[1.4.x] Decal Stickers R2.0 (Custom Flags & Agencies, Instructions to add your own!) March 21, 2018

blackheart612

DECAL STICKERS

tCq3uDm.png

DOWNLOAD
SPACEDOCK

Thank your sponsors by placing their logo on your craft! These stickers are highly customizable and can be placed almost anywhere! It doesn't depend on your mission flag so you can have as many sponsors as you like.

It also comes on different sizes but compressed into one part thanks to Firespitter:

Sticker Mini is 0.625 sized with both vertical and horizontal versions as well as a flat one.

Sticker Upsized is a generally just a bigger sticker.

Sticker Type A has a bigger flat version as well as 1.25, 2.50 and 3.75 and is strictly attached to a horizontal tank. *It needs to be rotated as the orientation is wrong in order to preserve correct mirror in sph
Sticker Type B has size 1.25, 2.50, and 3.75 and is strictly attached to a vertical tank

Sizes 1.25, 2.50 and 3.75 meant how wide the sticker is, they all come in same sizes but the bigger the tank is, the wider it's needed to be so it's adjusted by you in right click menu.

This idea suddenly came to mind when I made the Cargo Bay for my Airplane Plus mod. In fact, the Sticker Type A mesh is derived from it.

How to use
(you probably won't look at this anyway because you think you know already, and you're probably right):

Current Variant shows the size you chose for the Sticker. Flat is flat, Size 1 sticks perfectly to 1.25, Size 2 to 2.50, Size 3 for 3.75. Type A means Horizontal and Type B means Vertical. There is also the Sticker Mini and Sticker Upsized

The "Current Variant" Below it is the sticker's name. To change it, simply change the shape.
The "Variant" is the texture it has from the stock Part Variant Switcher. This will contain the name of the Texture.
412zNQh.png

How to add custom decals:

-Add this below another one of these in the configs:
        VARIANT
        {
            name = Custom 1
            displayName = Custom 1
            themeName = Custom 1
            primaryColor = #adafad
            secondaryColor = #adafad
            TEXTURE
            {
                mainTextureURL = blackheart/Flags/Custom1
            }
        }

-Add your image in blackheart/Flags and name it Custom1 (can be .png, .tga, or ,.dds)

-Done

Note: To add more, copy another one below it, change the name to Custom2 if you put a Custom2 in the blackheart/Flags folder.

Note: You can change the "name =", "displayname =", and "themeName =" to anything you want, make sure your file name is correct in blackheart/Flags folder.

License:

GPL
It's just a few simple mesh. Firespitter and Module Manager have their own license and isn't covered by mine.

Additional:

I just added a few mesh parts, the textures I used are 1pixel placeholders. All textures are referred to squad's folder so there shouldn't be significant performance hits. Just a lightweight add-on.

bxAiVBY.png

Edited by blackheart612
Release 2.0

Just now, Galileo said:

I have been trying to implement something like this for about a month but never got around to really making it work correctly!  Great job! 

No more having to manually edit textures and fairings to put craft logos on them :'D

Just now, Li0n said:

I think those from Procedural Fairings do, stock one don't.

Is it usable with KIS ? Can I paint my rocket in EVA ?

Nope, but to my knowledge, with some config editing, it's possible. The back of the mesh is invisible though because it's only one faced UV. Because FS can allow you to change the shape and texture on flight too. But I think it's for the best that I don't release with mod dependencies so that everybody could use it. You can modify it for your own use though.

@Galileo Yes I would. Now that I know of this the idea has come to me that the the NEBULA (decals) mod that's worked since KSP 0.25 might actually finally break. :( but I'm looking forward to the ability to do more with less variations of the images themselves. Size 3.75 better be BIG though. My flags need to be as visible as your sunflares.

@blackheart612 You there. Take all my money. :D

@blackheart612 My planes loose their stability when applying flags. Suspecting the drag-configs are culprit.

Steps to reproduce:

• Start off with a rock stable plane
  • Apply flag. I used symmetri mode
  • Plane slides sideways on runway. After some speed is gained the control surfaces go wild, and control is lost.
  • Removed decals. Plane is rock stable again

HZsJFC9.png

@blackheart612 @Galileo @SkyKaptn

Injected a second FStextureSwitch2 module with 17 flags into each part in this mod. It was easy:cool: ...However, when I change the mini decal's shape from Flat, the flag setting locks into KSP Default. change it back to Flat and it works again. I'm quite satisfied with the large ones working. (In KSP 1.2.1)

HKXArnq.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@blackheart612 I edited the part.cfg and all issues went away:

mass = 0.01
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0
    minimum_drag = 0
    angularDrag = 0
    crashTolerance = 12
    maxTemp = 2000
    heatConductivity = 20
    skinMassPerArea = 20
    explosionPotential = 0
    PhysicsSignificance = 0
    bulkheadProfiles = srf
    tags = sticker decal

Edited by SkyKaptn
colors

@SkyKaptn Thanks. Clearly I don't properly know how drag cubes work.

@JadeOfMaar Mini Decal works on default as far as I remember, I suspect it's caused by an edit in the config. Maybe a module conflict? Try using Module ID.

--

I've uploaded a quick patch, just download it again on SpaceDock

Fixed Stickers producing drag. (SkyKaptn)
Removed Debug button

@blackheart612 I noticed that there's a moduleID by default and catered for it in my patches. There's no conflict there. Here's what I did. Three instances of it in one cfg with the appropriate PART[name] for each instance:

@PART[stickerv]:NEEDS[blackheart]
{
	@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
	{
		statusText = Current in Stock //rename display text in active module
	}

MODULE //insert module
	{
		name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 2 //new module ID to prevent overlap
		showListButton = True
		nextButtonText = Next Flag
		prevButtonText = Previous Flag
		statusText = Current in GPP
		textureRootFolder = GPP\
		textureNames = //list		
		objectNames = stickerflat;sticker125;sticker250;sticker375		
		textureDisplayNames = //list
		debugMode = true
		showInfo = false
	}
}

@Beetlecat At that point it hadn't occurred to me that at the objectNames parameter, the mini sticker part was calling for different mesh options than the the other sticker parts did. Once I wrote my code to successfully inject a texture switch module into one of the large parts and present all the flags, I merely copy-pasted for the other sticker parts. I overlooked that detail about the mini sticker.

The commented line still works for the large stickers but the new line has to be applied to the mini sticker.

@blackheart612 Good work, love your use of Firespitter mesh switching. There is a way to optimize your model by removing its collider and adding a draggable mesh with a collider in front of the decal. Give them a layer 17  Editor_UI and they will show only in the editor. Less colliders in flight = less performance hit.

Your decals go nicely with this mod:

With this mod one doesn't have to edit a config every time he adds a new image, check it out :wink:

Edited by Enceos

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Beetlecat At that point it hadn't occurred to me that at the objectNames parameter, the mini sticker part was calling for different mesh options than the the other sticker parts did. Once I wrote my code to successfully inject a texture switch module into one of the large parts and present all the flags, I merely copy-pasted for the other sticker parts. I overlooked that detail about the mini sticker.

The commented line still works for the large stickers but the new line has to be applied to the mini sticker.

I did a copy paste too, so we're in the same boat. I've mis-referred object names myself :D 

@Enceos I'll keep that in mind. I keep forgetting to check the all layers post to use it to advantage. And it indeed is an awesome plugin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.