So... KSP dead?

Vegatoxi

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I refer you to some of the mods that I maintain.

Since we've been playing this game... Define "some". I mean, seriously. You could probably keep this game alive all by yourself if all the devs up and vanished.

21 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

I'm not so sure KSP is "dead," (Yet) but I think adding DLC is one step towards it's slow demise. 

They've been continuously updating KSP for how many years?  It's far, far too late to DLC it apart like a thanksgiving turkey and they know it.

The word you're looking for is "expansion pack".  It might be good or might suck.  How well it sells will determine the future of the game.

4 hours ago, monstah said:

Since we've been playing this game... Define "some". I mean, seriously. You could probably keep this game alive all by yourself if all the devs up and vanished.

[1.4] Kerbal Space Program Reprogrammed - Updated 1/17

By linuxgurugamer, January 17 in Kerbal Network

1 hour ago, IO Plays said:

http://steamcharts.com/app/220200

Not really dead, currently about 4k people playing it, thats quite a lot for a single player game, ksp is not dead, just.... sick? :P

Considering that KSP is a niche game and 6 years old, 4K is pretty good.. also if you are pulling those numbers from steam, those numbers are misleading. Many players do not launch the game through steam.

11 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

So, we have a clear criterion of KSP death.
We must protect James Kerman as long as we can - to keep KSP safe. Better in a well protected bunker, passing him the food through a small window.

No, we only need to protect his hands. Hook them up to a machine that keeps them in a perpetual state of semi-life and KSP will never die.

5 hours ago, Galileo said:

Considering that KSP is a niche game and 6 years old, 4K is pretty good.. also if you are pulling those numbers from steam, those numbers are misleading. Many players do not launch the game through steam.

Good point! A common suggestion is that mod-users run from a non-Steam copy of the KSP folder so updates don't ruin mod-dependent games. All those who follow that advice will, therefore, not appear on the stats.

Also, let us not forget all those who run games downloaded from the KSP store - they will never appear in the Steam stats.

6 hours ago, Galileo said:

True, even I don't launch through steam :P

22 hours ago, NSEP said:

No not this again.

If people still play the game ans discuss it, its not dead, long from dead. 1.3.1 was released a few weeks ago, is thatnkt recent enough? They aren't dead, just busy.

1.3.1 is only about localizations.

Localization is not gameplay thing.

1 hour ago, Vegatoxi said:

1.3.1 is only about localizations.

Localization is not gameplay thing.

No, but it made the game more accessible to non English speakers around the world. That’s a huge update and a big undertaking for Squad. A dead game would have left KSP where it was, but since your mind is already made up about how dead KSP is, it doesn’t count I suppose.

So let’s clarify: KSP is dead to you because the updates don’t meet your expectations and standards, so they don’t count/didn’t happen. 

Edited by Galileo

Dead? Doom hasn't received an official update since 1995 yet still isn't dead- there are mods, source ports, speedruns, multiplayer servers etc to this day.

For a quarter-century-old game.

Sheesh, this topic popping up four times a year was one of the reasons y'all haven't seen me around here in a while. Things haven't changed much.

Edited by moogoob
sp

I think I know where the OP is coming from.

Either new destinations (not really any since what, 0.18?) or new toys to play with in the VAB and beyond.  Tho stuff was added (some very nice) in the versions, not much in terms of larger Nerva/Ion for example, or almost no rover parts and so on.
KSP is not dead, but installing mods one may wants is highly required and it makes one hell of a difference.

Counterpoint: KSP is an inanimate object and thusly was never alive in the first place.

Unless you mean alive in our hearts and minds, in which case it seems to be doing alright if 3+ pages of people telling you KSP is not dead is any indication.

Oh, and if you mean alive in the sense that the developers are still working on it then yeah, it seems to be that too. Whether they're working on things you're interested in or not doesn't change that fact that work is being done. And honestly, if at this point in the game's development you expect major feature updates on the base game to be delivered for free, well, it sounds like you're dissapointed already so there's not much change in your future.

Maybe you could try repeating the KSP Feature Wishlist Mantra:

"There's a mod for that."

Edited by Mako

On 11/22/2017 at 1:25 PM, razark said:

KSP died with version 0.14, when they turned it into a money grab by charging for it.

KSP died with version 0.15, when they decided to focus on planes, instead of space.

KSP died with version 0.16, when they added EVA.

KSP died with version 0.17, when they added other planets.

KSP died with version 0.18, when they killed off any mods for docking.

KSP died with version 0.19, when they... umm...  Well, I can't think of anything, but I'm sure whatever they did ruined the game.

And so on, and on, and on and on.

KSP has been constantly getting one day closer to its death every day.

0.14 no it did not die when they wanted money for a game because that allows them to add more features. Not everything that costs money is because they are money-hungry

0.15 Did not kill KSP because variety is good. Just because they added planes doesn't mean that it impedes the spacecraft

0.16 didnt kill KSP because they added EVA. EVA Is and was a good thing

0.17 Did not kill KSP because more exploration is good

0.18 Did not kill KSP because they added docking. (This is where i'm starting to think you're joking but I'm gonna continue just in case)

0.19 ???

there we go, im having suspicouns you are joking but just in case you arent i'm gonna post anyways

Edited by Mr. Quark

1 hour ago, Mr. Quark said:

0.14 no it did not die when they wanted money for a game because that allows them to add more features. Not everything that costs money is because they are money-hungry

0.15 Did not kill KSP because variety is good. Just because they added planes doesn't mean that it impedes the spacecraft

0.16 didnt kill KSP because they added EVA. EVA Is and was a good thing

0.17 Did not kill KSP because more exploration is good

0.18 Did not kill KSP because they added docking. (This is where i'm starting to think you're joking but I'm gonna continue just in case)

0.19 ???

there we go, im having suspicouns you are joking but just in case you arent i'm gonna post anyways

I think he parodied a famous post about Minecraft about all the times it was "ruined FOREVER" (which was alreay parodic, too, among the reasons were "Minecraft's developement starts" and "Minecraft gets released")

4 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

I think he parodied a famous post about Minecraft...

No, he didn't.  He was not aware of any such thing.

He was just responding to the many times KSP has prematurely been declared dead.

1 hour ago, 55delta said:

Question: Since KSP isn't an online game, with servers to shut down, can it actually die?

KSP can die, just way slower that a server shutdown. And with 'slower' i mean several decades and not a few miliseconds.

KSP or litterly any video game can be seen as a person. Right now, KSP can't give you your cake because he is too busy decorating it, so it will take some time. His heart is still beating and people are still talking about his bakery skills, he is alive and active.

Edited by NSEP