So... KSP dead?

Vegatoxi

2 hours ago, Vegatoxi said:

In 2013, when i first meet KSP, it was something really new and unusual. I played almost 600 hours between 0.23 and 1.0 and it was really fun. I read DevNotes every week in anticipation of new cool stuff. But then hit a black line between 1.0 and 1.1 - lack of updates, lack of mods ( a lot of my favorite mods was abandoned) DevNotes become boring. Hype is ended, literally. Then 1.1 was released and broke everything, first of all - legacy shaders was removed and i couldn't play. Then BD armory and a lot of relative mods was abandoned. Then i heard that a lot of SQUAD team was leave. And what we have now? Almost no new info about future of KSP. A lot of mods abandoned because of KSP stagnation. No roadmap. And etc.

So if compare 2013 with now... seems KSP is dead, or at least at death's door.

We just had a major update and two smaller ones since. Development clearly continues, as is mod devlopment and maintenance. The user base has grown significantly and the game has been made available on consoles (the quality of the ports is a matter dor another discussion). Doesn't look too dead to me...

I've spent too much time with KSP so my opinion is extremely biased but I also feel that the magic of the game and community has significantly decreased over the years. I'd compare it to motorsport: While the rules and machines are incomparably more refined today, the era of wonders has already passed. I especially miss those mad scientists like K^2 or Kasuha who dominated the forums back then.

But like I said, that's 80% nostalgia talking and 15% the damn lack of ALG and FAR right now. (j/k, take your time guys)

Edited by theend3r

A game's liveliness is much more tied to it's player community than the devs IMHO. Devs can keep pumping out updates, but if nobody is playing it's not very alive. On the other hand, if devs space out their updates, modders are more likely to put in real effort because they know that the game's codebase is more stable.

From that point of view I'd say that KSP is more alive now than it has ever been in my playing experience. 1.2.x is a huge improvement, modders are pumping out really high-quality mods and the online discussion is very dynamic, helpful and (mostly) optimistic about the future.

Edited by Tyko

KSP died with version 0.14, when they turned it into a money grab by charging for it.

KSP died with version 0.15, when they decided to focus on planes, instead of space.

KSP died with version 0.16, when they added EVA.

KSP died with version 0.17, when they added other planets.

KSP died with version 0.18, when they killed off any mods for docking.

KSP died with version 0.19, when they... umm...  Well, I can't think of anything, but I'm sure whatever they did ruined the game.

And so on, and on, and on and on.

KSP has been consantly getting one day closer to its death every day.

Uh, how is this dead:

http://www5a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP36920e6bai2c3gc6h9700003fb62f8f4763h2bg?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=47&w=576.&h=209.&cdf=Coordinates&cdf=Tooltips

210,000 visitors/day. Same as it was a year ago.

And 64% of those are forum visits

0.00006% of the internet = dead?

"I believe in life after death. Everyone else will keep on living after you die." - unattributed.

Edited by Pds314

21 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

I would actually prefer if KSP "died" in terms of main game development, so that there can be a final stable build so that mods can take over/never get outdated

No how could you say that?!
What will force you to start a new career then, if not for the new updates the get released the moment your Laythe colony ship departs from Kerbin?:P

11 hours ago, razark said:

KSP died with version 0.19, when they... umm...  Well, I can't think of anything, but I'm sure whatever they did ruined the game.

They incremented the version number by +1

That pretty much ruined the game as far as everyone was concerned.

16 hours ago, theend3r said:

I've spent too much time with KSP so my opinion is extremely biased but I also feel that the magic of the game and community has significantly decreased over the years. I'd compare it to motorsport: While the rules and machines are incomparably more refined today, the era of wonders has already passed. I especially miss those mad scientists like K^2 or Kasuha who dominated the forums back then.

Yeah, since death of Ayrton Senna and end of Alan Prost's career, Formula 1 magic has significantly decreased...

Doesn't mean Formula 1 is going to end anytime soon.

5 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

i find it funny how people thinks KSP's gonna die when a massive update just came out recently

Holy Kerbol, mother of Jool. Why in the name of everything that is green are you linking to that thread?
That's the release thread for 1.2. Since then there have been two more releases. Most notably 1.2.2 freaking YESTERDAY!

Edited by Tex_NL

5 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

No how could you say that?!
What will force you to start a new career then, if not for the new updates the get released the moment your Laythe colony ship departs from Kerbin?:P

Nothing has forced me to start new career since my very first one in 1.0, which I am playing still now on 1.2.1. 

Though my mod list is so short (and they don't really affect gameplay, I mean in terms of parts and physics it's still 99.99% stock) I doubt it could stop me anytime soon. And nothing has been broken except save system that doesn't show any quicksaves.

Yay, new KSP vesion, one more kerbal returning to the flock.

20 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

If I dug a grave every time someone told me KSP was dead or dying I'd be near the Earth's core by now.

Oooow, let the layman try to apply everything he learned here during all those years around here. Google gives approximately 84 100 matches for the keywords "KSP" and "dying". If I assume that a proper grave is two meters deep, that would result in a 168.2 kilometers deep pit. I have to add that digging 84 100 on the very same spot doesn't seem like ideal distribution to me, but limited real-estate ownership can very well justify doing so.

So 168.2 km below us is the mantle. So if we don't split hairs by considering terms such as "upper core" and "lower mantle" anything else than semantics, we are already right next to the core. Ten times more so if we rather did the digging on Kerbin.

Ahh, it's good to be back. :)

10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

The first time KSP was declared dead was before most of you here had even heard of it. 

Was it in the orbiter fora, before any public release of KSP?  Somebody must have declared it dead, especially when Harverster was musing about a 2d orbiter.

20 hours ago, razark said:

KSP died with version 0.14, when they turned it into a money grab by charging for it.
KSP died with version 0.15, when they decided to focus on planes, instead of space.
KSP died with version 0.16, when they added EVA.
KSP died with version 0.17, when they added other planets.
KSP died with version 0.18, when they killed off any mods for docking.

I'm amazed at the lack of ragequit posts.  I think I saw a few when the aero model changed enough that  all our old rockets started flipping, but even that was small.  Any other companies looking for "early access" should think of this and wonder if they can do the same.  Maybe there were more back in this time (I was a bit later), but I doubt it.

9 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Holy Kerbol, mother of Jool. Why in the name of everything that is green are you linking to that thread?
That's the release thread for 1.2. Since then there have been two more releases. Most notably 1.2.2 freaking YESTERDAY!

1.2.2 wasn't as big of an update as 1.2. (hey it only did some bug fixes) 1.2 made many mods incompatible as 1.2.2 didnt even do anything to most mods. so i guess 1.2 is much more important than 1.2.2 :D

On 12/7/2016 at 9:53 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

If I dug a grave every time someone told me KSP was dead or dying I'd be near the Earth's core by now.

You'd harvest all the bodies in the Solar System!

Anyway, back to the point. I don't know about the "dying" part. We did get a more stable game with better updates that come out much more frequently (true that), like, I don't know if it's appropriate to call this game a complete release with the frequency of updates it currently has. Not necessarily a bad thing, in fact I like constant improvements. On the other side, OP seems to be correct about player base decreasing (where are whackjob, romfarer, and all the other previously famous guys?) It's also quite concerning how we suddenly had the whole original development team leave (and completely disappear from the forums) over the course of two months, starting with Felipe himself. And yes, numerous mods are getting ditched. Take Romfarer's mods, FASA, Skillful weaponry systems, Kerbal Foundries, R7 boat parts, and a lot of other favourite mods. I think that this is due to a loss of hype over 1.0, what with everyone complaining about bugs and glitches (also Fengist, who seemed to be particularly angry at SQUAD for fixing water physics). The known KSP community population may rise within the next few months because of increases in game stability.

11 hours ago, Evanitis said:

Yay, new KSP vesion, one more kerbal returning to the flock.

Oooow, let the layman try to apply everything he learned here during all those years around here. Google gives approximately 84 100 matches for the keywords "KSP" and "dying". If I assume that a proper grave is two meters deep, that would result in a 168.2 kilometers deep pit. I have to add that digging 84 100 on the very same spot doesn't seem like ideal distribution to me, but limited real-estate ownership can very well justify doing so.

So 168.2 km below us is the mantle. So if we don't split hairs by considering terms such as "upper core" and "lower mantle" anything else than semantics, we are already right next to the core. Ten times more so if we rather did the digging on Kerbin.

Ahh, it's good to be back. :)

So as you said, assuming that a general grave is 2 meters deep .......

Well all I have to say is that when @Red Iron Crown buries someone, he buries 'em good ... standard grave dimensions do not apply :wink:

I actually wouldn't mind if it died at this stage, so I could mod it and keep it that way for more than two months (or whenever a new version comes out). That would mean the career would be forever crap and have 0% chance of getting fixed (right now it's about ~5%), but I've found a way around that.