Apollo 11:In KSP

SpaceFanatic10

Apollo 11 was the first spacecraft to land on the Moon,and im gonna recreate it in KSP!

The lander:a9uufp7.jpg

The rocket (its really big):

t4SIJpL.jpg

Launch in 3..2..1

a1KqLz5.png

LIFTOFF!!

9vYSsLK.png

LATER....

AUt6NDB.png

Yay! Orbit achieved!

10 MINUTES LATER...

JJkU9Ck.png

Awesome,a mun encounter!

nKbaz1m.png

Almost there....

wEZBHb3.png

YES!!!!

v7eRlaJ.jpg

Getting closer!

gGN3Qkm.png

Yes.....!

zxYX3sZ.png

YEAA!!!!! Succesful landing!

That's one small step for kerbals,one giant leap for kerbalkind!

31 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Then perhaps you should try to recreate Saturn V, because that thing is not even close to it. Not to mention weird lander (cupola? Relay antenna?), also I can't see any CSM.

I agree, it looks like this could have more effort put into this. Not saying I'm the best at making Saturn-Vs, but this could be way better. 100% on what @The Aziz.

Well congratulations on the Mün landing, especially if it was your first landing or you hadn't done many before!

But yes - apart from the 'landing on the Moon' part, it wasn't a great recreation of Apollo 11. You're missing one Münwalker apart from anything else. :) With that said, doing a good Apollo style mission is KSP is surprisingly hard. There are a lot of extra steps such as transposition and docking, using a two-stage lander and lunar orbit rendezvous which were needed in real life (because physics) but can be ignored in KSP.

53 minutes ago, KSK said:

Well congratulations on the Mün landing, especially if it was your first landing or you hadn't done many before!

But yes - apart from the 'landing on the Moon' part, it wasn't a great recreation of Apollo 11. You're missing one Münwalker apart from anything else. :) With that said, doing a good Apollo style mission is KSP is surprisingly hard. There are a lot of extra steps such as transposition and docking, using a two-stage lander and lunar orbit rendezvous which were needed in real life (because physics) but can be ignored in KSP.

Except for two-stage lander, I do kinda- Apollo style missions every time I go to the Mun: Big-ass black-and-white rocket (I do only one stage for orbit, it's cheaper), lander packed between launch stage and CSM, detachment of CSM and lander in orbit, turnaround of CSM and docking to lander again, burn for Mun encounter, low orbit, lander detachment, landing, doing whatever needs to be done on surface, launch back to orbit, rendezvous with CMS, dropping lander into the Mun surface, burn for home, re-entry, parachutes, done.
I wish I had pics of my rocket, but you can trust me it's very similar, for stock KSP.

2 hours ago, SpaceFanatic10 said:

YEAA!!!!! Succesful landing!

That's one small step for kerbals,one giant leap for kerbalkind!

Congratulations young one! (and by young I mean in Kerbal terms, nothing disparaging!)

My first mun landing made me feel exactly the same way. Don't let these others get you down, they read 'Apollo' and think it means you've made an exact replica of the mission (down to the leaky oxygen valve on Apollo XIII). They forget that Apollo was primarily a mission to the moon, and that everything else - LEM, Saturn V, Orbiter etc - were just a way to deliver that mission goal.

Getting to Mun is massive. Now, how about getting back alive? :wink:

Please guys. Not everyone spend a million hours doing exact replicas.

@OP: Nice job on getting there, touching down on the Mun is the moment you really step into KSP, and a celebratory thread is in order. Now, off to Minmus and Duna with you.

That being said, if you want to really dig into replica, Bluedog Design Bureau has some really nice models to start. Personally, my use of Surface Experiment Pack necessitates a full mission with a two stage lander docking to a CSM for return.

13 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

Landing on the Mun is awesome. The first time is the best time. Congrats.

Indeed it is. Together with first orbit and first rendezvous/docking it's one of the major milestones. Once you've mastered those three you're ready to graduate to the big league.

Congratulations.

What you  just accomplished is very close to the surveyor missions that preceded apollo.  

Since you have done that, now you can press forward with an actual apollo style mission.  Do a bit of research first, then build a replica, Fly it and post another report!

Keep up the great fun!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.