Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

:0.0: How?!?! Tell me your secrets! Are there jet engines underneath that make the craft hover?

The other way around, awesomeness is sucked away from above, so from underneath the awesomeness is pushing it up to try & fill the vacuum.

27 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

Would a jet powered hovercraft be allowed?

I thought I've seen it all...I don't know ?!

It is The "KERBAL" Dakar, so you little green men go ahead and do what you got to do.

As far as worrying about cheaters, kuck em, if you really want to cheat to win this you must feel great.

Personaly I don't care who wins, I just want to finish this challenge knowing I was able to create and drive a vehicle to do this.

Most people who enter the real Dakar do this for the experience. I don't care about the sponsored teams like "Red Kull" who puts in millions to win so we all can see there logo.

Why you think Red Kull is so expensive...<_<

Edited by Triop

18 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

:0.0: How?!?! Tell me your secrets! Are there jet engines underneath that make the craft hover?

It doesn't actually hover, it just sits on the wheels

If you are interested I made a thread for it

Now started work on my rally version

AJ7B51M.png

11 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

We do each stage separately right? And then add up the times when all the stages are complete?

Yes, you will be given all the time to do the stages, but you can do them only once and in the right order.

Also, if you fail on a Stage (breaking down, dieing), you will have to start again with stage 1 and the previous times will not count.

I do have to say that this is something I can't check, but I can't make the challenge full cheatproof.

Personaly I don't care much about cheaters, mostly they are caught by very well observant forum users.

The way I can solve this is:

Start is January 1st.

first week: Stage 1

Everybody gets a week time to make there fastest stage and send in there times proven with screenshots

Stage 2 will start on January 7th and so on.

Give me feedback if you like this or not AND STOP GIVING ME REP. ^_^

Edited by Triop

1 hour ago, mrmcp1 said:

It doesn't actually hover, it just sits on the wheels

If you are interested I made a thread for it

Now started work on my rally version

AJ7B51M.png

Cool design, I like it ... But you do realize that there be a bunch of hills, bumps and just generally crappy terrain to drive over ... with how low your craft is you're gonna be loosing parts left, right and center

On 12/9/2016 at 10:43 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hide contents

We'll just sneak off for some test runs...

PedOwZI.png

Hide contents

X5BWomx.png?1

*rock music*

On 12/10/2016 at 2:53 PM, Triop said:

I'm not going for the best time, I'm going for making it to the finish in one piece (and alive) ^_^

Btw, i've made some changes to the track.

sfX1IYZ.png

Questions/Comments:

1) That track looks like the Mexico GP track that F1 uses.

2) WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!! MY HEAD HAS BEEN CONFUSED! So you start at the SPH, and go to the Stage 2 flag. Go around the back of the mountain, and then stage 7 is a flat-out sprint to the Stage 2 flag? Or back to the KSC?

3) Do I need to download the map or just make my own? Either way, I'm trying this.

On 12/11/2016 at 6:00 PM, Triop said:

In memoriam

*newscaster voice*

"News out of the Dakar Challenge League; Famed test pilot Bill Kerman, has died due to injuries sustained during a test for the third stage of the series. The funeral service will be at 5:00 pm Saturday, but it will be 'private' according to his family."

2 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

*newscaster voice*

"News out of the Dakar Challenge League; Famed test pilot Bill Kerman, has died due to injuries sustained during a test for the third stage of the series. The funeral service will be at 5:00 pm Saturday, but it will be 'private' according to his family."

I have resurrected him so I guess me is racing with zombie Bill :rolleyes:

On 12/12/2016 at 10:49 AM, Azimech said:

Wow that speed.

I'm thinking of using my new Charger 3.0. Not nearly as fast (it tops out at 88) but it's fun to drive.

88 MILES PER HOUR!!!!!!!

#OnlyBackToTheFutureFansWillUnderstand

On 12/12/2016 at 10:57 AM, DoctorDavinci said:

Watch out for the rough terrain ... low hanging parts are guaranteed to get knocked off 

I also suggest some drogue chutes to slow you down if you get airborne ... landing at over 50m/s tends to break stuff :wink:

There goes my plan for the AS-1A; It's so low, the KSC terrain has been known to damage the front wing. But if I raised the ride height.....

21 hours ago, Triop said:

Flags or the Races! mod ?

FLAGS!!!!!!!!! I AM 100% STOCK!!!!!

8 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

My rover has an adjustable rear wing for downforce when needed as well as a reaction wheel for emergency adjustment mid-jump. Am I disqualified?

Well if so, I am 100% SCREWED. I use flaps at the front and the rear for 1) Downforce, and 2) DRS (Where the flaps slot down to make the car get a ton of extra speed. Also, not sure about this, but I also use RCS for a little added boost.

Just now, Triop said:

Thanks btw, YOU LIKE FLAGS!!!!!!! YOU GET FLAGS!!!!!!1eleven :wink:

WOOO

ME <3 FLAGS!!! Even though mods are pretty nice; Especially that mod with the roll cage parts; But my computer is so overloaded with game, I'm surprised it doesn't catch fire when I turn it on.

5 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, ill be using the races mod if you still are intending to, it works fine and gives a real indication of and improvement when testing designs rather than the guesstimate of the F3 window and as for time to  complete a section it's exact, clock starts when you cross the line and stops when you cross the finish,. no ambiguity.  It's such a tiny mod that it's a negligible impact on a 1GB gamedata folder

Re the install of races, put the save in saves, put the Races folder in GameData and the same with the RaceTracks folder, i did not put it in the races folder , i have access to both tracks, the stock one that comes with the mod and the Dakar stages

Good explanation of the mod, it's such a small and simple thing and I love it.

It's out for this challenge since most people prefer the flags, so I went the democratic way. ^_^

4 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

So like a badge for the winner? I'll get on it.

Lucky for you, i already have one (botched it together at school today).

IgbbGs0.png

I originally planned to paste it on the side of my truck, but i guess it might also work as a badge for those that have completed it.

And yes, im planning on taking part on this challenge very soon.

(Any chace this might have been inspired by my earlier Dakar ralley truck post).

28 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

Lucky for you, i already have one (botched it together at school today).

IgbbGs0.png

I originally planned to paste it on the side of my truck, but i guess it might also work as a badge for those that have completed it.

And yes, im planning on taking part on this challenge very soon.

(Any chace this might have been inspired by my earlier Dakar ralley truck post).

I love it,in fact when I was googling for dakar this one I liked most.

But could you please replace "kerbin ksc" with "kerbal edition" ?

And if you could make me a flagsized version I'll be happy to smack that on my madmaxmobile &)