Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

12 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Half the fun is getting in ... The other half is digging yourself out :cool:

The smile on his face says it all. ^_^

Edit: o wait, the car is still stuck...

Edited by Triop

8 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

What mod do you use to put that on the car?

You'll need Nebula decals for that. (seems that people have already given all the needed info).

As i am here now, i might as well tell you how i'm going handle my refuelling/repairs.

Instead of building a large VTOL or a heli, i am instead going to build launchpads on every checkpoint using Kerbal Konstruct.

I simply recover, and relaunch my truck.

Edited by kapteenipirk

20 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

@Triop 1 final question: Each stage lasts for 1 week, right? So you can submit times for stage 1 from 01/01/17 to 07/01/17, stage to from 08/01/17 to 15/01/17, etc... right?

You can submit all your times from the 1/1/17 to the 31/1/17 as far as i know

Edited by rkarmark

Three questions.

Is it possible to start out with a Kerbal in the seat of my rover if I use the chair (not a capsule or cockpit)? Right now I launch my rover, drive it off the runway, launch a capsule, EVA from the capsule, climb into my rover and drive...

I am using the Galileo high res mod and it really doesn't look quite like the images in the thread. I think I am missing some way points by a bit. Is there a simple way for me to know where your waypoints are on my landscape?

How do you make a rover with only electric wheels go faster? Does adding more wheels give you more speed?

18 minutes ago, CranialRectosis said:

Three questions.

Is it possible to start out with a Kerbal in the seat of my rover if I use the chair (not a capsule or cockpit)? Right now I launch my rover, drive it off the runway, launch a capsule, EVA from the capsule, climb into my rover and drive...

-snip-

To answer your first question, you can use the TakeCommand(continued) mod to allow you to launch your vessel with a Kerbal already in the external seat, instead of a capsule or pod.  It's what I use, and it saves a lot of headache.

You will have to consult others to find out if that automatically puts you in modded category, though.

Edited by Slam_Jones

23 minutes ago, CranialRectosis said:

How do you make a rover with only electric wheels go faster? Does adding more wheels give you more speed?

More wheels or faster wheels. The first option will see diminishing returns, and the second will eventually have you using modded wheels :) 

A workaround many are using is to augment the wheels with jet power. You'd be pleasantly surprised what a single Juno can do for you. 

EDIT @Thor Wotansen Yes there will be. No thread yet. I'll be starting a thread as soon as this race is underway, as a courtesy to @Triop . I'll link the thread here, when it's up, so make sure you are subscribed to this thread. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

Spanner Racing today suffered the equivalent of the catastrophic workshop fire,  due to a bit of carelessness  adding some new roll cage parts, the entire development fleet , including the vehicle that was set to race on the first,  have been destroyed and will not load without game breaking after effects.  This is a bit of a set back as you can imagine as RKR 08oc  was just about perfect for my cautiously reckless style ( or lack of it ) I will endeavor to be there on the grid , i know a little green guy with a crater crawler going for peanuts :)

Btw I've tried every trick and edit i can think of to bring them back but it looks like they're gone for good,  the last shot taken before destruction ...

Be0nRh0.png

4 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Spanner Racing today suffered the equivalent of the catastrophic workshop fire,  due to a bit of carelessness  adding some new roll cage parts, the entire development fleet , including the vehicle that was set to race on the first,  have been destroyed and will not load without game breaking after effects.  This is a bit of a set back as you can imagine as RKR 08oc  was just about perfect for my cautiously reckless style ( or lack of it ) I will endeavor to be there on the grid , i know a little green guy with a crater crawler going for peanuts :)

Btw I've tried every trick and edit i can think of to bring them back but it looks like they're gone for good,  the last shot taken before destruction ...

Be0nRh0.png

what mod gives you those wheels? They look perfect for the rally

Just now, DarkOwl57 said:

what mod gives you those wheels? They look perfect for the rally

Not a mod as yet, they were made as a result of my test runs in the events, if the pile of junk thats becoming the SM Racing folder ever becomes fit to publish, then they'll be in there along with other items of course. As for suitability for the event they're the best I've tried so far,  and although fairly stock in cfg and unity hierarchy the placement of wheels colliders etc is very different to that of a stock wheel, but not so much that it's not possible for any stock wheel to be set up the same way.

Oh and on the subject of wheels, has anyone else noticed that the wheel hierarchy on the M1 is wrong, the steering knuckle/ wheel mount  is not meant to turn with the wheel , and it does, didn't until the latest wheel tweaks though..

6 hours ago, mrmcp1 said:

Might be wrong but I think you must use the same vehicle throughout

Hmm, you might be right :/. What do you say @Triop.

Tough it must be said, i think it is still the "same vehicle", wether or not it has been recovered/relaunched.

As long as no extra bits are added or other parts changed, it passes as "same" in my book :wink:.

And oh yea, im going to video the entire run.

Also, fun fact, i haven't tested any of the stages. I taugh it might be fun to make it more authentic/challenging by basically doing it blind.

I mean, how needs practice anyways, when you can just go for it :wink:.

12 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

Hmm, you might be right :/. What do you say @Triop.

Tough it must be said, i think it is still the "same vehicle", wether or not it has been recovered/relaunched.

As long as no extra bits are added or other parts changed, it passes as "same" in my book :wink:.

And oh yea, im going to video the entire run.

Also, fun fact, i haven't tested any of the stages. I taugh it might be fun to make it more authentic/challenging by basically doing it blind.

I think "same vehicle" is more so, say, if you lose a wheel, you either try to finish while short a wheel, or put on a spare that you brought with you. I imagine this is so one will try to keep the rover in good condition throughout the race, rather than thrashing it and getting a shiny new rover at each stage. 

But I could be wrong!

12 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

i think it is still the "same vehicle", wether or not it has been recovered/relaunched.

As long as no extra bits are added or other parts changed, it passes as "same" in my book

Hi, it's certainly not the same vehicle, whenever you switch scenes the vehicle is destroyed and a clone appears in the new scene, in the case of returning to sph or vab  the whole vehicle is destroyed and replaced from the saved prefab in exactly the same way as if you had simply reverted to sph.  Not for me to say  if it;s against the rules or not   I'm of the opinion  it goes against the spirit if not the letter of the rules, as you will be starting each stage with a completely fresh vehicle,  rather than one that's already battered and bruised from several stages

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

5 minutes ago, Triop said:

You realy have no idea what you are signing up for...

Don't you wish you could be there for the first run on stage two :D

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Don't you wish you could be there for the first run on stage two :D

Tell me about it; I blew off stage 2 like "Oh, this is going to be EASY! It's 3 I have to worry about." *45 minutes, 2 left front wheels lost, 1 cracked chassis and a total of 3 runs later*

This is going to be harder than I thought...

Okay, my testing vehicle's made it through Stage 2...  Surprisingly, first try, but... I've made some long drives on Kerbin before, so I know what to watch out for.  However, I'm using, at least to me, the unknown quantity, the TR-2L wheels.  Last time I used them was back in 1.0.5, when they had so much sideways grip that they'd roll any rover at 10 m/s easily.  As for my craft, it's... well, it's a little ridiculous.  6 wheeled, all electric racing buggy, though I am using fuel cells because otherwise it'd look like a porcupine covered in RTG's.