Hohmann Transfers In KSP

BlockTrooper

Well yeah, I have been trying to perfect a Hohmann transfer in KSP (which is how to find velocity at a certain point in a orbit. To find V (Velocity) You need to do GM(2/r-2/a) which would be 1.766E+9(2/300,000- 2/300,000) For a minimus orbit that has a perigee of 300,000 meters and you want to know exactly how fast you are going at your perigee of 300,000 meters. Does anyone know how to decipher 1.766E+9 ??? I don't know how to convert it to scientific notation. And that means I cant make the calculation!!! Any help appreciated!

1.766E+9 is (a variation of) the scientific notation, meaning 1.766*(10^9) or 1.766*1000000000.

Hope that helps.

Edit: ... but 1.766E+9(2/300,000- 2/300,000) smells like 0 or 1 depending on where the bracketed eypression belongs to, or am i mistaken ?

Orbital speed formula: v = sqrt( G*M * ( 2/r - 1/a ) ) where a = semimajor orbit axis, r is altitude of orbiting body above center of M, which is for the ease of it the mass of the planet/moon (but see why !) and G is approx. 6.674×10−11 N⋅m2/kg2 (pasted from elsewhere).

Edited by Green Baron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.