How to properly use Atomic engines?

Hello everyone, has been a while since i played ksp.

So, i came back playing and was flying a ship with 2 LV-N Nerv Atomic Engines and i really dont know how to use it anymore.

this window is new to me:
542bf0face694c2c9c5e8cb939109bd4.png

You see, both engine are marked as Active, and they started overheating even before i accelerate . I got that Core Destroyed and i need help xD

Thanks a lot!

Edited by nfpinto

Since that screen is not part of the stock game some additional information might be required.
That screenshot, Near Future?

In the past you could usually run Nerva's safely without radiators since there were no radiators yet. But these days you will need some form of cooling. And since you say you're overheating I guess you do not have enough.

Yes, that screenshot is what you get when you install both Kerbal Atomics and Near Future Electrical, plus the optional experimental patch that enables using the NFE reactor plugin for Kerbal Atomics' engines (and the stock Nerv I guess).

If this confuses you, it might be best to remove that patch - you can keep both addons, it's just a little config file named 'KerbalAtomicsNFE.cfg' that must be removed. But you can also keep it and try to figure out how it works. I personally don't know how, I never used it before. But start with the assumption that the reactor throttle governs the production of heat, and your spacecraft thrust throttle governs how much of that heat is consumed. If you leave the reactor cranked up without actually running the engine, you might experience a core meltdown. :P

9 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Yes, that screenshot is what you get when you install both Kerbal Atomics and Near Future Electrical, plus the optional experimental patch that enables using the NFE reactor plugin for Kerbal Atomics' engines (and the stock Nerv I guess).

If this confuses you, it might be best to remove that patch - you can keep both addons, it's just a little config file named 'KerbalAtomicsNFE.cfg' that must be removed. But you can also keep it and try to figure out how it works. I personally don't know how, I never used it before. But start with the assumption that the reactor throttle governs the production of heat, and your spacecraft thrust throttle governs how much of that heat is consumed. If you leave the reactor cranked up without actually running the engine, you might experience a core meltdown. :P

that seems to be the case but i am unable to find this "KerbalAtomicsNFE.cfg" file.

i found those:

033692717e2b4251b396ef9bc71f2567.png

can you point me up to what file should i delete? or what should be inside the file so i can look up

Also, i did found how it works but is too much trouble for me

thanks

Edited by nfpinto

Did you search your whole GameData folder? The file is shipped in the Extras folder of Kerbal Atomics, which has no default install location (users must decide where they want to put it, since it's optional).

You can see the file path and contents here on Github: https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/KerbalAtomics/blob/master/Extras/NearFutureElectricaNTRs/KerbalAtomicsNFE.cfg

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.