patch in KSP/GameData/JX2Antenna/Patches       ( look for jx2_RemoteTech.cfg )

16 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

My bad your not even using remotech just delete or zip up the patch in KSP/GameData/JX2Antenna/Patches       ( look for jx2_RemoteTech.cfg )

Not a problem already fixed on my end :) Info you posted might be usefull for others or mod owner. Now gonna continue debug my KSP install to hunt other gremlins spaming log :)

On 9/8/2018 at 10:42 PM, banditsan said:

Hmm, interesting.  Hadn't been aware of that mod, myself.

I took a look, and it appears that the basic problem is that the author of RemoteTech-Antennas did a major no-no in how the mod is set up.  It's a RemoteTech-Antennas bug, not a JX2Antenna bug, and there's nothing that can be done in JX2Antenna to fix this.

Technical details in spoiler:

Spoiler

Here's the problem:

Normally, every mod gets its own unique folder name in GameData.  For example, JX2Antenna gets installed into GameData/JX2Antenna, and RemoteTech gets installed into GameData/RemoteTech, and so forth.

The problem here is that the author of RemoteTech-Antennas broke that rule.  What it should do is have its own folder with its own name, i.e. GameData/RemoteTechAntennas or whatever.  Instead, what it's actually doing is using GameData/RemoteTech, i.e. the same name that RemoteTech is using.

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it completely lobotomizes ModuleManager patches.  Those patches come with "conditional" syntax to control when they're applied.  For example, the JX2Antenna patch for RemoteTech compatibility does stuff that's necessary with RemoteTech, but bad without it (would break things).  Thus, the JX2Antenna compatibility patch for RemoteTech has a conditional statement in it, so that the patch only applies when RemoteTech is installed.

However... guess what?  Since RemoteTech-Antennas (wrongly) uses "RemoteTech" as its folder name, that fools ModuleManager into thinking RemoteTech is installed, even if it isn't.  And everything gets all messed up.

The way to fix this problem is for RemoteTech-Antennas to fix its install so that it doesn't use the same installation folder path as RemoteTech itself.  As long as it's using the same folder name, it's going to screw up all RemoteTech compatibility patches, including JX2Antenna.

10 minutes ago, Snark said:

Hmm, interesting.  Hadn't been aware of that mod, myself.

I took a look, and it appears that the basic problem is that the author of RemoteTech-Antennas did a major no-no in how the mod is set up.  It's a RemoteTech-Antennas bug, not a JX2Antenna bug, and there's nothing that can be done in JX2Antenna to fix this.

Technical details in spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Here's the problem:

Normally, every mod gets its own unique folder name in GameData.  For example, JX2Antenna gets installed into GameData/JX2Antenna, and RemoteTech gets installed into GameData/RemoteTech, and so forth.

The problem here is that the author of RemoteTech-Antennas broke that rule.  What it should do is have its own folder with its own name, i.e. GameData/RemoteTechAntennas or whatever.  Instead, what it's actually doing is using GameData/RemoteTech, i.e. the same name that RemoteTech is using.

Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because it completely lobotomizes ModuleManager patches.  Those patches come with "conditional" syntax to control when they're applied.  For example, the JX2Antenna patch for RemoteTech compatibility does stuff that's necessary with RemoteTech, but bad without it (would break things).  Thus, the JX2Antenna compatibility patch for RemoteTech has a conditional statement in it, so that the patch only applies when RemoteTech is installed.

However... guess what?  Since RemoteTech-Antennas (wrongly) uses "RemoteTech" as its folder name, that fools ModuleManager into thinking RemoteTech is installed, even if it isn't.  And everything gets all messed up.

The way to fix this problem is for RemoteTech-Antennas to fix its install so that it doesn't use the same installation folder path as RemoteTech itself.  As long as it's using the same folder name, it's going to screw up all RemoteTech compatibility patches, including JX2Antenna.

Your RemoteTech patch is wrong it looks like remotetech never deleted -MODULE[ModuleDeployableAntenna] {} it should have been more like what I posted 

// Compatibility with the RemoteTech mod.

@PART[jx2LDA]:AFTER[RemoteTech] {

{
	}
	MODULE
	{
		isOneShot = false

}

%Mode0DishRange = 0
		%Mode1DishRange = 1000000000000
		%EnergyCost = 5
		%MaxQ = 6000
		%DishAngle = 0.002

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}

}

@PART[jw1MDA|ju1MDA]:AFTER[RemoteTech] {

{
	}
	MODULE
	{
		isOneShot = false

}

%Mode0DishRange = 0
		%Mode1DishRange = 300000000000
		%EnergyCost = 3
		%MaxQ = 6000
		%DishAngle = 0.006

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 18.0
		}
	}

}

// AntennaSleep adds a ModuleDeployableSleep to every part that has
// a ModuleDeployableAntenna on it. Since we've just removed the
// ModuleDeployableAntenna, the ModuleDeployableSleep won't work right,
// so we need to remove that if it's there.
@PART[jx2LDA|jw1MDA|ju1MDA]:AFTER[AntennaSleep]:NEEDS[RemoteTech] {
	-MODULE[ModuleDeployableSleep] {}
}
}

but you are very right on how the RemoteTech/RemoteTech-Antenna   mod was setup

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I missed something but what would the fix be for the problem above? I ran into this exact issue and was coming here to see if there was a fix. I currently have ships that cant phone home because the dishes wont deploy, but I cant simply delete the other mod because I have manned missions with those dishes as well.

4 hours ago, vmatt1203 said:

Sorry if I missed something but what would the fix be for the problem above? I ran into this exact issue and was coming here to see if there was a fix. I currently have ships that cant phone home because the dishes wont deploy, but I cant simply delete the other mod because I have manned missions with those dishes as well.

You using the RemoteTech-Antenna mod but not remotetech just delete the remotetech patch in this mod

EDIT- Or you could try in the download for RemoteTech-Antenna  when unzip you have gamedata fold open it you have RemoteTech fold open it then you see a folder RemoteTech-Antennas put that one in your KSP/Gamedata   folder

Edited by Mecripp

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Heya, I'm gonna resurrect this thread by whining about a bug: the antennas seem to do their thing even when they're not extended. Not sure if somebody mentioned that already or it has been fixed in the newer versions. Thought I'd just let you know. :)

I love the mod though, the animations and modelling on this are superb!

19 hours ago, Aelipse said:

Heya, I'm gonna resurrect this thread by whining about a bug: the antennas seem to do their thing even when they're not extended. Not sure if somebody mentioned that already or it has been fixed in the newer versions. Thought I'd just let you know. :)

I love the mod though, the animations and modelling on this are superb!

Pretty sure that this is a stock thing. So even the stock deployable antennas still work when not deployed.

23 hours ago, steedcrugeon said:

Pretty sure that this is a stock thing. So even the stock deployable antennas still work when not deployed.

They do not. The craft is uncontrollable unless you extend your antennas, which is the only thing you can do without signal. Tested thoroughly.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:32 PM, Aelipse said:

They do not. The craft is uncontrollable unless you extend your antennas, which is the only thing you can do without signal. Tested thoroughly.

With "Require signal for control" enabled you can't even extend the antenna without a signal. Jeb's been on more antenna-extending-EVAs than he can count!

• 3 months later...

These are more brutal on frame rates when stowed in atmo than any other three-digit part count contraption I've ever made. The game seems to simulate full aero effects even when they are stowed and in a fairing. This is arguably an extreme edge case as long distance antennas are only in atmo an infinitesimal percentage of total mission time, but JX2 launches are the only slideshow I find myself dealing with since autostruts and multicore.

18 hours ago, ExtremeSquared said:

These are more brutal on frame rates when stowed in atmo than any other three-digit part count contraption I've ever made. The game seems to simulate full aero effects even when they are stowed and in a fairing.

Yep. The aero f/x appears to trigger on pretty much every subcomponent of the model. It's been like that from square one.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:33 PM, Aelipse said:

the antennas seem to do their thing even when they're not extended.

I confirm this.
@Snark In the configs,  ModuleDataTransmitter is missing the DeployFxModules value that link it to the ModuleDeployableAntenna state, where DeployFxModules is the zero based index of the ModuleDeployableAntenna.
Submitted a pull request to fix it : https://github.com/KSPSnark/JX2Antenna/pull/2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.