So... KSP dead?

Vegatoxi

Since i start playing KSP it was one of my favourite game exp.

But time's change. And now it's bring only disappointment.

For the whole year almost no feedback about development. Still no roadmap. Devnotes is abandoned. No gameplay patches (not count language pack as gameplay thing)

And what devs usually do at Happy Holidays? Right! They make announcements for the next year. Look at PUBG. It's less than a year old. Grows from 0 to 3kk online and moving on every day. And what the SQUAD did? Nothing! Not even a word about future of KSP.

What a waste...

So SQUAD recieves their well-deserved award "Waste of the Year - 2017"

Edited by Vegatoxi

I can almost guarantee you where it's going: KSP 2.

They're not updating this one because they're building the next one.

Trust me, Take Two didn't buy KSP to let it slowly die, or to update a first generation game while constantly appealing to a smaller and smaller player base. I'd be surprised if they're not building it right now.

@Vegatoxi

I take it that you are still unaware of The Daily Kerbal section of the forum. There you will find updates on what Squad is working on, called KSP Weekly, posted once a week on Fridays. Theyre the new version of the weekly Devnotes. It's a far cry from a roadmap, but it's also a far cry from:

3 hours ago, Vegatoxi said:

For the whole year almost no feedback about development. 

And what the SQUAD did? Nothing! Not even a word about future of KSP.

So, unless you're just poorly attempting to troll, you can't continue to say there is no information and no work being done. You can claim there is no information that you've read yet, but you only have yourself to blame for that. You can also claim they haven't released anything since the 1.3.1 update, but since their work on 1.4 isn't done yet I think it's understandable why they haven't released anything.

To be fair, it's not immediately apparent from just casually browsing the forums that the information is in KSP Weeklys located in The Daily Kerbal section, but it has been this way for a long time. If you haven't looked there in a year then you have a lot of Weeklys to catch up on.

In fact, here's this week's Weekly posted about 5 hours ago to get you started.

Happy Reading!

Edited by Mako
Added link to this week's Weekly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2018 at 8:46 PM, RocketBlam said:

Trust me, Take Two didn't buy KSP to let it slowly die, or to update a first generation game while constantly appealing to a smaller and smaller player base. I'd be surprised if they're not building it right now.

I'd at least assume they will finally get around to releasing the "making history" DLC, that appears to be much closer to a mod than a full game, and if that is profitable I'd expect them to try to milk as much DLC as possible.  I'd expect KSP2 to ditch unity (especially for physics) and increase more microtransactions.  While I'll agree that take2 will at least begin development of "KSP 2" (at least after KSP DLC appears unprofitable), I'm less convinced on its commercial success or even release (although the greed of being able to more easily shut out mods from competing with the DLC will certainly help drive the development, the same drive would hurt the uptake needed for success).

KSP isn't dying anytime soon.  Games with DRM can die when the publisher pulls the plug, games without DRM and a modding community simply don't die.  Google civ forums for activity on Civilization II, a 20 year old game with 4 sequels (which are mostly preferred to civ 2).  One huge advantage KSP has in any similar "immortality contests" is that KSP is in a basically unique genre: it only "competes" with Orbital (KSP was invisioned as "simple orbital") and "simple rockets" (presumably a "simple KSP" to KSP's "simple orbital"), so I suppose KSP2 would only have to compete with 3 programs (and having the most difficulty with the established base of KSP).  I also can't imagine Take 2 making the same decisions Squad and Harvester did to make the immortal KSP, and thus I expect KSP to easily outlive any KSP 2.

What would you want in KSP 2, anyway?  Maybe a kerbal airplane program like simple planes (prequels are popular)?  A colonization-specific game, building a kerbal colony on Duna (might be a mod, but a more sim-city like colony building game would want a different interface).  Or just "rewrite everything with a fancier engine".  That sounds more expensive than the original KSP, and most of your customers already own KSP: so Take 2 is expecting to spend more money than Squad did to make KSP2 *plus* whatever they already paid Squad for KSP.  Then they have to sell the game to owners of KSP + whatever players are interested in a rocket science game that for whatever reason didn't buy KSP.  This sounds like a difficult situation (whereas simply churning out more DLC for the unity-based game could easily be profitable).

5 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

A game's not dead while its name is still spoken.

And this thread lives on yet, and it speaks the name of KSP:

"So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
"So long lives this, and this gives life to thee."

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2018 at 2:46 AM, RocketBlam said:

Hmmmmmmm...

1 hour ago, fulgur said:

Dear Kraken,

Please stop these threads. They are made entirely of mulch.

Amen Akerb.

Agreed. Enough is enough.

Please do not necro post to a thread with zero content posts.  All that does is distract and confuse members from the topic being discussed.  Necro'ing is fine if you have something constructive to add, which I have not seen.  We already have a more current version of this thread that pertains to recent developments.   As such, this thread is now dead.