1.2.2 strut end-points protruding

Installed v1.2.2 on my system and started importing my craft files into the save folder.  Noticed that all the strut endpoints are protruding from the surface location they're attached to.  Looks rather clunky compared to their historical behavior from 1.2.1 as far back as I remember them being added into the Alpha versions of the game.  Not sure if this is intentional or a by-product of the following item listed in the 1.2.2 changelog:

* Fix for strut connectors attaching below surface on SRB-KD25k.

Anyone else noticing this?  I know a lot of players (including myself) relied on their previous behavior for aesthetics when creating structural "frames" using struts.  I know you can use the offset tool to move around the origin endpoint, but the destination endpoint is stuck outside whatever surface you attach to.

It's mostly a problem with parts with simpler colliders, for example the Jumbo-64 has a collider with half as many sides as the visible model, so this happens, or it did in 1.2.1

SOuZZdh.png

Making the collider too complex can impact performance, that's why most parts have simpler colliders, even mod parts will often have simple colliders to improve performance.

Now struts do this.

Ug9JItv.png

This could be a windfall with the collider overhaul to improve performance, which I hear is something many streamers would appreciate.

On 9 December 2016 at 5:11 PM, Raptor9 said:

Installed v1.2.2 on my system and started importing my craft files into the save folder.  Noticed that all the strut endpoints are protruding from the surface location they're attached to.  Looks rather clunky compared to their historical behavior from 1.2.1 as far back as I remember them being added into the Alpha versions of the game.  Not sure if this is intentional or a by-product of the following item listed in the 1.2.2 changelog:

* Fix for strut connectors attaching below surface on SRB-KD25k.

Anyone else noticing this?  I know a lot of players (including myself) relied on their previous behavior for aesthetics when creating structural "frames" using struts.  I know you can use the offset tool to move around the origin endpoint, but the destination endpoint is stuck outside whatever surface you attach to.

I can sort of understand them moving the origin end out, although I have never had an issue grabbing them, and that it can just be offset back in but why would you want the end you cannot even select and never will to stick out? And if this does not happen why are you asking about it? (I still need to check this as I have some very complex builds that may be affected by this) 

On 9 December 2016 at 5:34 PM, Red Iron Crown said:

Intentional, as far as I know. It keeps the strut from being buried in some parts and not being easily clickable.

One possible workaround if you need the destination endpoint sunken is to use a cubic octagonal as an interim part and offset that. 

Yup I 'invented' this trick, it's best to use thermometer parts as they are almost hidden by the strut end. 

I'm off to see what damage this has caused. 

On 12/09/2016 at 7:16 PM, Raptor9 said:

I see, thanks for the responses @sal_vager & @Red Iron Crown.  That is unfortunate IMO from a "visual appeal" perspective.  But as someone that values function over aesthetics, I can appreciate putting the premium on performance, especially for players that don't have powerhouse processors.

Moving strut ends does nothing for performance although I see that they did it as some colliders are about to get far simpler compounding the 'problem' of hidden strut ends. Personally I see no issue with them being hidden as they are super easy to find. I have made very complex shapes with them and never had any issues.

Another thing @sal_vager funnily enough in a move to make the stut ends easier to find it has now caused strut ends to not be highlighted truly making them harder to find and grab. :D

I checked all my craft that use struts for aesthetics and whilst they are now a little less clean looking the overall effect I created is still very pleasing. I guess us experienced players had to take one for the team for new or less capable players.

Also the end points that cannot be grabbed or moved are now exposed too. Why is this?

I posted a bug report HERE as the only other one was for linux.

Edited by Majorjim!

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

I can sort of understand them moving the origin end out, although I have never had an issue grabbing them, and that it can just be offset back in but why would you want the end you cannot even select and never will to stick out? And if this does not happen why are you asking about it? (I still need to check this as I have some very complex builds that may be affected by this) 

@Majorjim!, if you hadn't checked to see the effects of this change yourself, why would you ask me why I was bringing it up.  A bit of the "wagon before the horse."

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

Moving strut ends does nothing for performance although I see that they did it as some colliders are about to get far simpler compounding the 'problem' of hidden strut ends.

No kidding, sal_vager explained it to me a few posts above. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

@Majorjim!, if you hadn't checked to see the effects of this change yourself, why would you ask me why I was bringing it up.  A bit of the "wagon before the horse."

No kidding, sal_vager explained it to me a few posts above. :rolleyes:

At the time I was just trying to see if there was any real issue as if it was just the origin end there wouldn't be. I didn't meant my words to seem derogatory at all. I was able to test it after hence my later post. Oh well, there is nothing we can do about the change so we just roll with the punches huh. :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.