Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

@Triop - might I suggest that you update the OP to include the link for the track that will be used ... I'm itching to get the official version so I can find the best route between each checkpoint

I have managed to hit a top speed of over 170m/s on a flat and launch Bill's Bad Beaver to well over 700 meters and landed it with just the nosecone getting smashed ... I remembered the chutes this time :rolleyes:

Bill's Bad Beaver is all stock with 2 Juno's as the main drive ... Bill will be driving so he can pack the chutes after he takes his Bad Beaver to new heights :wink:

6 minutes ago, Triop said:

What mod is that frame from ? I like it.

So I solved my problem with the Races mod, I forgot to put it on "sprint".

It works now, should we use it in the challenge ?

lngSlGP.png

I'm down with Races. Never used it before, but I can agree it would help. 

The mod is something me and @SpannerMonkey(smce) Have been working on. 

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152597-12x-structural-tubing/&page=1

14 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@Triop - might I suggest that you update the OP to include the link for the track that will be used ... I'm itching to get the official version so I can find the best route between each checkpoint

I have managed to hit a top speed of over 170m/s on a flat and launch Bill's Bad Beaver to well over 700 meters and landed it with just the nosecone getting smashed ... I remembered the chutes this time :rolleyes:

Bill's Bad Beaver is all stock with 2 Juno's as the main drive ... Bill will be driving so he can pack the chutes after he takes his Bad Beaver to new heights :wink:

Well, the new map looks like this now:

sfX1IYZ.png

I want the start of Stage 1 next to the runway.

Final stage will be Stage 7 ---> Stage 2.

Working on setting up gates right now using the Races! mod.

That takes some time since I need to fly and land at every stage.

There will be plenty of time guys, the challenge won't start before January 1st !

But it will be awesome. &)

12 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Vessel mover will help with that ... launch a craft and just move it to where you need it :wink:

I know, but where is the fun in that ? :D

B.t.w. Is it possible to make maps of the stages ?

Just done testing stage 2, MAN THAT STAGE IS HELL !

Have to remember to start early in the day, got stuck in the dark . . .

L41Dx7U.png

Also lost a battery,headlight and a solar panel, pfffff

JVgjd4r.png

Took me over 4 hours, I'm going to set the rules to 24 hours (or should it be 6 ?)per stage. If you are not in by then, Dakar will be over for you.

Well that was a lot of fun ! Going to install Kis/Kas now to give my car some new parts.. ^_^

Edited by Triop

5 hours ago, Triop said:

You may repair, refuel, even replace your vehicle, BUT it will cost you a lot off time.

So we're allowed to refuel/repair after each stage without penalty, and during the stages it incurs a time penalty?

I second DoctorDavinci's suggestion of updating the OP when the rules/map get updated. Not everyone will read every post in the thread before starting. And some will probably start early anyway. :D

Also, would my (stock) "truck" fall under the "Fuel" category? :)

6 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

So we're allowed to refuel/repair after each stage without penalty, and during the stages it incurs a time penalty?

I second DoctorDavinci's suggestion of updating the OP when the rules/map get updated. Not everyone will read every post in the thread before starting. And some will probably start early anyway. :D

Also, would my (stock) "truck" fall under the "Fuel" category? :)

As long as it does not fly it can enter.

Give me some time guys, I will update the OP as soon™ as I can.

7 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Also, if you ask nicely, perhaps @Azimech would let you use his custom wheel sounds :wink:

Please @Azimech, give us your sounds, my buggy sounds like a vacuum cleaner....^_^

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

And sure, you guys can use my custom vehicle sounds, no need to ask.

Missed that.. Link ?

1 hour ago, Eidahlil said:

No time penalty for repairing/refueling after a stage.

During a stage repairing/refueling will make you lose time anyway, so also no penalty there.

Well the track is ready, the savegame is needed for the flags but you don't necessarily need it if you are going to use the Races! mod. https://www.dropbox.com/home

I updated the OP so everyone can download.

From now on I will be working on writing out the challenge.

I also still need to test stage 3,4,5,6,7...But I hope someone else will beat me to it. ^_^

2 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Right, so I'm going to start designing tomorrow. :) 

Great, I see including me there are 10 brave people who will take on this challenge. &)

We have a competition gentlemen, goodluck. ^_^

3 hours ago, Triop said:

Well the track is ready, the savegame is needed for the flags but you don't necessarily need it if you are going to use the Races! mod. https://www.dropbox.com/home

I updated the OP so everyone can download.

From now on I will be working on writing out the challenge.

I also still need to test stage 3,4,5,6,7...But I hope someone else will beat me to it. ^_^

You need to provide a share link as clicking on the download link you have provided takes me to my dropbox

click on 'share' beside the name of the directory or file you want to share on dropbox, then in the window that pops up click on get link and then copy link ... paste the copied link into your posts

35 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

You need to provide a share link as clicking on the download link you have provided takes me to my dropbox

click on 'share' beside the name of the directory or file you want to share on dropbox, then in the window that pops up click on get link and then copy link ... paste the copied link into your posts

Sorry, I am such a tool..:sealed:

Test :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/155akm78z9tikid/AACLwrqKupxkEX0FwKx-wCWua?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mxsq6fmm5tr45ge/AACL6unSUa4EwujRXbINuY12a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0ip1favriie212x/AACUWd5l0LCUdPE3d3rK0c81a?dl=0

I hope this works ?

Edited by Triop

3 hours ago, Triop said:

Working now ....

EDIT: @Triop- Your missing the stage 6 flag :rolleyes:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@Triop - What happened to Bill?

Stage 3 happened, remember, Dakar is no game, people die.

Thanks for caring, R.I.P. Bill

In memoriam

xllfbJg.png

Warning to anybody who thinks this challenge will be a cup of cake...

4 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Ok ... I hired a new Bill (more like resurrected him :wink:)

DoctorDavinci, I will call you DoctorFrankenstein from now on . . .

Ow well, you made his family very happy. ^_^

Have you seen the roadmaps ?

Do you like it ?

Edited by Triop

3 hours ago, Triop said:

DoctorDavinci, I will call you DoctorFrankenstein from now on . . .

Ow well, you made his family very happy. ^_^

Have you seen the roadmaps ?

Do you like it ?

Yup, I like it ... However don't expect me to take the route that you have laid out as I make my own roads :cool: