How do you pronounce 'VTOL'?

Fireheart318

I'm assuming The Lounge is the place for off-topic discussions, don't kill me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

How do YOU pronounce VTOL?

Each individual letter: Vee-Tee-Oh-Ell?

As a word: Vee-toll?

Mashed together: V'Toll?

Or something else entirely?

I'm in the letters camp myself

Edited by Fireheart318

On 10/12/2016 at 3:47 AM, 5thHorseman said:

The word "Toll" rhymes with "roll" as in "if we don't get no tolls, then we don't eat no rolls" and I don't say it that way. I say it more like "tall"

Vee-tall.

Genuine question, in what accent does toll rhyme with roll? To me as an Englishman and specifically a Brummie, they're different, toll has a shorter o and rhymes with doll, while roll has a longer o and rhymes with bowl. As in the author, "It's Rowling like bowling!". And tall is an a, like fall.

For the original question, Vee-toll.

3 hours ago, cantab said:

Genuine question, in what accent does toll rhyme with roll? To me as an Englishman and specifically a Brummie, they're different, toll has a shorter o and rhymes with doll, while roll has a longer o and rhymes with bowl. As in the author, "It's Rowling like bowling!". And tall is an a, like fall.

For the original question, Vee-toll.

Amusingly, I was quoting a movie where the person was speaking in a (possibly faked, I'm no expert) British English accent. And another character in that same movie makes a point to say that his British accent is NOT faked, which makes me think they may have paid attention a little more than normal.

They also rhyme in American English, which I am pretty fluent in :D

Edited by 5thHorseman

On 12/10/2016 at 1:02 PM, razark said:

You "vee-tall" people know it's Vertical Take Off and Landing, not Vertical Takeoff And Landing, right?

Yes. But "vee-tall" rolls off the tongue just a little bit faster than "vee-toll" does.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.