So... KSP dead?

Vegatoxi

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

Something that some peps don't seem to get about software dev; 1) if it takes 1 month to develop a feature from start to 80% complete, it will probably talk another month to take it from 80% to 90%.

The way I learnt to estimate my projects is that the first 90% of the work takes the first 90% of the time. The rest of the work takes the other 90% of the time.

Edited by stibbons

Back in my day, a game finishing it's development was the beginning of it's life, not it's death.

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

That’s freaking hilarious. My guess is he will be back next year to claim the same thing. 

What if it's secretly the most dedicated troll in troll history, planning a multi-year trolling of the non-trolls of KSP?

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

What if it's secretly the most dedicated troll in troll history, planning a multi-year trolling of the non-trolls of KSP?

Are we at this timepoint to eyewitness the birth of "The great trollinator" or "trollingator" maybe?:wink:

But to state i am "non-troll" will be a little complicated for me by sight... big+hairy...hmmm:D (And i impersonated one in some LARP's)

No, it's not dead and I've not abandoned the mods I am working on. It's going into finals and I simply don't have enough time between grading the projects of about 170 students, grading their exams, working on a book review for a publisher... and the rest of life.

46 minutes ago, razark said:

What?

They added graphics to it?!?

Seems like they did so for this Anniversary edition! The graphics seem to resemble the graphics used to illustrate the Guide speeches from the BBC TV series of H2G2.

Oh, and to stay On Topic, KSP is very much alive, and under active development!

1 hour ago, softweir said:

The graphics seem to resemble the graphics used to illustrate the Guide speeches from the BBC TV series of H2G2.

I need to pull out the discs and watch that again.  It's time to get the children addicted to it.

That game drove me crazy.  It took me years to figure out how to finish it.

No not this again.

If people still play the game ans discuss it, its not dead, long from dead. 1.3.1 was released a few weeks ago, is thatnkt recent enough? They aren't dead, just busy.

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

most of the development right now is going into the expansion pack.

To be fair, the expansion will require a base game update to provide integration support for the expansion. I believe there was a comment by a dev within one of the last three Weeklies that basically said 1.4 will be the base game update that provides the support. (If I've got that wrong I'm sure someone will rightfully call me out.) Therefore 1.4 must be getting a decent amount of dev time since it not only makes the expansion possible, it moves the game to a new version of Unity.

That being said, a lot of the details provided in the Weeklies have focused on the expansion and the work being done to its features and content. It's far more interesting than the base game integration work and the under the hood engine update (unless the engine update provides something to be excited about of which I'm not yet aware), so it makes sense that the focus of the Weeklies would be on the new content that's coming soon. It's just good to keep in mind that for those who are less interested in the expansion itself there is still work being done to the base game that should benefit everyone playing on PC.

(Edit: If I'm wrong about any of this it's clearly because KSP is dead and NOT because I made a mistake or misremembered something. Occam's Razor and all that.)

Edited by Mako

14 hours ago, razark said:

KSP died with version 0.14, when they turned it into a money grab by charging for it.

KSP died with version 0.15, when they decided to focus on planes, instead of space.

KSP died with version 0.16, when they added EVA.

KSP died with version 0.17, when they added other planets.

KSP died with version 0.18, when they killed off any mods for docking.

KSP died with version 0.19, when they... umm...  Well, I can't think of anything, but I'm sure whatever they did ruined the game.

So, KSP is not dead. It is undead.

17 hours ago, James Kerman said:

KSP will be dead when they pry it from my cold dead hands

So, we have a clear criterion of KSP death.
We must protect James Kerman as long as we can - to keep KSP safe. Better in a well protected bunker, passing him the food through a small window.

17 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Agreed. If by some stroke of luck I'm travelling to Mars 20 years from now, I'll have a copy (or five) of KSP with me.

The same about Ultimate Steve, too.

13 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Trillions of years from now, the universe will suffer heat death, and that will be that

Unlikely Unity could work so long. Though...

13 hours ago, KSK said:

KSP runs Beowulf cluster.

Just someone should write a kOS script emulating that Beowulf.
kRPC-powered emulator is acceptable, too.

12 hours ago, Just Jim said:

If KSP is dead, then why am I so anxiously awaiting this new Mission Builder thing???

A necromancer?

9 hours ago, cubinator said:

If KSP inspires someone to become one of the first Mars colonists, and they do something that affects the course of the rest of the colonization process, then KSP will live millions of years.

Before somebody founds the crash site of their asparagus lander.

P.S.
Dead games don't change. This is a profit, too.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

So, we have a clear criterion of KSP death.
We must protect James Kerman as long as we can - to keep KSP safe. Better in a well protected bunker, passing him the food through a small window.

I support this.  (So long as I don't have the kids in there with me)

Actually, right now, I'm more hyped about KSP than I've ever been.  The possibilities of the mission builder seem set to unleash a whole new form of KSP creativity.

Edited by James Kerman
Grammar

18 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

@monstah is really James Hetfield? Your secret's out, bud. Any chance you wanna do the soundtrack for the expansion?

Close, but no cookie. Do yourself a favor and drink from the source: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cc.aspx :wink: (there's plenty more there, tho not all is good - some are even incomplete fragments, and writings from the man's childhood, for crying out loud - but I can give you a solid list of good ones to read if you're interested)

And, for that matter, Metallica doesn't even quote it correctly (tho they intend to fit it into a song's metric, so I get it). Iron Maiden came closer, but then they use "Yet" instead of "And" (perhaps from some different edition of the tale? Both ones I have in print have "And", if I recall correctly).

Edit - Just for clarification, Lovecraft's writings are now public domain, so feel no shame reading them off some random website, it's not piracy. There had been some controversy some time ago whether the later publications (such as the one I linked) had had their copyrights renewed or not, but as of 2008 the point became moot, anyway. So, enjoy! :) 

Edited by monstah

22 hours ago, Vegatoxi said:

So. No major gameplay updates since...? I dont even remember.

No announcements.

(...)

Game is in stagnation.

The devs having to work on the code and assets might disagree.

Many of ex-popular mods is abandoned.

@linuxgurugamer (and others that work their collective rear ends off maintaining mods) might strongly disagree with you that there are that many mods truly abandoned.

I think it's dead for now.

R.I.P KSP 2011-2017;.;

KSP might disagree. She's got to be the prettiest zombie I've encountered - death truly becomes her. I have another date planned with her later today... snacks, comfy seating and a large screen are already prepared and waiting.

3 minutes ago, monstah said:

Close, but no cookie. Do yourself a favor and drink from the source: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cc.aspx :wink: (there's plenty more there, tho not all is good - some are even incomplete fragments, and writings from the man's childhood, for crying out loud - but I can give you a solid list of good ones to read if you're interested)

And, for that matter, Metallica doesn't even quote it correctly (tho they intend to fit it into a song's metric, so I get it). Iron Maiden came closer, but then they use "Yet" instead of "And" (perhaps from some different edition of the tale? Both ones I have in print have "And", if I recall correctly).

Ah. That was a bit of (supposed) humor. I was a reader before discovering KSP. Majoring in horror. Though I enjoy the style, I always preferred more tangible antagonists than the Lovecraft variety.

So. No major gameplay updates since...? I dont even remember.

No announcements.

Many of ex-popular mods is abandoned.

Game is in stagnation.

Weekly updates on the forum, answers your first two lines.  The game has gotten regular, although slow, updates over the years, and more are planned and have been announced (1.4 anyone?)

Mod abandonment is not the game, it is the mod authors who do NOT GET PAID.  They are doing it for fun, and sometimes, life changes.  That being said, if an author chose a restrictive licence and then leaves, no one can pick it up.  If a license is not restrictive, then it can.  I refer you to some of the mods that I maintain.

Define "stagnation".  Whatever you say, this game is not stagnating.  There are regular updates, although those updates may not be at the frequency you are used to with other games

KSP is NOT other games, it's rather unique, and if they pushed updates out every few weeks, then most mod authors (including myself) would probably just give up because of all the work.