Wii U launch date, or has it been cancelled?

SouthernFried

I'm going to quote myself when somebody asked for the PS4 Europe release date last week:

On 2-12-2016 at 9:21 PM, Tex_NL said:

I can understand your anxiety to start playing KSP. But KSP on console is a mess! You're probably better of NOT playing.

I was hanging onto hope that the following statement made by Nintendo's Marketing director was accurate, and that a great KSP experience was possible on a console.

We feel we have the definitive version on Wii U because of our interface…You’ll be able to utilize the touchscreen and the GamePad in a number of different ways from actually building the spacecraft and navigating the spacecraft and even getting different perspectives. You’ll be able to fly the spacecraft from the cockpit utilizing the GamePad as a different viewpoint.

3 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

I'm going to quote myself when somebody asked for the PS4 Europe release date last week:

While i can understand the anticipation, the console releases have sofar been a complete disaster with a broken version being released (its really not fun to have your saves corrupted constantly) with recently, a complete blackout on future goals/current development.

Now im not saying it wont ever be done on the WII, but the best advice i can offer to you (and anyone else considering buying it on console) is to be patient and cautious, sofar it looks like the development of the console versions is dead in the water or at the least proceeding extremely slowly.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello o/

This thread was made a while back, but we think it's necessary to shed some light regarding this topic...

The industry landscape changed since we made that announcement. Although we were excited to release this port, external factors are forcing us to reevaluate if it is the right move for Kerbal Space Program. It is still to soon to give you a definite decision, so we'll give you more detailed information in the future.

Thanks!

If you cancel it then I think that can only be a good thing for KSP. 

Certain games lend themselves to certain platforms because of the available interfaces and such. KSP and consoles are not a good mix. 

Just build a nice fat DLC for the PC with lots of new planets & tech and let us throw money at you. Don't continue with the thankless and grief-heavy task of messing with consoles. 

Edited by Foxster

Agreed there will never be KSP on Wii. I would bet real money on it. The way FT handled the ports scared Squad and rightly so. I just hope the good folks who paid full price for it on Xbox and PS4 get a proper working game for their money and can finally enjoy probably the best video game ever made.

Hey squad team. Have you made your mind up yet about the wii u release?  Like the creator of this thread i have also been waiting excitedly to play this since it was announced it would be released on wii u, so could you please make a decision either way soon? Or at least ask nintendo to update the release date on their website?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Me personally, I bought a switch, and so far, only have Zelda for it, but there's easily half a dozen titles just in the upcoming months that I'm interested in, and I'm actually rather impressed with the little system! As far as KSP is concerned, I have it on my Mac, and that's great. I could never justify a reason to also get it for my PS4... Why? What I COULD see though, is me getting it for my Switch, so I could have portable KSP. That, I rather like the idea of. The Switch is already more powerful than the Wii U, so there's that too.

Interestingly, People have already confirmed that the switch works with keyboards plugged into the dock's USB port (when the unit is in docked mode), and when in handheld mode, it has a touch screen. I don't know if mouse support exists, when in docked mode, but just the fact the console's already been proven to recognize USB Keyboards is a good sign. That's actually pretty cool, and I'd fully support the idea of a Switch port having optional support for full keyboard controls. Currently, the only use so far for keyboard support has been the ability to type stuff for text entry boxes, not for controls, but the fact that support is there means a developer could choose to support it optionally. As an example, you can plug a USB keyboard into a Switch dock, when the unit is docked, and say... type in the name you want to give your horse, in Zelda). That's actually fully supported!

** Just looked it up, and it looks like it's also been confirmed as working with keyboards via USB C OTG adapters, when using the Switch in handheld mode.

Edited by richfiles

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.