K-Drive 122 The Kraken Returns

EladDv

The Kraken Drive returns!

After looking at people making wheels using legs and 2 separate crafts and such I've decided to dig deeper. My efforts have proven successful: Download

http://imgur.com/a/rWE3A

(for some reason cant see how to embed imgur...no i on the right.)

Edited by EladDv

51 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

Have you already tested how it reacts from the ground ? (At least, to check if Krakensbane got modified a bit :p)

no...wait just a moment

EDIT: it flies uncontrollably. Just not at 15Gs

Edited by EladDv

Does it function in atmosphere?

EDIT: Nvm, hadn't refreshed the page before posting.

1 hour ago, EladDv said:

no...wait just a moment

EDIT: it flies uncontrollably. Just not at 15Gs

Edited by andrew123

I was kind of surprised these still worked. They even managed to kill the landed magnet drive, yet not multi-entity pushing stuff. I'm glad you don't need to have a blob of panels like I did last time, makes for much more manageable systems. Why did you choose the service bay? In my past experience they tend to be fragile when using part clipping. (I guess you added struts to compensate?)

1 hour ago, Majorjim! said:

So this is two separate craft? If not I am very surprised as Squad said they killed legs and wheels interacting with the parent craft. It was causing all kinds of issues..

Yes. Both versions I have work via legs from one craft pushing on a different reattach-able craft. The second craft is a force mediator that makes the legs collide which creates a force on the original craft. The amazing thing is that with this tech it also works in atmo which makes it very powerful 

2 hours ago, Stevie The Crusher said:

I was kind of surprised these still worked. They even managed to kill the landed magnet drive, yet not multi-entity pushing stuff. I'm glad you don't need to have a blob of panels like I did last time, makes for much more manageable systems. Why did you choose the service bay? In my past experience they tend to be fragile when using part clipping. (I guess you added struts to compensate?)

The inside is a 1.25m monoprop tank that is also constrained by panels inside. The bay is there to help constrain the tank and keeps it with the parent craft

Edited by EladDv

The Kraken Lives.

http://imgur.com/a/lhWej

I ran with this. Never experienced a "Kraken Drive" before.

Here is the Kraken one:3oAZhYK.png

Wee bit unstable but a definite proof of concept.

Kraken two:yiq2swQ.png

It floated like a toy balloon then suddenly:4yfMOCI.png

The G-Meter was pegged at 15. Until the central warp core exploded (Maybe it was ejected...It happened really fast):3OKjYBm.png

Currently flying the Kraken three:RNHS9ph.png

oTu00NG.png

H1HGaWI.png

It flies like a toy balloon. Not sure how this would be usable. Maybe if it reaches space I can point it somewhere.....It climbs at less than 500 m/s m/min and you can't use warp. I don't think you can anyway. The warp core should pass right through no? I don't dare touch it right now.

Through 2300 m.

ME

EDIT:

Conclusion? Not really sure.

I was playing with the brakes because the wheels turn. It seemed to affect the stability and the surface speed a bit. I guess it centered just right as it leaped in the air at 15g+. Then the core exploded around 23Km.

F3 says "Structural Fuselage exploded due to overheating"

Edited by Martian Emigrant

@Martian Emigrant

it seems Krakensbane code is still in the game :)

basically, squad put some code that kicks in above roughly 700m/s to prevent 'Kraken attacks'

Below 700 m/s, krakendrives only goes to 3 / 5 m/s vertical speed - above 700, gives insane accelerations :) - so, beware when crossing the treshold with the drive active :wink:

- especially when using it for a retrograde burn - it's like dropping an anchor attached to the wheels of a dragster going full speed :)

happenned to me pre 1.0 - i was testing a spaceplane equipped with a krakendrive, and the thing kept on either breaking apart, or having the krakendrive just vanish from the craft each time i got below the treshold when trying to circularise with the drive around mün :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

14 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

@Martian Emigrant

basically, squad put some code that kicks in above roughly 700m/s to prevent 'Kraken attacks'

Below 700 m/s, krakendrives only goes to 3 / 5 m/s vertical speed - above 700, gives insane accelerations :) - so, beware when crossing the treshold with the drive active :wink:

- especially when using it for a retrograde burn - it's like dropping an anchor attached to the wheels of a dragster going full speed :)

happenned to me pre 1.0 - i was testing a spaceplane equipped with a krakendrive, and the thing kept on either breaking apart, or having the krakendrive just vanish from the craft each time i got below the treshold when trying to circularise with the drive around mün :)

I am totaly new to the Dark-Arts. Kraken One was just about 600m when it went insane.

But Kraken three was above 8km... More experiment required.

ME

1 hour ago, sgt_flyer said:

@Martian Emigrant

This type of drive isnt affected from Krakensbane - I've produced 80+ G's of acceleration from 30m/s and it would just turn on and off when the aerodynamics kicks and knocks it out of alignment.

The Kraken Lives.

http://imgur.com/a/lhWej

I ran with this. Never experienced a "Kraken Drive" before.

Here is the Kraken one:3oAZhYK.png

Wee bit unstable but a definite proof of concept.

Kraken two:yiq2swQ.png

It floated like a toy balloon then suddenly:4yfMOCI.png

The G-Meter was pegged at 15. Until the central warp core exploded (Maybe it was ejected...It happened really fast):3OKjYBm.png

Currently flying the Kraken three:RNHS9ph.png

oTu00NG.png

H1HGaWI.png

It flies like a toy balloon. Not sure how this would be usable. Maybe if it reaches space I can point it somewhere.....It climbs at less than 500 m/s m/min and you can't use warp. I don't think you can anyway. The warp core should pass right through no? I don't dare touch it right now.

Through 2300 m.

ME

EDIT:

Conclusion? Not really sure.

I was playing with the brakes because the wheels turn. It seemed to affect the stability and the surface speed a bit. I guess it centered just right as it leaped in the air at 15g+. Then the core exploded around 23Km.

F3 says "Structural Fuselage exploded due to overheating"

this is great! a few suggestions- add an accelerometer to measure G's beyond 15 or use the F3 tab (there's a max acceleration tab), the core explodes due to overheating (you're traveling at 1.2+ Km/s in lower atmo- you're gonna generate a lot of heat) for optimal testing i use space (just warp it there with the cheat menu at Alt+F12)

Edited by EladDv

6 minutes ago, EladDv said:

This type of drive isnt affected from Krakensbane - I've produced 80+ G's of acceleration from 30m/s and it would just turn on and off when the aerodynamics kicks and knocks it out of alignment.

this is great! a few suggestions- add an accelerometer to measure G's beyond 15 or use the F3 tab (there's a max acceleration tab), the core explodes due to overheating (you're traveling at 1.2+ Km/s in lower atmo- you're gonna generate a lot of heat) for optimal testing i use space (just warp it there with the cheat menu at Alt+F12)

I understand the atmospheric heating. My design doesn’t set-right in zero-G. I need to understand first and redesign so I can go on and off. I can't shut off right now. the Cylinder moves way too much.

ME

Built a Kraken-Drive-MarkII.

Unfaired test flight.

L6hGr1g.png

The faired version was good fun until the g-meter exploded (I did leave it on the outside).

pTkPSwm.png

And then the warp drive fell out.

fAXcL88.png

Leaving me High-And-Dry.

So unless someone knows how to warp the ship to the next manoeuvre node without the core falling out the tech is, for me, useless.

Not being able to warp ever makes this worst than Ion-Drive. One can warp between burns with Ions....

Going to Jool in real time is not my cup of tea.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

3 hours ago, EladDv said:

I've been using the Klaw to do the attachments, it makes it much easier since i dont need to fiddle around with small docking ports or rotations (though a smaller version will need the 0.625m ports) 

I am rather intransigent when it comes to KSP these days. I only ever think small. :D

9 hours ago, EladDv said:

I've been using the Klaw to do the attachments, it makes it much easier since i dont need to fiddle around with small docking ports or rotations (though a smaller version will need the 0.625m ports) 

Clever.

You push on the debris then you grab it before warping.

Very clever.

ME

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.