SQUAD

KSP Weekly: Farewell John Glenn...

Recommended Posts

@SQUAD, As for me, I'd prefer to see the present english-like names. Because if there'll be some Portuguese names with superscripts for example I wouldn't know how to read them. Even being able to read in French, I'll have difficulties in reading "Licheten". Children and people who are not good in languages would have even more troubles. Russian names will be unreadable for the rest of the world :)  If names are supposed to appear according to localization, then Russian aren't actually Russian and even not Russian-like. "Рананияни" sounds like Georgian surname, the rest sound as if they were taken from Tolkien's elves. So you need at least some better name part sets. And I would still prefer to see english-like names.

I think it would be right if all localization features were made optional.

Edited by Ser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

I'm not sure if the license would have to carry over. I believe it would, which does suck.

That is incorrect.

Now.  Usual caveat. I am replying to specifically address theortical licensing questions.  This should not in any way be taken as a statement as to what content will or will not be included at a future date (since some of our community members are like terriers on stuff like this, which - to be honest - only serves to restrict communication).

The original author (in this case, Squad) can always re-license their work, but they cannot revoke the CC license on assets released under that license.  Which means that while future versions of a previously released CC asset could be re licensed and be distributed under a restrictive license, the older versions released under CC would still have their license and this license is non-revocable for that specific instance of those assets.

So I could make a picture and release it as CC, then later move the license to All Rights Reserved and incorporate that picture as part of the 'Jeb's Greatest Hits' disco album without polluting the work, as I would be the copyright holder.  But I could not retroactively sue people who used the original (CC) artwork as the cover for their 'Best Jeb Fan-Fiction' e-book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kamuchi said:

Am I the only one wondering why there is time to design, implement and make christmas stuff and not have a couple of days dev time to finish and implement Pork`s rocket parts? That would be peanuts compared to doing new things over the past weeks and months.

"a couple of days"

Nice one. I like that. Porkjet worked for like 3 hours on those parts, said "meh, I quit" and nobody at Squad could step away from the water cooler long enough to finish them off. Must be what happened.

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

I'm not sure if the license would have to carry over. I believe it would, which does suck.

I'm no lawyer but I think if they own them, they can re-release them (as part of KSP) under any license they want.

If that wasn't possible, modders could never change their licenses which I'm sure has happened many times in the past.

25 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

The original author (in this case, Squad) can always re-license their work, but they cannot revoke the CC license on assets released under that license.  Which means that while future versions of a previously released CC asset could be re licensed and be distributed under a restrictive license, the older versions released under CC would still have their license and this license is non-revocable for that specific instance of those assets.

Yaay I feel smart!

(except the part where I didn't read the whole thread first)

Edited by 5thHorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

That is incorrect.

Now.  Usual caveat. I am replying to specifically address theortical licensing questions.  This should not in any way be taken as a statement as to what content will or will not be included at a future date (since some of our community members are like terriers on stuff like this, which - to be honest - only serves to restrict communication).

The original author (in this case, Squad) can always re-license their work, but they cannot revoke the CC license on assets released under that license.  Which means that while future versions of a previously released CC asset could be re licensed and be distributed under a restrictive license, the older versions released under CC would still have their license and this license is non-revocable for that specific instance of those assets.

So I could make a picture and release it as CC, then later move the license to All Rights Reserved and incorporate that picture as part of the 'Jeb's Greatest Hits' disco album without polluting the work, as I would be the copyright holder.  But I could not retroactively sue people who used the original (CC) artwork as the cover for their 'Best Jeb Fan-Fiction' e-book.

Thanks for informing me! I was unaware that was how it worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French names are really bad... They don't sound French at all ;.; No word can start with "ç", almost no word finishi with a double -s , most words/names finish with -e ... Only 3 of those 10 names are actually realistic

Edited by simon56modder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ser said:

@SQUAD, As for me, I'd prefer to see the present english-like names. Because if there'll be some Portuguese names with superscripts for example I wouldn't know how to read them. Even being able to read in French, I'll have difficulties in reading "Licheten". Children and people who are not good in languages would have even more troubles. Russian names will be unreadable for the rest of the world :)  If names are supposed to appear according to localization, then Russian aren't actually Russian and even not Russian-like. "Рананияни" sounds like Georgian surname, the rest sound as if they were taken from Tolkien's elves. So you need at least some better name part sets. And I would still prefer to see english-like names.

I think it would be right if all localization features were made optional.

I'm agree, also " Ьдара" impossible name because russian letter "Ь" can not be first. ("ъ", "ы" too :) ).

 

@Squad, I think you may use dictionary instead random generator for "non-english" names

Edited by Vaisman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, genbrien said:

aucun prénom... a moins que t'aies des exemples?

Yeah, I know... I was just being pedantic :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vaisman said:

@Squad, I think you may use dictionary instead random generator for "non-english" names

There's a problem with dictionary approach: it gives way less names compared to generated ones. But it seems that only ancient Slavic names could be properly generated as pseudo Russian: Yaroslav, Vyacheslav, Svyatopolk, Velemir etc. But that would be as funny as having Attila Kerman in space. Though some weird ones could be added if modern roots and suffixes were used: Vladiliy, Vasimir, Alekil, Mikhasey, Marilga, Ona :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ser said:

There's a problem with dictionary approach: it gives way less names compared to generated ones. But it seems that only ancient Slavic names could be properly generated as pseudo Russian: Yaroslav, Vyacheslav, Svyatopolk, Velemir etc. But that would be as funny as having Attila Kerman in space. Though some weird ones could be added if modern roots and suffixes were used: Vladiliy, Vasimir, Alekil, Mikhasey, Marilga, Ona :)

"English" kerbal names somtimes weird for us, and slavic names may be weird to. I think "root+suffix" generator will avoid inproper letters in inproper places :)

PS: i want Svyatopolk and Attila Kerman.

Edited by Vaisman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vaisman said:

PS: i want Svyatopolk and Attila Kerman.

But I don't. That's why I want all localization features to be made optional.

P.S. Damn, this post has broken my 666 post count. Bloody hell.

Edited by Ser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for tbe secret feature i don't have anymore hope for stock clouds or a new planet,

maybe more anomalies? more or contract( or less dumb)? ground scatterring collision? wheel fix?

for the kerbal name, i wonder what will hapen in game after switching this feature, does already named kerbal will keep their name, or change and maybe get a mess with our saves, jetpackpropelant and mods :P ( i know you will check this right?), also will it be possible to have other language kkerbal name in one save? i would like my space program to be international too.

nice to see you still work on ksp.

for tbe secret feature i don't have anymore hope for stock clouds or a new planet,

maybe more anomalies? more or contract( or less dumb)? ground scatterring collision? wheel fix?

for the kerbal name, i wonder what will hapen in game after switching this feature, does already named kerbal will keep their name, or change and maybe get a mess with our saves, jetpackpropelant and mods :P ( i know you will check this right?), also will it be possible to have other language kkerbal name in one save? i would like my space program to be international too.

nice to see you still work on ksp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ser said:

There's a problem with dictionary approach: it gives way less names compared to generated ones. But it seems that only ancient Slavic names could be properly generated as pseudo Russian: Yaroslav, Vyacheslav, Svyatopolk, Velemir etc. But that would be as funny as having Attila Kerman in space. Though some weird ones could be added if modern roots and suffixes were used: Vladiliy, Vasimir, Alekil, Mikhasey, Marilga, Ona :)

I want to send Vasimir Kerman on an ion probe. Because it's almost VASIMR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skalou said:

for tbe secret feature i don't have anymore hope for stock clouds or a new planet,

maybe more anomalies? more or contract( or less dumb)? ground scatterring collision? wheel fix?

They are lacking on development content to show off so my wild speculation is If they don't want to show off despite that then it's likely something their executives would love more than we do like a mobile port or a way to buy merch in game.

Edited by passinglurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skalou said:

for tbe secret feature i don't have anymore hope for stock clouds

I think there's a simple reason for that: performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2016 at 8:50 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

"...New name generator..."

Damn! And here's me, just on the cusp of finishing my name generator!

There'll still be a "market" for mod-based kerbal name-generation, particularly since Squad is going to stick with the silly-sounding procedurally generated names rather than dictionaries/lists of real names. I for one would encourage you to release your work as I'm pretty sure there are no other mods with name-generation features currently (KPseudonym was good but it's out of date.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we assume the new feature is visual ("interesting sights" and all that)... could it be related to Kerbals too, like the names? I mean, chalking up some randomized facial features like beards, mustaches, make-up, hair colours and all that, shouldn't be too hard, right? It would make the unique Kerbals more unique, and the random ones more random. Not to mention that it, in true Squad fashion, would involve precisely none of the features the fans are vocally waiting for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2016 at 4:50 AM, 0111narwhalz said:

"...New name generator..."

Damn! And here's me, just on the cusp of finishing my name generator!

If your generator will have an option to keep stock names, please, add a feature to specify the names that should be excluded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, passinglurker said:

...like a mobile port or a way to buy merch in game.

...or a mobile app solely to buy plushies.

16 hours ago, Ser said:

I think there's a simple reason for that: performance.

Graphic settings.

Edited by klgraham1013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the name generator is optional.

For none of the German names is realistic. Not even a little. Apart from Elena, which should be called Elina correctly. But all the other names are pure fantasy. And if I had to use such names, I would get a toothache.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Isabelle.V.Fuchs said:

For none of the German names is realistic.

Frybert Kerman would like a word with you.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how German or any other names work in reality or how they parallel the "American English" KSP names, but the random names in KSP are nothing anybody would ever name anything. Maybe a pet. If it was short lived.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

the random names in KSP are nothing anybody would ever name anything. Maybe a pet. If it was short lived.

:D Yeah, I like them too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Isabelle.V.Fuchs said:

I hope the name generator is optional.

For none of the German names is realistic. Not even a little. Apart from Elena, which should be called Elina correctly. But all the other names are pure fantasy. And if I had to use such names, I would get a toothache.
 

Yeah, @SQUAD, you should think in syllables instead of letters. The Portuguese ones are completely fantasy, too, and barely even readable (tip: "Ã" only ever appears in the middle of syllables, which themselves are only common at the end of words).

Coincidentally, I have been reading this since yesterday. It's a bit overkill, but I found it through here, and that second link is a lot easier to read. This generator (on the same site as the first link) also uses those same ideas, and the names that come out of it are pretty good-sounding.

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how German or any other names work in reality or how they parallel the "American English" KSP names, but the random names in KSP are nothing anybody would ever name anything. Maybe a pet. If it was short lived.

Heh.

It seems to me stock names (so far) are made from two lists of half-names that are randomly chosen and spliced together. Not very realistic, but they sound at least as good as Asimov's characters' names. The ones on this post, tho, seem to have been generated letter-by-letter, with a very naïve algorithm, and sound more like Marvel Comics' extraterrestrial characters' names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ser said:

If your generator will have an option to keep stock names, please, add a feature to specify the names that should be excluded.

The generator is built on the current "proper name" or "prefix-suffix" system. When generating, the user is able to specify male or female, and proper or compound. Any of the nine combinations which yield names are supported, and the user can even generate other kinds of names if they substitute the text file which contains the name fragments.

All I need is a few more hours of real computer time, and I'll release it. Maybe later this week, I 'unno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.