KSP Weekly: Farewell John Glenn...

SQUAD

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'd love to get some of those "localized" names in my roster. Any chance we could enable or disable each language for our saves, independently of each other?

I second this. And I wouldn't tie it to the character set (as suggested somewhere else) since it's a pretty personal thing which languages sound familiar to someone and which don't.

I must admit, the "German" names don't much sound like German to me - if I had to place them, I'd say some have more of a Scandinavian or Hebrew sound to them.

Also, one of the examples demonstrates an issue with your generation method: While it's true that 's' is the most common first letter in a word, that 's' is often followed by 't', and 't' often by 'h', you'll never find all three in a row at the beginning of a word. (I don't think "Sthole" would even be considered pronounceable.)
I think you will have to take multi-letter dependencies into account somehow.

Also also, if it's supposed to be German, we gotta go with "Kermann", no? :wink:

5 hours ago, Dynastic Labs said:

Squad, for John Glenn ill make a kerbal with kerbal generator called John Glenn Kerman. ill keep good care of him.

I second this , maybe even a memorial somewhere? Like a chrome shuttle named Space Shuttle Glenn near the old mk1pod memorial.

One thing I notice with the German names is that there are a lot of repeated e's there. "Yerereler" has three "er" and one "el". "Arenenic" has two "en" after another. And while the names are only a small sample of random generation, having three very similar names among the ten, "Anerich", "Arenenic" and "Anarelin" in there suggests it could be tweaked a little for greater variety.

Seconding the idea of changing "Kerman" to "Kermann" in German, as well. Same with the proposal of writing it in Cyrillic in Russian.

Also, the new feature sounds exciting. I'm torn on whether I should expect a second gas planet or terrain scatter improvements. I've had the game for a while now, but I have barely ventured beyond Kerbin's sphere of influence (going anywhere else takes such a long time, and I don't like to send Kerbals on one-way missions), so if there's one more planet out there, it's not going to impact my playstyle much. Yet another destination I probably won't explore, or at most spend some minutes at. Unless they allow extraplanetary bases, that is.

With that in mind, terrain scatter seems more plausible. It would mostly impact Kerbin (adding more rocks to other bodies wouldn't exactly change gameplay), but that's where most players spend most of their time, after all. Kerbin could need other terrain than those endless plains with rolling hills, seeing actual forests or grass would be really cool. I'd love to see "scattered textures" as well, with splotches of darker grass or mud or sand or something, giving the ground texture more variety. This could also be used to great effects on other planets, to sprite up the relatively monotonous ground texture of most bodies.

15 hours ago, SQUAD said:

As we’ve mentioned in previous editions of KSP weekly, we have been working on some awesome new things which are still in the design phase. We’re sure you’ll really enjoy it, but we are unable to say much publicly about it, yet… You all just have to be patient. But we think that patience will pay off!

Is it a recoloured fuel tank? The amount of hype seems to be just right...

11 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I love how the first few replies turned this weeks devnotes into a poem analyzing session. :D:P 

9 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

KSP has moved from teaching people about physics and rocket science to teaching people about literary analysis.

You both are welcome :)

10 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

KSP has moved from teaching people about physics and rocket science to teaching people about literary analysis.

Well, obviously. Have you even looked at @Kuzzter's threads? :confused:

I'm really excited to see that names are getting localized, even if it's not perfect yet. I think that, along with the other localization efforts, this will really expand the KSP community. Yes, English is the language of international science, but not everybody knows English or is an international scientist.

And while I'm excited about the poem, if I've learned one thing from A Jool Odyssey, it's that over-analysis is bad.

21 hours ago, SQUAD said:

The art team has been very busy too, creating images for the various winter sales KSP is going to have, fun things like wallpapers and papercrafts, which we hope you’re collecting

No one busy redesigning rocket parts?

1 minute ago, HoloYolo said:

It was established either last week or two weeks ago that rocket parts have blasted away forever.

I know, but I want to keep faith. (Plus making wallpapers is an utter waste of time IMHO, especially when you could be doing actually useful things *redesigning rocket parts for example*)

3 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

I know, but I want to keep faith. (Plus making wallpapers is an utter waste of time IMHO, especially when you could be doing actually useful things *redesigning rocket parts for example*)

Yeah I agree, rocket parts over wallpapers every day, but sadly we're not SQUAD, it's not up to us :(

6 hours ago, Gaarst said:

If all the new Wallpapers look really cute, then we all may forget about the drawbacks of unfinished work elsewhere.

:)Great works for kerbal~! But still had some problem of chinese characters's display .  When it could be solve? 

感谢你们对Kerbal的付出!目前在中文显示方面仍然存在一些问题,有些比较常用的字符无法进行显示,像“东”、“开”等字符会显示为“口”,你们什么时候能解决呀?

21 hours ago, Codraroll said:

One thing I notice with the German names is that there are a lot of repeated e's there. "Yerereler" has three "er" and one "el". "Arenenic" has two "en" after another. And while the names are only a small sample of random generation, having three very similar names among the ten, "Anerich", "Arenenic" and "Anarelin" in there suggests it could be tweaked a little for greater variety.

German has a lot of "er" and "en", but I would say most of them come from grammar (like articles, pronouns, verb declinations) and those combinations are not used that heavily in names. @SQUAD If you do your statistics over arbitrary text, you might get better results by adding a list of actual first names in that language and give a bit more weight to the combinations found there.

Edit: the same is probably true for the amount of "e"s. I would bet that vowels are more equally distributed in german names than in arbitrary written text.

Edited by pellinor

Am I the only one wondering why there is time to design, implement and make christmas stuff and not have a couple of days dev time to finish and implement Pork`s rocket parts? That would be peanuts compared to doing new things over the past weeks and months.

2 hours ago, Kamuchi said:

Am I the only one wondering why there is time to design, implement and make christmas stuff and not have a couple of days dev time to finish and implement Pork`s rocket parts? That would be peanuts compared to doing new things over the past weeks and months.

They were released under Creative Commons, so if they added them now I think the game's license would have to change to the license on those parts, which is the main reason KER or MechJeb can't be just added into the stock game.

43 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

They were released under Creative Commons, so if they added them now I think the game's license would have to change to the license on those parts, which is the main reason KER or MechJeb can't be just added into the stock game.

Wait.

So they deliberately kneecapped themselves, preventing their use of these parts? I don't approve.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.