Is it stupid to use Bob (scientist) early career?

I've been using Bob early career because the text in KSP claims scientists get more science for doing science, which makes sense, but I watch Scott Manley use Jeb and Val, and ignore Bob in his play thoroughs.  I'm wondering if it's because he knows how to get to places outside Kerbin's influence for more science, or if it's just so much easier to make the Mun/Minmus landing with SAS/RCS with a pilot that it's worth the loss of science.  Am I just being retarded using Bob and no sas to do a Mun/Minmus science run?   I know that Bob lets me reset mystery goo, and the science Jr, so that's a point in favor, but I don't see the seasoned players dealing with the extra problems that having no stability assist gives putting up with Bob, until they are putting a Science station in orbit somewhere.

If I started using Jeb/Val/some other pilot early, can I take Bob along later (larger rocket with 2+ kerbals, or just mount a probe on it to give SAS)  to pick up his bonus science for things I got with a non-Scientist later?  I'm sure when I get better, and can pull off manned missions outside Kerbin's influence, I won't care about a few points of science, but for early career, every point helps, and if Bob gives me a few extra points, I'm putting up with no SAS for them.

Scientist no longer boost science gain. For the first few missions, Pilots are much better because they have access to SAS. Without the Astronaut Complex upgrade, they cannot EVA and this is where Scientist first shine. The major benefit of Scientist early is being able to reset experiments. You can take multiple Mystery goo / Material study experiments without having to bring extra copies. This allows for some pretty efficient and lucrative mun / minmus fly-by / orbit missions. But when they really start to shine is once you unlock the "Mobile Processing Lab MPL-LG-2" (known as "Lab"). It allows to boost your science gain tremendously but needs to be operated by one or more scientists. At this point in the game, Pilots have become quite superfluous because probe cores can do their job much better for lower mass. A niche application might be the newly added remote control feature for which I think pilots are required.

EDIT: wording

Edited by Three_Pounds

Depending on how many biomes you plan to hit, resetting the goo and SciJr can be vital. And if you have a reasonable amount of science unlocked, then an OKTO is just one research step away -- and it's a pretty necessary step to take at some point early in the game anyway. But yes, you must either have a pilot or an OKTO on your ship. An OKTO gives you the freedom to bring Bob instead of a pilot. And in fact, I always go that route. My first major mission is a trip to Munmus with a science rover (including goo and SciJr) to hit all 9 biomes -- which means I unlock that OKTO damned quick and send Bob.

Once you're able to go on EVA and have the ability to take passengers to the Mun/Minmus, you can always take Bob (or any other scientist) along as a passenger to reset experiments that need it.  As mentioned above, it's worth leveling up your scientists if you plan on using the Mobile Processing Lab.

SAS makes your life a whole lot easier, so in the early going it's worth it to stick with pilots just for safety's sake. Once you've unlocked the OKTO, remember that you also need adequate comms to make sure it doesn't drop out during a critical moment.

Once I get into exploring, I bring a crew of 4, a mothership/ tanker, and a fully-reusable lander. Bob (or whoever) comes in handy then for resetting all of my experiments.

Also, "stupid" is a highly pejorative term. You won't find many stupid people playing KSP for kicks. Just a lot of smart people getting the job done different ways.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.