RIP John Glenn :(

insert_name

I was just informed less than a minute ago, that the last of the Mercury 7 astronauts, John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth has just passed away. We have lost one hell of a hero. A great man, and a fantastic icon in everything he did.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/12/john-glenn/john-glenn.html

"God speed John Glenn" may well become the most tweeted phrase ever, which is a shame, because I like to remember him by another phrase.

"No handball playing in this area".

He was one of my childhood heroes, and one of the best generally.

Se, I think the worst part about losing everybody this year is the fact we're becoming used to it.

We can say "Goshdarn 2016," "2016 strikes again," and so on, but it's equivalent of bringing used flowers to a funeral.

John Glenn is one of the reasons I'm studying Aerospace Engineering right now. I wrote about him in my scholarship applications, and he's an inspiration to me and millions of others. We have truly lost a national hero, and to see the internet trivialize his death really rubs me the wrong way. This man piloted a spaceship without knowing if he'd make it home alive, and the best we can do is a measly RIP?

I'm a little upset now, so I'm sorry if I've stepped on toes.

I just heard via a NASA press release. I am very sad to hear that. He was a classy guy and an outstanding citizen, in the truest sense of the word.

Edit:

If any of you have read his autobiography, you'll feel deeply for his wife. The two of them knew each other literally from infancy..

He's just gone down the street to get some gum, Annie...

Edited by PakledHostage

As if 2016 was not bad enough already...

When the new becomes commonplace, people become accustomed to it. That's a tribute to our sense of adventure.

- John Glenn

The most important thing we can do is inspire young minds to advance the kind of science, math, and technology education that will help youngsters take us to the next phase of space travel

- John Glenn

People keep talking about how we have to go to Mars. We may want to go to Mars sometime.

-John Glenn

I just heard this on the way home from work.   The passing of an American Legend, and an era.  God Speed John Glenn!

I also had the thought that we should name the first ship to Mars after him in tribute, that would be a fitting tribute to a brave man.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.