[1.4.1] Take Command Continued- Launch Kerbals in External Command Seats

linuxgurugamer

Just a heads up on the command seat:

Clearance around the seat is a big consideration. If there are any objects or structures that the game considers "too close" to the seat this can cause the kerbal to jump out and/or not stay in the seat.

2 hours ago, GDJ said:

Just a heads up on the command seat:

Clearance around the seat is a big consideration. If there are any objects or structures that the game considers "too close" to the seat this can cause the kerbal to jump out and/or not stay in the seat.

Well, yes, but if the seats can be used normally, then the mod should allow them to be used at launch.  Which is why I need to look at it.

On 13/12/2016 at 2:52 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Wish I could take credit for it, but this fix was actually done by @GFX5000i, you can read about it in the previous thread.  I just tested it, packaged it up and released it.

On 13/12/2016 at 5:07 AM, Mandella said:

This is excellent work. Thank you to both of you!

I am glad the fix helped but the mod is still has some bugs.

These are the known issues I noticed while playing and testing:

• Too many seats in the vessel at launch will take a while to transfer all kerbals. Could break the vessel.
  • Transferring a kerbal to an occupied seat will eject one of the kerbals. . . forcefully.
  • A vessel could be considered to have more internal crew space than it actually has. (+1 for each seat)
  • This mod seems to add an IVA to the seat so activating the internal view will show a big IVA on each external seat on the vessel.

Most of these problems are related to how the game handles external seats and crew transfers:

• To move to an external seat the kerbal must be on EVA and with the camera focused on. You cannot directly add a kerbal to the seat by code. This mod is just a workaround.
  • I could not find any way to cancel or block a crew transfer.

The only fixes I can imagine:

• SQUAD implementing this mod as default or adding some public functions to directly add a kerbal into the seat by code.
  • SQUAD adding an event handler for before the crew transfer happens, with info on the target and origin modules.
  • Remove the default IVA view or replace it with a smaller one.

The good news is that if you use the mod as intended (adding a few seats for a rover/lander/plane and not making a bad crew transfers to them) it will work properly.

Unfortunately, I do not know much about KSP’s code library so I hope this information help @linuxgurugamer or anyone else when making any future changes to the mod.

4 hours ago, GFX5000i said:

• Transferring a kerbal to an occupied seat will eject one of the kerbals. . . forcefully.

That isn't a feature?

:)

I did notice that pressing C does not give me any sort of IVA view, and that yes I have to be in external view to get in a chair.

Still, this fix lets me actually use the small fleet of open top rovers I have on the Mun, so a net win!

Here is a MM patch for @Snark's Better Crew Assignment for those that use it.

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[TakeCommand]:HAS[~minimumCrew[0]]]:AFTER[TakeCommand]
{
    MODULE 
    {
        name = ModuleCrewAssignment
        defaultAssignment = Crew
    }
}

@linuxgurugamer feel free to use it if you like.

Cheers,

Edited by Stratickus

4 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Hide contents

{
    MODULE 
    {
        defaultAssignment = Crew
    }
}

Cheers,

Thanks

7 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Reveal hidden contents

{
    MODULE 
    {
        defaultAssignment = Crew
    }
}

One suggestion:  should have a :NEEDS[BetterCrewAssignment] qualifier on that first line.  Otherwise, the patch will make KSP log an error message if BetterCrewAssignment isn't installed-- it'll yell about "cannot find any module called ModuleCrewAssignment" or the like.

On 12/23/2016 at 10:02 AM, Snark said:

One suggestion:  should have a :NEEDS[BetterCrewAssignment] qualifier on that first line.  Otherwise, the patch will make KSP log an error message if BetterCrewAssignment isn't installed-- it'll yell about "cannot find any module called ModuleCrewAssignment" or the like.

Thanks, I've amended it to the following:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[TakeCommand]:NEEDS[BetterCrewAssignment]:HAS[~minimumCrew[0]]]:AFTER[TakeCommand]

@TheKurgan and others who want to have some of the parts which have multiple seats built in, such as the EAS-316 "Meadowlark" Observation Pod in SXT Continued.  I have it fixed and working with (for that part) one or two kerbals.

Because MM can't know how many KerbalSeat modules are in a part, I need to code a patch for each part which has a built-in KerbalSeat.  So, if you know of any other parts with built-in KerbalSeats, please let me know.

I'll be releasing the next version with these patches this afternoon.

On 12/22/2016 at 9:59 AM, GFX5000i said:

I am glad the fix helped but the mod is still has some bugs.

These are the known issues I noticed while playing and testing:

• Too many seats in the vessel at launch will take a while to transfer all kerbals. Could break the vessel.
  • A vessel could be considered to have more internal crew space than it actually has. (+1 for each seat)
  • This mod seems to add an IVA to the seat so activating the internal view will show a big IVA on each external seat on the vessel.

Most of these problems are related to how the game handles external seats and crew transfers:

• To move to an external seat the kerbal must be on EVA and with the camera focused on. You cannot directly add a kerbal to the seat by code. This mod is just a workaround.
  • I could not find any way to cancel or block a crew transfer.

The only fixes I can imagine:

• SQUAD implementing this mod as default or adding some public functions to directly add a kerbal into the seat by code.
  • SQUAD adding an event handler for before the crew transfer happens, with info on the target and origin modules.
  • Remove the default IVA view or replace it with a smaller one.

The good news is that if you use the mod as intended (adding a few seats for a rover/lander/plane and not making a bad crew transfers to them) it will work properly.

Unfortunately, I do not know much about KSP’s code library so I hope this information help @linuxgurugamer or anyone else when making any future changes to the mod.

I can't see the issue with the IVA you mention above.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Because MM can't know how many KerbalSeat modules are in a part, I need to code a patch for each part which has a built-in KerbalSeat.  So, if you know of any other parts with built-in KerbalSeats, please let me know.

I'll be releasing the next version with these patches this afternoon.

That's AWESOME! Thanks man!

The only other part I can think of, off top of my head, is the Jetwing from Buffalo, it has the KerbalSeat module but no model. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any right now.

Cheers, and merry Christmas.

1 hour ago, TheKurgan said:

That's AWESOME! Thanks man!

The only other part I can think of, off top of my head, is the Jetwing from Buffalo, it has the KerbalSeat module but no model. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of any right now.

Cheers, and merry Christmas.

The Buffalo also has the ATV command seat, thanks

The JetWing has some collision issues, so it isn't working, I think the model may need to be reworked a bit

I have the patch, so at least you can launch with it, and just need to board once launched.

The other two are working.

I'm going to wait a bit to see if any others pop up, then I'll release later this evening

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release with support for more mods:

1.4.4:

• - Added patch for WildBlueIndustries
  • - Added patch for USI Exploration
  • - Added patch for NESDparts

I have 64 mods... I'm an addict. I have 2 of the 3 you just mentioned... 

1 minute ago, Climberfx said:

Hey @linuxgurugamer, TakeCommand.version still set to last version...

And if you wanna add support for Omicron, i'll be glad. (besides i already included config inside the mod for it)

Get me the Omicron info, I'll take care of it in a few minutes

Make sure you just downlaoded the correct version, the correct info is in the .version file

Great. Redownloaded and nos is all ok.

Here's Omicron info:

O_seat.mu

O_seat.cfg

PART
{
//Basic
    name = O_seat
    module = Part
    author = ClimberFX
    //mesh = O_seat.mu
    MODEL
    {
        model = Omicron/Parts/O_seat
    }
    rescaleFactor = 1.25
    tags = chair control seat climberfx omicron

//Node
    // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
    attachRules = 1,1,0,1,0
    node_stack = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0
    node_attach = 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, -1.0, 0

//Cost & RD
    TechRequired = start
    entryCost = 0
    cost = 250

//Description
    category = Pods
    subcategory = 0
    title = Omicron Seat
    manufacturer = ClimberFX
    description = This is a Seat for Crew Module. Be aware that the seat ejection system will troll you out of the craft, even with windows closed. 

//Drag
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.01
    minimum_drag = 0.01
    angularDrag = 1

//Physical
    mass = 0.08
    crashTolerance = 50
    breakingForce = 250
    breakingTorque = 250
    maxTemp = 1200
    fuelCrossFeed = True
    bulkheadProfiles = seat

//Modules
    MODULE
    {
        name = KerbalSeat
        seatPivotName = seatPivot  
        ejectDirection = 0, 1, 0.2
    }

CrewCapacity = 1
    MODULE
    {
        name = TakeCommand
        minimumCrew = 1
    }

INTERNAL
    {
          name = GenericSpace1
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
        passable = true
        passableWhenSurfaceAttached = true
    }

}

As soon as you release update i update here and remove the code inside. I'm thinking that way will be more politically correct, you know.

:wink:

Cheers

Edited by Climberfx

23 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release with support for more mods:

1.4.4:

• - Added patch for WildBlueIndustries
  • - Added patch for USI Exploration
  • - Added patch for NESDparts

@linuxgurugamer i don't know how to create a pull request on github (and did not want to mess something up) here is a patch to add Kerbonov KN2 seat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/raex8mklbvv27bq/Kerbonov-KN2.cfg?dl=0

I just modified your patch so that it includes the said seat

Just now, Climberfx said:

Great. Redownloaded and nos is all ok.

Here's Omicron info:

O_seat.mu

O_seat.cfg

Ok, I have it, but I'm not going to do another release right now, working on something else.  Besides, I think you should take that config out of the file so there won't be conflicts

For now, just put the following in a file:

@PART[O_seat]:HAS[@MODULE[KerbalSeat]]:FOR[TakeCommand]
{
	CrewCapacity = 1
	MODULE
	{
		name = TakeCommand
		minimumCrew = 1
	}
}

and when i do the next release, delete it.

2 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

@linuxgurugamer i don't know how to create a pull request on github (and did not want to mess something up) here is a patch to add Kerbonov KN2 seat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/raex8mklbvv27bq/Kerbonov-KN2.cfg?dl=0

I just modified your patch so that it includes the said seat

Thanks, looks good.  will be in the next release, in a day or so

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.