Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

"We choose to go to the moon. drive around a mountain ... and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

This is a w.i.p. for a challenge starting on January 1st 2017 !   Under construction.

tU7VyMv.png

Banner design by DrunkenKerbalnaut, thanks dude.

Your upcoming nightmare:

CTy1nJq.png

This challenge will test your design, driving and strategy skills.

Don't think this is going to be easy, expect bumps, hills, drops, mountains.

Study the route you want to take before you start, A to B is never a straight line in the Dakar.

Some stages will be more about braking than going fast.

Make sure you will not be disturbed during your attempt.

Put on your favorite music and play it loud, this will keep you focused while driving.

Made a craft for this challenge and want to show/discuss it? go here:

! New official safefile ! :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6nz4myuv7a1tdmr/AAAn2y3Yj6v0RDsOkfE0yUVaa?dl=0

People who already had the track don't have to download this, the only thing changed are the flag names.

If you are using 1.2.1, Open the persistence file in a text editor and change the third line from 'version = 1.2.2' to 'version = 1.2.1.

DoctorDavinci's explanation :

1- Download the Official Kerbal Dakar 2017 save file form the link provided.
2- Copy the Dakar2017 save game to the save game folder that will be found in your KSP directory ... {your KSP install location}/savegames/.
3- Go back into KSP, click on 'load save' and select Official Kerbal Dakar 2017.
4- Start racing :wink:.

Video of stages terrain by DoctorDavinci:

So I'm working on setting up stages for a Kerbin Dakar around the mountain.

I found out to keep it fun :

- Each stage = About 30 KM, this will make real time driving take you 30 minutes or less, so no (too) long boring drives.

- The challenge will start 1st January 2017, with stage 1.

I will allow mods, refueling etc, as long as you drive the car yourself, timing it checkpoint to checkpoint.

Stages:

- You may start a (next) stage whenever you like, just finish the stage within 6 hours.

- You may send a crew ahead or on route to assist you. (refuel,repairs,replacements of parts) They will not be timed.

- When you finished a stage, you can take all the time you need to do service on you're vehicle.

- If you finish a stage, but you want to replace your vehicle (because of damage) you will be allowed to do that, but let us know.

- If you use hyperedit to replace your vehicle you are a <snipped by moderator>. cat. ^_^

- You are free to explore the stages before doing your timed stage.

Roadmaps of the stages:

Spoiler

x225o2P.png

XmuzJeo.png

5IX1RUk.png

WSfcI5A.png

hjOT8TO.png

0meMaQ6.png

WfIKuvC.png

Spoiler

If you see this, you are not supposed to see this yet, but kudos for finding it.:lol:

giphy.gif

Welcome to the official Kerbal Dakar 2017.

CTy1nJq.png

This challenge will test your design, driving and strategy skills.

Don't think this is going to be easy, expect bumps, hills, drops, mountains.

Study the route you want to take before you start, A to B is never a straight line in the Dakar.

Some stages will be more about braking than going fast.

Make sure you will not be disturbed during your attempt.

Put on your favorite music and play it loud, this will keep you focused while driving.

How it works:

1. Download the "Official Kerbal Dakar 2017" savefile.

It is a empty savegame containing only the 7 flags needed to set up the route.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6nz4myuv7a1tdmr/AAAn2y3Yj6v0RDsOkfE0yUVaa?dl=0

If you are using 1.2.1, Open the persistence file in a text editor and change the third line from 'version = 1.2.2' to 'version = 1.2.1.

DoctorDavinci's explanation :

1- Download the Official Kerbal Dakar 2017 save file form the link provided.
2- Copy the Dakar2017 save game to the save game folder that will be found in your KSP directory ... {your KSP install location}/savegames/.
3- Go back into KSP, click on 'load save' and select Official Kerbal Dakar 2017.
4- Start racing :wink:.

2. Design a manned rover.

- Use mods or make it stock, it's up to you.

- You can use electric, jet engines, both if you like but no flying (that also means don't use jet engines while jumping).

- Minimal 1 Kerbal, so no drones.

3. Start to finish, how to.

- You will have to complete 7 stages, timing each using screenshots (press F1, the screenshot will be found in your KSP directory {your KSP install location}/Screenshots/ ) , 2 per stage, showing us the rover near the flag. E.g:

Screenshot 1.

XYnuNbf.png

Screenshot 2

kI1dkNR.png

Make your starting screenshot when the clock hits 0 seconds, this will make calculating time easier.

Now calculate your time, in my case: start: 00.28.00 finish: 00.44.11 = total stage time: 00.16.11

When calculating your time, keep in mind a clock has 60 minutes and 60 seconds, so don't add up to 100.

When done, upload your results here:

The 7 stages:

Spoiler

x225o2P.png

XmuzJeo.png

5IX1RUk.png

WSfcI5A.png

hjOT8TO.png

0meMaQ6.png

WfIKuvC.png

Before starting to ask me all sort of questions, please read this thread :

Spoiler

This is not an official attempt, only an example !

Stage 1

So I forgot to change target to surface setting, showing me the distance and not the speed that should say 0.0 m/s. But you can clearly see the brakes are on. &)

Start:

EVGUaSx.png

Finish:

iw1GoJu.png

Time = 00.15.16

Stage 2

Start:

dttMkzM.png

Finish:

UCCrZOn.png

Time = 00.14.10

Stage 3

Start:

2GAWsds.png

Finish:

O6c8Pt9.png

Time = 00.21.30

Stage 4

Start:

SBZj3CD.png

Finish:

L2Y8QPw.png

Time = 00.18.12

Stage 5

Start:

MyLVG9h.png

Finish:

cTYXGK3.png

Time = 00.18.17

Stage 6

Start:

pSIZje9.png

Finish:

2SW1n5J.png

Time = 00.16.27

Stage 7

Start:

hgKjzUE.png

Finish:

w9qCNLs.png

Time = 00.17.27

Total time: = 02.01.19 (2 hours, 1 minute and 19 seconds)

Edited by Triop

Hiya, as mods are allowed i believe the workshop chaps would be interested in taking part in this event, they've been building and breaking rovers for a while now and reckon they'll do fine.    It also seems very opportune  with some decent rover parts around, I hope the rules will encourage and accept prototypes, as the workshop crew come out in a rash if you mention stock.

As for the actual event,  How will it be done?  just a timed event with some way of proving you and rover reached points A to F?

. Yes it appeals  the more i think about the more i like it :wink:

Spoiler

We'll just sneak off for some test runs...

PedOwZI.png

Spoiler

X5BWomx.png?1

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hiya, as mods are allowed i believe the workshop chaps would be interested in taking part in this event, they've been building and breaking rovers for a while now and reckon they'll do fine.    It also seems very opportune  with some decent rover parts around, I hope the rules will encourage and accept prototypes, as the workshop crew come out in a rash if you mention stock.

As for the actual event,  How will it be done?  just a timed event with some way of proving you and rover reached points A to F?

. Yes it appeals  the more i think about the more i like it :wink:

Hiya SpannerMonkey, I want to give you (all of you) the track (save file), "Dakar 2017"

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9mb8w7pyzs4gbeu/AAAR9eETfiT8jRxPSMQH1tW-a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/home

I like what I see, but we need more monkeys ^_^

I want to time every stage by a screenshot from start to finish, (Pref. having a photo-journal in the middle).

I'd like to keep the calander settings meaning stage 1 will take place on the 1st of January, giving each contestant 24 hours (in there timezone?) to send in their screenshots.

Stage 2 will be on 2nd January and so on...

Edit: having some trouble with dropbox, let me know if the link works correct.

Edited by Triop

I definitely like this idea ......

One issue I see is having actual dates and realworld time limits for completing a leg of the challenge ... perhaps have a start date for each leg but extend the due date for each one from 24hrs to a few days (or even a week) as many who would like to take part may have RL get in the way and that could end up making them miss the due date for the leg they are doing

44 minutes ago, Spacetraindriver said:

Can I use a Jet Train?

Yes, I'd love to see that.

13 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I definitely like this idea ......

One issue I see is having actual dates and realworld time limits for completing a leg of the challenge ... perhaps have a start date for each leg but extend the due date for each one from 24hrs to a few days (or even a week) as many who would like to take part may have RL get in the way and that could end up making them miss the due date for the leg they are doing

Good point, I will change it later.

12 hours ago, Triop said:

Harder than it looks ^_^...Entering stage 3 this happened:

001vmtP.png

Another definite strategy to avoid is charging through the mountains in the dark, some of those drop offs on the backside of the mountains come up on you fast

13 hours ago, Triop said:

I want to time every stage by a screenshot from start to finish, (Pref. having a photo-journal in the middle).

I'd like to keep the calander settings meaning stage 1 will take place on the 1st of January, giving each contestant 24 hours (in there timezone?) to send in their screenshots.

Stage 2 will be on 2nd January and so on...

Got the save no problems and ran a few sections, calendar stages works fine for me and holds true to the real event,  Re the timezone  and the issues presented by Doc , i don't see you have much choice with that one as there are players  from all over. .and it's a busy time for a lot of folks.  I'd rather have it spread out than have no competition at all, I have the time anyway so it's no biggy either way  :)

For the record my entry is a hybrid LF/EC max speed around 30ms,  The ec being provided by a large but not OP alternator,  needs to run for at least 10-15 mins per stage to keep full charge, the alternator is powered by a custom V16 (cos i can )  1 large and two small batteries will last ten mins or so without charge so not a full stage.  .  56 parts total  9 of which are stock :D

Spoiler

TOJjiNg.png

The engine

4PWCczL.png

Like the idea even if I don't think a single of my rovers has survived a full kilometer...

Do you intend to limit the number of Kerbal allowed in the rover ? It will be easy for me if I can rebuild my rover, with a KIS engineer, as it falls apart :wink:

11 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So for entertainment value might I recommend this ....

Thanks, I was looking for that mod.

2 minutes ago, Li0n said:

Like the idea even if I don't think a single of my rovers has survived a full kilometer...

Do you intend to limit the number of Kerbal allowed in the rover ? It will be easy for me if I can rebuild my rover, with a KIS engineer, as it falls apart :wink:

You may repair, refuel, even replace your vehicle, BUT it will cost you a lot off time.

So drive safe &)

Time to train my rover building skils(they suck) and my rover driving skils(sucks too or maby it's just my building skils that REALLY needs traning)

PS: is it okay to use others rovers? 

PPS: Well i have good time until next year:cool:

PPPS: Oh you should have more than one day to complete each section.  Real life loves to get in the way:(

I like it a lot but I request a pure stock category ... and a jet/electric propulsion category. Because if I have to drive with a max speed of 30m/s I fall asleep at the wheel. We need adrenaline!

The thing with mods is, I'm a modder myself so I can write my own parts, very OP. So for me it's stock or nothing.

By the way, Stock Visual Enhancements has something new: scatter objects with enabled collider! That means: crashing into rocks and trees! Lots of fun!

Also a lot of fun is his Sigma, it makes Kerbin a lot more bumpy: deeper valleys, higher mountains.

So what I would do is a stock, non-refueling, no repairs or replacement vehicle, scatter collider enabled, jet/electric drive.

And sure, you guys can use my custom vehicle sounds, no need to ask.

8 minutes ago, rkarmark said:

PS: is it okay to use others rovers? 

Sure, why not, you still have to drive it yourself.

2 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Just drop each stage daily, but allow until Feb 1st or so to close the competition.

Good idea.

Will there be weight classes? Depents on how many people wil participate.

22 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I like it a lot but I request a pure stock category ... and a jet/electric propulsion category. Because if I have to drive with a max speed of 30m/s I fall asleep at the wheel. We need adrenaline!

I've already run the first leg with your wonderful charger,  and as long as you read the terrain right it's no problem,  definitely worth a shot in something less low rider :)

AS for mods V stock , agreed it could be argued that any modder would just overpower everything and walk away with it,  and in some challenges that would indeed pay off, in this case though I don't think it would be a sure thing,  I for one would not want to crest some of those ridges at 30 plus ms.   

Re my entry I don't feel that it's in anyway OP, it uses stock size 0 nodes,  uses no autostrut horribleness, and the wheel speed is comparable to stock, fair enough the design and suspension setting are in no way stock, but a wheel collider is just a wheel collider, and it's not even using the KSPWheels versions.   and to back up the not so OP statement , I've just ripped off both front wheels within sight of the stage 1 checkpoint rofl.

I've no problem with stock and modded categories. I intend to run modded, but completely respect that stock is where the real competition should be, at least if you expect to measure performances against each other. 

Of course if people want to use scatterer or other mods that have no effect on rover performance, I say go for it. Personally, I don't even use anti-aliasing haha. 

I'm not going for the best time, I'm going for making it to the finish in one piece (and alive) ^_^

Btw, i've made some changes to the track.

sfX1IYZ.png

Like it ? Let me know.

I'm also looking for a timer mod, but I can't find any...

Just now, Triop said:

I'm not going for the best time, I'm going for making it to the finish in one piece (and alive) ^_^

Btw, i've made some changes to the track.

sfX1IYZ.png

Like it ? Let me know.

I'm also looking for a timer mod, but I can't find any...

I think I saw Manley using a timer mod for an air race. 

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

I must have missed your post, good idea, I will add in those categories.

31 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I learned that it might be a good idea to pack some chutes on your buggy in case you get airborne

LOL, I know that feeling... :confused:

eJi5cRh.png

12 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

Bill keeps asking why they aren't designing a delivery system, too. 

But Jeb won't stop talking in Burt Reynolds movie quotes. 

zVh0zL4.jpg

What mod is that frame from ? I like it.

So I solved my problem with the Races mod, I forgot to put it on "sprint".

It works now, should we use it in the challenge ?

lngSlGP.png