So... KSP dead?

Vegatoxi

19 minutes ago, Daripuff said:

I mean,  heck,  to cease to be updated means nothing at all.  That point in a game's development is what used to be referred to as "launch". 

Right? I come from a time when "Active Development" wasn't even a thing.

All it shows when the Devs are going slower is that their taking their time and making an awesome, mostly bug-free update, which is a far sight better that what they used to do. Their diverting more time to Q&A to give us the best quality we can expect.

50 minutes ago, monstah said:

Right? I come from a time when "Active Development" wasn't even a thing.

I'm pretty sure the Civ 2 game I pointed out that had active comments in its forum didn't have "active development" after it shipped (in 1996).  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the hottest game of its year shipped on ROM (try updating that).  Even if it wasn't, it was certainly on CD/DVD and updating it would have been nearly as difficult (no internet connections on consoles in those days, nor hard drives).

[Oddly enough, a bit before that I was sent a bios update for my graphics card.  It was a chip [PROM] in the mail.  Apparently the upgraded RAMDAC (bought retail) didn't work with my old bios.  That must have been pretty rare.]

About as dead as this thread amitrite! :D

But seriously, I do look forward to the day when development reaches a sensible end point, or that development continues only in additional content rather than code updates.

Continuous updates keeps mods at bay, it wont be too long before mods start disappearing off the list.

On 12/12/2016 at 0:44 AM, Kerbart said:

did we even have weekly devnotes back in 2013?

Based on this post by me, we had devnotes on Tuesdays regularly in the span before October 31st 2013, when the Daily Kerbal stuff started. They don't seem to have been on the forums proper. I think they were in the "blog" section which is something I'm happy didn't transfer over from the old forums to the new.

To me the ksp selling point has always been the players imagination. Like Legos you get a few basic brikes to make your imagination "tangible". However ksp never actually delivered, the tools were never enough, and never worked as intended, but for a long time, with new stuff and mechanics in every update, seemed to be heading in direction where it could. That has now ended, at least for me. Dead, maybe not. Definitely in a different stage though, and not one that keeps me playing. 

On 12.12.2016 at 8:59 PM, KAL 9000 said:

I've been here since 0.17, and joined the forums in the 0.90 days. KSP has never been dead. KSP is not, and will not be for quite some time, dead. 

Well... assuming that KSP was never alive - i can agree with it.

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2016 at 11:51 AM, Gaarst said:

I don't see how having 15 FPS can prevent you from playing.

Try building a space station or launching a rocket or going to Laythe when your processor lags when 140 parts are in it, heck i can barely do 90 before it gets to about 17 fps. And I still haven't gotten 64 bit because until about 2 weeks ago, i didn't know i had a 64 bit processor in my little Compaq dc7700 hackintosh.

Now to if KSP is dead.

this is a low point, i will admit, but similar events have happened since the game's creation (heck in my time playing 0.22 in 2014 to now, that happened about 2 times (maybe more)). Every time SQUAD has hit an obstacle, they persevered and overcame it. Plus, half of us will probably be mentioning KSP when we are 90 and can barely touch a computer (at least I will, KSP reignited my love for science and space, and maybe also gave me a boost in Math :p).

On 12/13/2016 at 3:57 AM, p1t1o said:

About as dead as this thread amitrite! :D

But seriously, I do look forward to the day when development reaches a sensible end point, or that development continues only in additional content rather than code updates.

Continuous updates keeps mods at bay, it wont be too long before mods start disappearing off the list.

Reminisces when there were more than one weapons mods (any of y'all remember Pirated Weaponry, Enterelysium's Sparrow missile, or AKS Weapons?)

Indeed.  And while some games do indeed see less reason for updates after release (they may already have most of their sales after a while), KSP actually has all the more reason to try and keep itself updating.  It will be getting itself onto consoles soon. 

KSP is dead, without a doubt.  Dead as Francisco Franco is so recently reported to be.

Hell, Squad just posted an update about the contents of the upcoming release.  What better sign of a dying product can you think of?

Diacovering mods last year was a game-changer for me (no pun intended. Or perhaps yes). The game enjoyability was multiplied by 100 fold, so today I use a very heavily modded KSP. So everytime a new version comes out, it messes up my build. It takes a lot of time for the mods to catch up, and some never do.

This leaves me thinking: is a continuous stream of game versions necessarily a good thing? Can't we just reach a definitive, stable and good enough version of the game and let it sit in, allowing modders to do the rest?

8 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

This leaves me thinking: is a continuous stream of game versions necessarily a good thing? Can't we just reach a definitive, stable and good enough version of the game and let it sit in, allowing modders to do the rest?

First of all, best of luck finding consensus about what is 'a definitive, stable and good enough version of the game'. Secondly, game version updates are definitely a good thing. I'm glad you're having fun with your modded game but not all players have the time, the inclination or the ability (hello console players) to mod their games.

4 hours ago, KSK said:

First of all, best of luck finding consensus about what is 'a definitive, stable and good enough version of the game'. Secondly, game version updates are definitely a good thing. I'm glad you're having fun with your modded game but not all players have the time, the inclination or the ability (hello console players) to mod their games.

Chill :P ! Not trying to find consensus or, for that matter, giving an oppinion supposed to be definitive or all-encompassing. Just trying to give another view to the matter, shared, I am sure, by many. If anything the perfect way is probably the middle path: always improving, without a version-race. 2016, in my perception, was awfull in that matter. I felt like every 2 or 3 months or so the game was different and all my savegames were lost. Somewhere there must be some equilibrium.

Well, this is what happened to me:

1. I played the game stock

2 I installed bda

3. Fell down the slippery slope of mods and installed 20 more

4. Still playing. Get bored, add a mod.

I've just come back after a forced hiatus:  I was able to hire Kerbals to crew my rockets--as long as I can do that KSP is alive and well.  When Kerbals can no longer be recruited well than I'll believe one of these frequently occurring "KSP is dead" threads.

It's funny how people now expect a game to be continuously updated for several years after release at no charge to the consumer. I paid 43.99 CDN for this a couple years ago (after formal release), and have about 10 games worth of content available -  complete conversion planet packs like GPP and New Horizons and mods like Realism Overhaul would each have been a full expansion if not a sequel 15 years ago. I got them for free.